1UZ VVTi/2UZ non-VVTi alternators interchangeable?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

eicca

The alternators of the 1UZ/2UZ from 1998-2000 look almost identical. I was researching into this a while back, and someone mentioned the only real difference is an extra mounting tab on the 2UZ alt that can be ground off. The plugs are the same shape.

Can anyone confirm if the mounting tabs would line up, and if the pinout is the same? This could be a real cheap easy way to get a few extra amps out of a 1UZ system.

I swap early 1uz, 1uz vvti and 3uz vvti alternators all the time. The same alternator I supply is also listed for 2uz. I supply a 100amp and 110amp which is fine for most applications we see as most of ours are conversions. I think the 3uz alternator is listed as a 130amp.

Does the 3UZ alt have the same plug? For some reason I have it in my head that the plug is different.

The early 1uz have a round plug then they swap to a rectangle(With rounded edges) all the way through to into the 3uz. I'm dealing with up to ucf30 3uz 2002 so far. You may find issues with that some may run an active or inactive L terminal but in all my jobs so far I'm removing the ecu control of the alternator.

Any specific years with the ECU control that I have to watch out for? How easy is it to defeat if needed?

From memory ECU control started 9/97 onwards. Easy to wire without and the alternators have no issue running without it. The issue may be if a alternator with inactive L terminal regulator is fitted to an ECU control application.

I use JDM 1uz-fe vvti with alternator off 2jz-ge non-vvti , so I suppose that majority of toyota alternators are bolt on replacements
1uz vvti alternators fail for a number of reason
Since late 1997, one pin of alternator is connected to ECU, however it's not a control signal
Instead, that's charge light output
You can safely connect it to a LED