1990 ls400 transmission downshifts out of overfrive when brake is pressed

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Kendog383

what would cause this problem it dont matter if i have it on normal or power it just comes out of overdrive and into 3rd when i press brake pedel....any ideas?

regarding your downshift problem

I had the EXACT same problem with my 92 LS400. After a while the old parts just "go" and it is the smallest, most unbelievable causes for the problems. My brother is a master tech for the Audi S groups and he has a partner that owns 4 Ls400's. The problem that caused mine to do the exact same thing was located in my trunk. What the #$%^ you ask? For some reason, when the wiring harness that is located on the trunk hinge gets old, the harness wires under the black strip that runs along that hinge brake. I just re-soldered mine and the problem was gone. The problem hasn't come back ever since. I hope that helps!

the temp outside has a effect on this problem

when it's warm the transmission works fine...when it's colder then 65 outside then the transmission acts up like clockwork what do u think?

to your temp question...

To be honest, that didn't occur to me. Mine was just the faulty wiring under the trunk lid. If it gets too deep, I usually just take mine to a Lexus dealer and take it up the @#$. But when it's all said and done, they give you a loaner car and you get your car back with worry free miles ahead. I also understand that not everyone can afford to do that. But that's just me. Keep asking on this forum. I just recently started posting here even though I have been a member for over a year. It seems as if every member knows quite a bit. Just hang in there. These guys are really cool. They'll help you out. Especially Jibby, Lex, and all the "others".

overdrive when brake is pressed, 92 LS400

I have the exact same problem. Was it coming from faulty wiring in the trunk hinge? Appreciate any possible help. Bob

1992 LS400, drops into overdrive when brake depressed

Every thing was running perfect on mine but I had some gasket leaks so changed gaskets and filters plus put new oil & filters in the engine & transmission. All OK that night but next day I notice every time I touch the brake, the engine comes out of overdrive and the light comes on indicating reverse. And if going 45 or 50 the thing goes back into overdrive while coasting from the 1st braking. Then further braking will drop it back out of OD. When braking at slower speeds this dropping out of OD is no big thing but around 60 or 70 it will tear something up after a few times. When the brake peddle is touched, it is same as pressing the button to turn OD off plus of course the orange reverse indicator light comes on. The light for drive stays on but reverse comes on with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again, Bob

1992 LS, turns O/D off when brake depressed

bryanallen1, your brother is a smart man and I appreciate your post from Jan. 16,09. I didn't get any other feedback & had my doubts about your solution but I pulled the wires from the hinge and another plastic piece which held same wires bundled into a "U" and clipped up & between the 2 plates the hinge was mounted to. One white wire was broke & seperated. It must have broke cause seperated & in protected area. I connected the two, went for test drive & everything worked perfect. I had said the car jumped out of O/D when the brake depressed. A better description would have been "the O/D is switched off when the brake is touched the same way a cruise control is turned off when brake is touched. The scary part is this is instant while your foot is still on the brake and the lower gear doesn't coast like the O/D does.
The plastic piece which fits up behind the hinge has all these wires in a bind & after 17 years, I can understand it breaking. Take your car out and run slow in O/D then press button for O/D off. Then go a little faster & try again. Then picture your wife or girlfriend cruising along at 70 or 75 in traffic and talking to her friends & touches the brake to slow a little & it slams back in 3rd cause that wire broke at the last bump. There are a lot of times this could get someone in a lot of trouble, enough times that anyone should check that few inches of wire when possible. Another indicator on mine was when you apply brakes the orange reverse indicator light comes on while the drive light is on. Not full light, just half light. Thanks again