1uz in a 2001 BMW 540i

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Boostage

Just want to hear your Opinions but I can get a 2001 540i for a good price. it comes with a 4.4L v8 the M62B44 282hp 310tq and a 6 speed. these are ok motors. aftermarket support is not as good as the 1uz. Do you think it would be a good Idea to put in the smaller 1uz-fe and a supercharger? Im sure a lot of BMW fans wouldnt like it. but my reasoning is:

(1)The 1uz can be found for $500 or less all day everyday in the US so breaking the motor wouldnt even be a concern.

(2)because of the support, I should be able to make more power than the stock M62B44

(3)IF I wanted to go all out one day I could at least find Cams,rods and pistons for a 1uz and Twin Turbo it and for sure it would be far more powerful than any BMW Motor. all while being cheaper.

If I do this I would be making a Bell adaptor to mate the stock 6 speed onto the 1uz.I have never sen this swap before, I dont know if it would be possible to retain all the creature comforts such as heater, cruise control etc.

Right now its just a thought. I would like to hear your opinions before I even think of moving forward with this.

Jesus man, do no swap that BMW motor out for the 1UZ, both are awesome motors but you already have an awesome 4.4lt BMW v8 and a 6speed box, most guys here in NZ would kill for that setup. Dont give up on the BMW motor, allot of guys supercharge them with huge results, search on youtube

You can buy complete supercharged setups for that 540i, good luck with that on an older lexus. Go to Dinan's and look at the options, there are more bmw tuners than lexus. And adapting a 1uz to the bmw tranny, talk about cost, you could have forced induction with that money.

The bmw motor was copied from the lexus one anyway, no real point in doing the swap. There are several german tuners who modify this engine and there really is far more available for this than the 1uzfe. Also it has freer flowing heads due to a wider valve angle (Amongst over things) if you had a dirt cheap e36 3 series then i would look at a transplant.

The bmw motor was copied from the lexus one anyway, no real point in doing the swap. There are several german tuners who modify this engine and there really is far more available for this than the 1uzfe. Also it has freer flowing heads due to a wider valve angle (Amongst over things) so it will always make more power with the same mods. The lack of low down torque of the 1uzfe wont help the heavy 5 series get moving either. If you want a german car that is cheaper to repair look at doing this swap with the e36 3 series. Castlemaine rod shop here in aus were working on a kit for it. Just bear in mind that german engineers and their japanese counterparts think quite differently when it comes to cooling systems and wiring you do need to have either alot of ability or alot of money to work on them, preferably both.

http://www.rodshop.com.au/bmw/bmw_3.htm

They havent listed it as yet, so you will have to email or ring them about it, but they do have the kit to fit a buick v6 (used in our commodore)

No idea as to what happened with the double post.

Last edited:
How do u claim that bmw's v8 is just ok ?? i know 1uz is superior but bmw v8 is no less than an engineer's wet dream also. Not to mention that the cost of swap and parts is no where less than 5g's, don't forget 1uz makes less HP/TQ as compare to 4.4l bmw. Try to invest wisely on that 4.4L, trust me it can make u happy. Not a bad thought though, you got me thinking about a 3 series coupe with 1uz swap..hehehe...:D........Bimers are beautiful i got a 528i, god i luv the way it handle around the corners.

Have you thought of buying another BMW 4.4 and fitting forced induction with low mileage engine ??

IMO tweak the one you have.. Aha not bad for a Lexus forum ha ??
We are not totally one eyed !!!!

The current BMW motor sucks. I maintain that the ideal swap for any given BMW is a 2JZ-GTE with a big single :D
edit: The ideal swap for any given vehicle too, including a Freightliner should always be the 2JZ-GTE :p