1UZ head work

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Has anyone ever successfully put titanium valves, Ti retainers and double valve springs into 1UZ heads? And what is the biggest WHP number anyone has made from a N/A 1UZ-FE? I am trying to get a feel for the potential of 1UZ head modifications. Thanks!

MP

Probably the highest output NA build that has run reliably is the full race engine that Erol Richardson of RMS Motorsport built. Here's a spec sheet on it:

http://www.race-cars.com/engsales/other/1200038700/1200038700ss.htm

Erol has retired from engine building but is still a member/moderator here and posts from time to time.
It is interesting to see that he used stock 1UZ rods -showing that they are capable of at least 500hp. I will have to contact Erol. Thanks! This is the kind of stuff that is right up my alley!

Michael, I think Erol actually put Saenz rods in that engine. I don't believe the standard powder forged Toyota rods would stay together much past 8K.

Michael, I think Erol actually put Saenz rods in that engine. I don't believe the standard powder forged Toyota rods would stay together much past 8K.
I just assumed he used the stock ones because the specs said Toyota 1UZ rods. But -I do have some early chevy small journal H-beams for my build anyway. I thought the stock rods looked like cast from first observations and so I though 500 hp seemed a long shot for them. So they are powder forged? hmmm...I will have to do some reading up on that process.

So now -I just have to decide based on pros & cons whether to open the rods up to 1UZ ID and use limited selection 1UZ bearings and shave the heads/block to make up the .04x difference in rod length or to leave the big end of the SBC rods stock, have a nearly un-limited selection of SBC rod bearings, have the crank re-worked to early SBC rod journal specs and have it stroked an extra .08x in the process to make up the .04x difference in rod length.

Has anyone ever made the choice between these two options before?

Thanks!
MP

Last edited: