1UZ FE into Jaguar series 2 .. Help !

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jim G

Hi, I am a newbie on this forum, first post !

I have just bought a 1977 jaguar Coupe ( same as series 2 but two door) with no engine or gearbox , and I have a 1996 Lexus LS400 complete car which has failed its MOT test, so I was hoping to do an engine and trans swop into the Jag ,could anyone here tell me any mechanical problems that I may encounter, it seems that at the very least I may need a different sump (the rear sumps are very rare here in the Uk I fear) or is there anyone on here who has done this swop already ? I am an electronics / electrical engineer so hopefully will be Ok on that side of things,

So an XJC? I love these things and will own one one day for sure....probably a Coyote or LSx for mine as the little 4 litre doesn't quite have the torque for such a heavy car....not if you want it running 12s anyway ;)

You'll find this forum pretty responsive. Treat it right and it will pay back in kind :)

Welcome Jim, and I'd second Justen's comments. Beautiful cars and what a great platform for a swap.

We do love our 1UZ's here, but the majority of swap threads also include some sort of forced induction as well, unless the engine is going into a smaller, lighter car than the 400 series Lexus it came out of.

No doubt a stock 1UZ and tranny would get your coupe moving along at a "stately" pace, but you might find yourself wanting a bit more than that.

If it'll take the 4.2 6 pot or the 5.3 V12 you may find the sump will clear the subframe anyway as there is a fair old distance between the subframe and the bulkhead. Any chance of some pics?

Dan

1UZ FE into jaguar XJC ( XJ6 coupe)

Photos of car as purchased, just also bought a jaguar series 3 MOT failure for the trim etc,

Measured up the engine bay, and I have 25 inches between the crossmember and the bonnet, the V8 engine appears to be about 29 inches ! including sump, so I am looking for a rear sump if anyone has one for sale or swop.
Or does anyone have a 1uz on the floor, who could measure the distance from the bottom of the front sump to the top of the air plenum ( by the lexus badge)

Regarding the engine not having enough torque, the Lexus LS400 weighs 1705 KG and the Jag XJC weighs ( with cast iron engine ) 1689 KGs so I would hope the performance would be about the same, or even better due to the lighter engine, I know you guys think the LS400 is pretty slow, but in a 1977 JAG that will be fast enough for me .... for a while anyway.

I am not sure of he final drive ratio of the Lexus though, the Jag is either 3.3 or 3.06 not sure till I get under there!

Attachments

• coupe 002.jpg
    coupe 002.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 25
  • xj6 coupe rebuild 001.jpg
    xj6 coupe rebuild 001.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Aug 2013 661.jpg
    Aug 2013 661.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 23
Good luck with the conversion.

I am currently nearing the end of converting my 67 Mercedes SL, not the biggest of engine bays, but managed to get it in with the standard sump. Did have to convert it to rack and pinion as it was to tight to keep the steering box.

Look forward to seeing more pictures as it progresses.

I isn't just the weight of the package you need to look at, as you also need to consider where and how much torque each engine produced.

Not sure if your XJC was a 6 or 12 but I would think both would produce their torque much lower in the rev range and more of it so they would move off the line better but the UZ would be better up top and also be more fuel efficient.

Personally if I had an XJC I'd try and keep it pretty stock as they are the most valuable of the XJ series and their value lies in remaining stock.

XJc transplant keeping it stock

I think you are right about keeping the car stock and it being worth more, but I recently realised that all the cars I have built in the past have been for someone else, in that I have always thought about 'what about when I sell it' This one I am building for me ! So I agree with JustenGT8 when he says 'Build what you want and enjoy it' also now thinking of a later jaguar engine, maybe an AJ6 from a XJ40 and manual gearbox, much easier transplant as I have been quoted £295 for a rear sump ( the guy must be dreaming , or is this what they are worth) I can buy a manual later jag complete mot failure car for not much more ....hmmmm

Hi Jim,

Did you go through with the fitment of the Lexus motor into the Jag?

If you did, i'm needing a little advice on how to connect up the rev counter & speedo from the motor/gearbox to the Jag's cluster.

Alan