1UR Engine

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Instead of having main caps and an oil pan, the entire bottom half of the block is another piece. The new Honda K-series engines are this way as well, and it's a very strong design. Kind of like a main girdle on crack.

Nope, it's not a bedded crankshaft arrangement; it's the usual underslung crank setup. I'm looking at a tech drawing of it now, and it's showing the 6 bolt main caps setup like the 1UZ.

I worked with industrial engines having bedded cranks 20 years ago. Very solid way to support a long inline six or eight cylinder crankshaft.

Instead of having main caps and an oil pan, the entire bottom half of the block is another piece. The new Honda K-series engines are this way as well, and it's a very strong design. Kind of like a main girdle on crack.

The UR still uses seperate main caps,it just wasn't shown in the first illustration of this thread.

actually the 1UR uses D4-s which is Direct Injection Superior, not only is it direct injection but it also has port injection and will use whichever it decides is optimum for the situation! I am a Lexus Tech so i am free to answer questions!

I like every stat on this engine but the 511lbs. Where it is, it would be behind the 2gr-fse, then 2gr-fe in terms of peak power production VS weight. If they could drop 30lbs off the engine, it'd be the best engine in Toyota history (that I can cite) by that measurement.

I wish I woulda seen this thread awhile back.

The entire v8's look like they too the newer GR v6 block designs & scaled them up. They are open decks (HORRIBLE), but have factory forged rods, factory standard oil piston squireters on all models. etc.
That means for any good high-po rebuild, you're going to resort to what the Honda boys have to do. Block posted, or protector plates machined & installed.

The cam drive itself shouldn't cause any more noise. The engines are int because of the rockers adding lift. And lastly theeeeey're probably going to be noisy when cold. Every v6 FSE (Direct injection + rocker arm valvetrain) has been noisy until they warm.

We've yet to determine what causes this. (Because the owners just like to bitch like babies instead of taking a stethescope, or a camera & recording it so we'd know the cause.) Yeah. It's a sore spot with me. I have to listen to that all day LoL!

ya, that 511 lbs is killer. the BMW V12(supposedly) is lighter than that, and even the IRON block SBC is lighter.

3.5L 2gr-fse v6 (direct injection)

2grfse-1.jpg
2grfse-2.jpg

I'll get the exploded diagram & update.

But seriously, it's funny. How some of the 1uz-fe technology wound up in the v6's. Now it looks like the v8's are using the v6 tech. LoL! AFAI care we all benifit so. More power to us all! (Too bad with increasing weight the power doesn't scale. If ti di it'd make 408bhp!)

yeah thats why lexus went to almost complete GR series engines with the exception of the 1GR in the trucks, theres the 3.5L - 2gr, the 3.0L - 3GR, and the 2.5L 4GR, now the 1UR is the EXACT same as the GR series except they added more cylinders so they had to start a new series, but the blocks are almost identical!

makes it easy to design and costs less money than designing a totally different block. and besides, if the GR works well, there is no reason to design a new block that has the chance of not working as well.

Attachments

• GT40 011.jpg
    GT40 011.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 9
  • 80499-rflex.jpg
    80499-rflex.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 80500-qwerty-014.jpg
    80500-qwerty-014.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 12
ya, that 511 lbs is killer. the BMW V12(supposedly) is lighter than that, and even the IRON block SBC is lighter.

4 cam motors are naturaly more weight in the worst possible spot (top). This is how the Z06 has such a good curb weight (I want to say about 3150). Look at the older LT5 DOHC alum motor in the ZR-1. I've never seen an exact figure, but I've seen quotes of aprox 750lbs for the motor alone.

Its the price we pay to have the cams on top of the motor where they belong, instead of down in the the block. Although the LSx motors are a marvel for being push rod, there will be a time when you see the gm V8 with cams on top. They do this already in the northstar. Its a shame the North star is not used in very many peformance apps. its a great motor.

500+ lbs for only 400 odd HP? and besides, its easy to make aluminum lighter and stronger by alloying it with Beryllium(think F1 engines) and zinc. the now-illegal F1 V10s weighed less than 95kg, which is the minimum weight limit for the new V8s. and i do know that F1 engines arent made for street driving, but the blocks are still strong enough to take it, its just a matter of friction damage. and besides, they dont get a new block everytime they need to rebuild an F1 engine, they use the old one.

the only reason i can think of that Lexus uses such a heavy block is that no one would really pay for all the material that Lexus would need to make the block lighter.

I don't see these engine being heavy at all. The specs say with all fluids in the engine and I'm guessing with all ancillaries attached(alternator, A/C etc etc) as well. The SBC is normally rated dry with nothing attached, not even a starter motor or intake. And it's still much heavier.
My 1UZ without the ancillaries attached came in at 180kgs or so from memory and I'll bet the 1UR is maybe 20 kilos heavier at best.
When you have a 1UZ and SBC sitting side by side in bare form, you'll know real weight differnce is huge. The SBC feels like you're moving a tank around. Must be 50+ kilos more in reality.

500+ lbs for only 400 odd HP? and besides, its easy to make aluminum lighter and stronger by alloying it with Beryllium(think F1 engines) and zinc. the now-illegal F1 V10s weighed less than 95kg, which is the minimum weight limit for the new V8s. and i do know that F1 engines arent made for street driving, but the blocks are still strong enough to take it, its just a matter of friction damage. and besides, they dont get a new block everytime they need to rebuild an F1 engine, they use the old one.

the only reason i can think of that Lexus uses such a heavy block is that no one would really pay for all the material that Lexus would need to make the block lighter.

The current F1 V8s must do 2 race meetings without rebuild (approx 500/550 klm), the complete engine is then junked including the block.
Before the 2 race rule the engines were rebuilt after every meeting and the only parts used again were the block and head castings,every thing else was new, after the next race the complete engine was junked.

It is not easy making Aluminium/Beryllium alloys, it is astronomicaly expensive and has been banned in F1 because of the extreme health risks in machining.

no, they can use no more than 5% beryllium in the engine alloys. they still use it. i think it would be cheaper and simpler to use a 7000 series aluminum alloy though. safer and stronger, steel-like strengths, without the poisonous qualities.

What about the magnesium/aluminum combination that BMW uses on production cars? Also, in F1, those cranks are as light as they can possibly make them, so they can last just as long as they need. I would bet a big difference in weight between a factory engine and F1 engine is in the crankshaft.