1UZ into my Off-Road Long Travel Tacoma

What type of finish for the aluminum parts that are left?

• A gruelling smooth and shiny polish.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A nice even and bright abrasive sanding.

• A quick acid wash to bleach them nice and bright.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
My new hood is on and everything is mounted securely. ALMOST DONE. I even got the radiator hoses to size and it's ready for oil and water. I'll put coolant in it when I'm convinced that nothing is going to leak! :)

tacoma_frontend_fab_67.jpg

All I have to do is mount the MAP sensor somewhere... preferably where the nasty black spot is on the intake manifold (where all the pesky emissions crap used to go :D). I should be able to fit it there unless anyone has any better ideas? I'm assuming I can mount the MAP sensor anywhere right?

tacoma_frontend_fab_65.jpg

I just realized that I don't have to mount it directly onto the manifold so it's a lot easier to install than I previously thought. Installing MAP sensors isn't something I do a lot of. :D Here is what I picked up. I'll just make a bracket and run a hose to it from one of the existing manifold air tubes - like the one just above the ISC on the front I guess.

tacoma_1uzinstall_71.jpg

Ok MAP sensor all mounted up - not like it was hard. Now where does this thingy go? I'm kidding! Just another plug in the web of electrical components. I need to order an LC-1 ASAP! Of course it won't stop me from firing up the engine but I'll need it to tune the computer of course.

tacoma_1uzinstall_76.jpg

Zuf - That pipe looking thing is actually sheething for a cable of some sort... so it doesn't get burned. I think it goes to the transmission, tach drive or something. It's pretty dirty from the years of abuse.

spf - And suspension... 18" in the back - I want to fab some mounts for some Jounce Shocks some time this year. The rear is SO nice on and offroad... no wheel hop at all! Of course I'll really test this out when the V8 is up and running soon. :D The front suspension is really, really good on Tacomas. If you properly mount some bump stops and have the proper tuned shocks it also simulates a longer travel setup. The rear suspension on Taco's is the absolute weak point of them when they head offroad but I have that taken care of for sure. Here is a new addition I have waiting for the front. I'm contemplating making some hardware to allow these to cycle further than they were designed... and then fab a set of lower control arms accordingly for more travel in the front. I can just put them on for now to get my IFS to cycle a little more. I'll have to do some more homework in order to modify for more travel - which isn't hard just down a couple notches on the todo list. At SEMA I talked to the guys at Icon (who made these) about such mods to them. They are pretty nice over there and they know who I am. I really want to make some lowers that would really just make the front suspension look insanely trick with these billet uppers. I have a lot on my mind for this new year... rollcage, front suspension, putting the crazy stereo back in and all of that. Money pit for sure. =]

I think I'll just be on a tour up and down CA enjoying this truck when the engine is running well. I have a lot of people that are waiting to see it and get a ride in it. I am not sure how soon I want to put the truck back in the shop for a couple weeks of welding and grinding. I luckily have some friends with a big metal shop that are willing to let me do everything there. They really want to help out so that will be a lot of fun and hopefully go by quickly. That requires some $$$ and some late nights designing things though. I just can't wait to enjoy the thing right now. Oh and it fits good now cause I cut out the whole front end! Fenders are the worst. I'm glad I just went ahead and did the whole front end. The facotry sheet metal was really annoying me when I was fitting the engine in before. It was always in the way and so weak and flimsy. I'll be making quick release aluminum panels later on. I have some hard plastic on the side I've been thinking of using for the time being.. and using them for templates when I want to make some aluminum ones.

capistrano_july_07.jpg

Last edited:
And moving on to more important things. :)

adaptronic_1uzinstall_01.jpg

Now if the dumb serial to usb adapters I have would just WORK with my Windows 7 64bit life would be easy... but nooOOooo. I have another hard drive with XP loaded so I'll be swapping these and moving on with loading the program on the unit. Fun stuff.

Nice looking arms dude, billet lowers too? Can't wait for your finished product!

What do you think of the wari software? I still haven't sorted mine out but this sumemr will be my D-day (I hope). Keep me informed if you manage to get everything tuned, I have some wiring/software bugs with mine right now.

This was what happened when I got a little too aggressive w/ the right foot and rear ended another truck that was over a blind hill (I wasnt too bright back in the day :rolleyes:)
mytaco1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man that's not good! What happened to the truck? Still have it? Sell me those front arms :D. I will be making steel lowers. The uppers can be billet but the lowers always have to be steel as there is no way aluminum can take the beating. That Taco looks awesome... just needs a new super tough bumper and some new fiberglass but it sounds like it's all in the past now.

Yeah I'm dying to get back to driving my truck. I'm not stopping until the 1UZ is running smoothly. I've been studying literature on it for the last two days and have become fairly familiar with everything. It should fire up in the morning when I get to working on it again. Earlier I set the TPS values at 0% and 100% and just now at midnight I set the ignition perimeters for Lex/1UZ so it knows when to ignite. I hope their aren't too many more tricks to just fire it up so I can hear it run. I don't have any turbos or anything to complicate the matter so I'm hoping the tuning will go well. Monday my LC-1 will be here and my radiator crack should be fixed. Must be patient. >:-\

Last edited:
FINALLY!!
icon_highfive.gif The 1uz comes to life! icon_highfive.gif

It only took a couple years but it's ALIVE!! Wow I actually feel a whole lot better. It's like all this time and $$ spent was worth something now. :D I've been working on this engine for SO long that I just had to tell myself that I need to keep at this project with continuous work or I'm cheating myself.

A big thanks to David for putting this forum up on the web and bringing us all together to share info on these machines. This forum is basically what encouraged me to do something that I really thought was just a dream. Thanks to everyone who has helped me and basically everyone who takes part in this forum. Ahhhh I'm ready to drive my truck almost. What a feeling to hear a project fire to life. I'll post pics of course but here's a link to the video of it idling for a bit. It idles and then dies... but this is just standard practice for using a standalone ECU for the first time. I'm getting the hang of the Adaptronic and I have a lot more to learn.

Love the sound of open headers >:-]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYMwn4lIEfs

Camera pointed at the laptop screen while my neighbors give you the play by play in the background. This was the first startup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmMAPOFNONs

Attachments

• icon_highfive.gif
    icon_highfive.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 1
Made up my exhaust yesterday so now I'll be able to tune my Adaptronic. No use messing around with it if you only have open headers. Luckly it wasn't raining too bad yesterday so I was able to get this done pretty quickly. Later on if I like how these work I'll run some muffler tube from the ends of these back to have them dump out in front of the rear tires.

1uz_exhaust_11.jpg

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of trouble shooting all day long and I was victorious in solving my problems. Here is a video I shot while working through a couple problems with the fuel pump signal. I hard wired the fuel pump while I was reading the computers fuel output signals. I got it working properly at 10pm tonight. This stuff ain't easy. I'm liking the Nascar sound! My neighbor txt messaged me when he heard it start up from the next house over. :D Ahhh sweet music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtFTWxuVim0

I had the pleasure of trouble shooting all day long and I was victorious in solving my problems. Here is a video I shot while working through a couple problems with the fuel pump signal. I hard wired the fuel pump while I was reading the computers fuel output signals. I got it working properly at 10pm tonight. This stuff ain't easy. I'm liking the Nascar sound! My neighbor txt messaged me when he heard it start up from the next house over. :D Ahhh sweet music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtFTWxuVim0

hey, iv been following your build and i must say im very impresed.... i was wondering why you didn't go with the factory ECU? also the job you did on the bell housing was very impressive...but im gonna have to go to the guys at Dellow auto for mine....i dont have access nor do i know how to take the measurements to get the spacing correct... is there a reason you didn't go with the R150F 5 speed? i hear its the strongest one for the 1UZFE swap into a 4x4. over all very nice job on your build...would love to see some videos of this thing soon!

Hey glad you appreciate my work. Well I've always been into electronics and I figured that I might as well go all the way and get a stand alone because I will supercharge or run a couple turbos someday. So spending the time to wire in a stock ECU is just a waste of time if I'm going to do the forced induction thing. Also it's very complicated to run the Adaptronic but by the time I have decided to go with a SC or whatever then I'll have already had some good experience tuning the Adaptronic. When I had the heads ported the guy who did it said he wouldn't do as much if I was using the stock ECU. Plus I can set a hard and soft rev limit with either ignition or fuel cut which will be really nice. I like holding the pedal down all the way when I have to so being able to have those options are really nice. I will be having a hard choice to make between suspension upgrades on my truck that I have planned or going forced induction. Now that I have all the room in the world under my hood, a computer to run the whole system it would be pretty easy! I have a couple people who have already offered to make custom headers for me or at least help me out when I want to make some. But I want to put a 9" rear end under it and a roll cage so I'll probably put the work into those next. I'll be having enough fun with the power my NA motor puts out. I just want to drive the thing at this point!

I did consider the R150F but I have friends at transmissions shops and the guys commented that the W59 will be fine. They just give the advice to fully depress the clutch and not to do anything stupid. Mine is a low mileage tranny I got recently and I can find W59's cheap anyhow so if it breaks I'll just go grab another one. Someones has to test out the W59 right? PLUS the W59s come with the much more desirable gear driven transfer case. So if you go R150F you'll be going backwards in that respect and you'll be going to Advanced Adapters to buy a plate to mount the better gear driven case. If I change to a different gear box it won't be Toyota that's for sure.

I'll definitely be putting up some sweet videos when this thing gets on the road. I want to get a camera to mount inside and everything. Make sure and subscribe to my Youtube channel to stay updated. :D http://www.youtube.com/user/casmitherz

I have a nice used 9" already but I also have the option of using this new 9" full floating axle housing and some insane Brembo race car brakes. Yeah they are bigtime overkill but if I'm going to spend a little money to upgrade I might as well get the best bang for my buck! I would just need to rebuild the calipers maybe and pray that the pads that go with these have some meat left on them because they are extremely expensive. But it would be much safer driving around offroad and I have plans to go to the desert this summer. =]

I'll have to take it easy on my wimpy Taco rear end until I can afford the axles and hardware to mount this up.
v8_tacoma_brakes_02.jpg

2pc aluminum fully vented - More 1UZ power means brakes require upgrading as well.
v8_tacoma_brakes_01.jpg

Might as well put them to good use right?
v8_tacoma_brakes_03.jpg

Hey glad you appreciate my work. Well I've always been into electronics and I figured that I might as well go all the way and get a stand alone because I will supercharge or run a couple turbos someday. So spending the time to wire in a stock ECU is just a waste of time if I'm going to do the forced induction thing. Also it's very complicated to run the Adaptronic but by the time I have decided to go with a SC or whatever then I'll have already had some good experience tuning the Adaptronic. When I had the heads ported the guy who did it said he wouldn't do as much if I was using the stock ECU. Plus I can set a hard and soft rev limit with either ignition or fuel cut which will be really nice. I like holding the pedal down all the way when I have to so being able to have those options are really nice. I will be having a hard choice to make between suspension upgrades on my truck that I have planned or going forced induction. Now that I have all the room in the world under my hood, a computer to run the whole system it would be pretty easy! I have a couple people who have already offered to make custom headers for me or at least help me out when I want to make some. But I want to put a 9" rear end under it and a roll cage so I'll probably put the work into those next. I'll be having enough fun with the power my NA motor puts out. I just want to drive the thing at this point!

I did consider the R150F but I have friends at transmissions shops and the guys commented that the W59 will be fine. They just give the advice to fully depress the clutch and not to do anything stupid. Mine is a low mileage tranny I got recently and I can find W59's cheap anyhow so if it breaks I'll just go grab another one. Someones has to test out the W59 right? PLUS the W59s come with the much more desirable gear driven transfer case. So if you go R150F you'll be going backwards in that respect and you'll be going to Advanced Adapters to buy a plate to mount the better gear driven case. If I change to a different gear box it won't be Toyota that's for sure.

I'll definitely be putting up some sweet videos when this thing gets on the road. I want to get a camera to mount inside and everything. Make sure and subscribe to my Youtube channel to stay updated. :D http://www.youtube.com/user/casmitherz

that all sounds really good. how much power did you get it up to now....i know stock its about 250. im pretty sure marlin crawler has an adapter to mate the R150F to the 4cyl gear cases. or ill just get the R151F if i can find a good one cheap. i think thats the Turbo 5 spd... im on the east coast of Canada, just over NY and VT so its pretty muddy and rocky here. right now im doing an SAS swap, no high speed stuff but the power will be nice once in the mud...

so far i got the engine and headers plus a bunch of parts but im gonna look into that ecu your using cus its pretty easy to bolt any kind of blower on this engine. and im probably gonna do the same in time. i saw a couple pics of home made attempts (all ppl from Austrailia) wich came out pretty good, ex, i saw one with a gm 3.8 SC, one with a ford racing 4.6 SC and so on. basicly any roots type SC that came on a relitivly same sized engine will work, although i did see one guy use the GM ecotech SC that came in the cobalt SS... thay just take the stock intake and mill it down as flat as thay can with out damaging the runners and weld an aluminum plate for the SC.

Last edited: