1UZ-TT for a track car? What to expect?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

SupraOfDoom

First I'll start off by saying hello and telling you guys about myself. My name is Matt and I am a long time MK3 Supra Turbo owner / fan. I have a MK3 carbon fiber stripped project car I'm looking to turn into a track car. I was original going to do a 2JZ-GTE but recently the way my car will end up the weight would be mostly in the front if I went this route. I hear the 1UZ could save me almost 150 lbs since it has an aluminum block. This appeals to me.

Recently I've been reading more and more about 1UZ's and I really want to know what I should be expecting. Perhaps I will list goals and some of you experts can tell me if the 1UZ can reach my goals and how hard it would be to reach them.

1: 500rwhp - 600rwhp with a fine tuned ( stand alone ect ) TT setup?

2: I hear the 1UZ can rev pretty well, but I also hear the head is a weak point. What should I be expecting out of it? What kind of RPM's could I get if I upgraded accordingly, and what are the actual weak points?

3: What are the limits of the stock bottom end as well as the rest of the motor? I plan on building but I'm curious.

4: What are the HP records like on these motors?

5: In your opinion is it a good, sturdy track motor?

Thanks guys :)

My project has a long long way to go but here is a preview for those interested : http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110590

Last edited:
Welcome to Lextreme. There are several twin turbo setups around, and your goals ought to be achievable with the right setup.

Try to get an early engine as the later ones have weaker rods and higher compression. Of course, if you're building, this may not be a consideration.

If you want any power above 5500 RPM, the stock intake manifold needs to be trashed as it's restrictive at higher RPM's. Plan on building a whole new intake system.

The heads need work on both the intake & exhaust sides to flow well. Later stock VVTi heads flow better than the early 1UZ, and some people feel the 2UZ heads are better than the early 1UZ. A set of Kelford cams wouldn't hurt either, and they're very helpful when it comes to making a special grind for the 1UZ.

Of course you'll need a new fuel system, and possibly a new ignition system, unless you're happy with a coil & distributor setup.

Not many of us have set big records yet on dynos, but a few have seen 800+ HP (big single turbo over in Thailand, built by a very sharp engineer/fabricator, and also a nice twin turbo setup built over in Sweden or Norway)

As regards it being a good sturdy track motor, JustenGT8 is your man. His setup was a stock, unopened motor, with twin turbos in a Toyota GT4, and he must have flogged it for a couple years before it finally let go.

There are not yet many vendors in the USA for hi performance parts, but you're already in one of the best places to find them right here at Lextreme. Have a look at http://www.lextreme.com/allgo.html for some interesting bits. Also, before you plunk down hard earned money, have a look at our Vendor Feedback area: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34 to see if your seller is above board.

Many driveline parts are available from Australia, and as you browse the board, you'll find references for them. If you don't find what you're looking for, just ask. We don't bite newbies too badly :D

Hey thanks so much for answering :). I will def look around at the vendors to see what's all available. I also plan on reading this site as much as I can for information.

Thanks again.

Are sigs and images automatically turned off by default on this forum? Strange.

All doable mate. My stock TT setup actually survived 5 years :) but only ran at the track at a lower 430rwhp (which was plenty).

A built engine will do 500rwhp easy and the more mods you do, the easier you'll get there with headroom for more.

It's all stripped in my garage. It's my project car I'm referring to. Didn't you used to post on SF and stuff?
haha, I did:D but I don't have any M or JZ based cars anymore so that forum doesn't really do me any good to browse around on. Good to see you here though!

Yeah wow it's been a long time since you used post there hasn't it? You registered in 02 on SF .. when was the last time you had a JZ / M car?

Don't worry though almost everybody that you knew on those forums have moved on... like you it seems.

On a side note, I'm actually thinking of getting an LS 400 or SC 400 for a daily driver. I would trade my MK3 turbo 5 speed for it, and drive it around until I have everything ready for the swap and build.

Is a MA70 Turbo 5 speed Targa an even trade?

I wanted to ask you.. since you moved from m/jz... thoughts on the 1UZ? Do you like it comparatively?
I miss the 7M-GE-T. It had down-low power the 1UZ could only dream of. It also had the capability (with a metal HG) to take more power than a 1UZ could on stock internals. That being said, the 1UZ is far more reliable, and you don't hear about blown head gaskets or spun rod bearings with these motors. The UZ also has more sophisticated engine controls that allow it to get better fuel economy. I've seen 30mpg before on highway trips with my LS400.
Other thoughts; junkyard UZ motors are dirt cheap because these motors so rarely fail, the M series is another story, and UZ parts from the dealer are very expensive. So you have advantages and disadvantages to this platform.

Nice job on getting all those parts replicated. That supra must be one of a kind. As for any OEM parts ask David, the forum owner/operator. He sells/can get a wide array of Toyota/Lexus parts without the insane markup. Good luck.