1UZ into MK1 Ford Capri

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

BlownV8

Well, my camera has finally returned home, and i have some pics for those intereted.

Car is a 1970 MK 1 capri. Engine appears to be a 141 crown, or maybe a LS400, not sure yet, still following 1uz thead to find out. Any ways, heres a pic of the eninge in the car.

To all those that said it wouldn'd fit, MUH to you.

Here it is.

Looks pretty much like my garage....lol

it%20fits.jpg

Elliot

chrisman said:
looks great, theres plenty of room.. maybe enough for a couple of turbos?..keep us posted eliot..
Thats the exact same thought i had as soon as i rolled the engine crane away. From my measurements i think i can fit a pair of T3's from rb25. Just have to find a way to fit water - air cooler somewhere.

Apart from the fabrication of a new pipework to fit a pair of turbos, computer mods, cooling, injectors etc etc, how much work needs to be done to one of these engines to run turbos? Do the engines have to be fully rebuilt or can you just do work on the heads and get away with minimal boost pressures?

Elliot

hi eliot, im sure youl get a bunch of different opinions on this, but heres mine.. the engine itself will be fine as is.. you can leave it alone and prob get away with 6-7 psi.. you will see a huge jump in HP and torque..i even think you can run toyota ecu with low boost- as long as you get more fuel thru the engine.. in a light car like the capri, you will end up with a reliable fun car..

are capris breeding ?
i also have one currently fitting a 1 UZFE ,5 puck clutch w58 box , fully set up for circut racing , autronic computer pumped guards big wheels and tyres huge brakes
theres nothing wrong with the old 1600's

(if they were cosworths )

qca said:
are capris breeding ?
They must be I've got 2 1UZ powered Capris. I ones going to be supercharged using a jag supercharger. The other is twin turboed and running a powerglide.

There does seem to be a bit of a revival going on with the Capri at the moment. I think the styling of the car is ageless, and that huge engine bay was always asking for something bigger than Ford ever supplied it with apart from the Peranha of course.

I was originally hoping to get my hands on a W58 box and convert the original auto to manual, but having sat on the phone for god knows how many hours discovered that they are not exactly cheap or easy to come by (unless I'm making the wrong phone calls??). On top of that, theres the clutch conversion kit, bellhousing etc etc. I decided that my money might be better invested in a new torque convertor and the tiptronic controller and keeping the original auto. The box is still attached to the engine in that pic. I was surprised how small and compact the auto is and how much room there is around the transmission tunnel.......

P.S. How do you size which turbos would suit a 1UZ ?
Elliot

i ended up using 2 toyota ct26 torbos from mr2s.. there easy to get and cheap here in the states..-but im sure there are many medium sized turbos that will work well..

I,ve got w55 and want another 1uz motor to transfer into mk 2 capri I,ve got. What do you suggest for a sump? I guess front and will the bigger ls400 headers fit or should I use crown? We race the capri now (just clubsport level) but want more reliablity

elliotaw said:
I was originally hoping to get my hands on a W58 box and convert the original auto to manual, but having sat on the phone for god knows how many hours discovered that they are not exactly cheap or easy to come by (unless I'm making the wrong phone calls??).
They should be fairly easy to find in Aus, but you are correct, they are fairly expensive.
Average price seems to be $400 to $600.
They are a little more expenive than other gearboxes because they are wanted for sooo many conversions.

You may want to give CRS a call, they sell recoed W58's with larger input shaft bearings.
You could also then buy the conversion kit from them as well (this is what i plan to do).

If you dont want to pay that much, keep an eye on the Toymods forums, there is one for sale on there at the moment.

http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/