06 4runner custom Headers?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

brighton

Hi guys,
I own a 06 4R V8 with 104k on her. My truck has the infamous 4.7 V8 exhaust manifold crack/leak. It started on my right/pass side and I'm pretty sure my driver's side is now cracked as well.
My question is: I don't really want to replace it with the same part the fails. And I was also under the impression that we do not have any other options, other then OEM. So tough luck for me. (I've read this many times.) The reasoning is that the frame rail is l literally right next to the manifold and there is no room to put on a "shorty header". And no other company is going to take the time and effort in making one.
Does anybody have any idea where I can find them? It's seems I'm searching for the end of a rainbow here.

Thanks!

I reason why I'm asking this is, on the 120series.com forum there is a guy that has a GX470 and claims he has aftermarket headers installed, but I can verify that.

I'm in the same boat...Boston area. 2003 4runner.
I get the sulfur smell under acceleration, and sometimes exhaust smell.

Looking for manufacturer/custom exhaust shop that can make a block-hugging exhaust header, almost like the stock piece...no "real" primaries or collector.

Perhaps a bit "straighter" and larger pipes.

I've been under the car taking measurements, and there is very little wiggle room to put in any kind of primaries...it almost has to be a single piece; perhaps a larger pipe...

My thought is to have a universal header for any of the 4th gen 4runners because all of them are slightly different...flange angle, pipe length, cat position...
instead of a 3 bolt cat-flange, make it a flared pipe end so a exhaust pipe clamp can be used with any 2.25" pipe (bent) as an adapter; possible even a flexi-exhaust pipe.

anyways, wondering if anyone here had any thoughts or experience with modding any existing headers or making their own for a gen4 4runner.

the tundra headers (JBA) will not fit. I called JBA. The diameter of the primaries would require A LOT of engine compartment rearranging and would hit the body and frame.

something like this

OE style header/exhaust manifold but with better materials and welds.
using Lextreme's exhaust flange

larger diameter pipe - 2.25" or 2.5" OD

straight back to flare
this seems to be the only similarity of the OE exhaust manifolds before some angled bend and/or cat flange or straight into the CAT; this way the user can buy any pipe, have it bent, cut old pipe, pipe clamp, etc. with minimal fitment issues. This makes it more universal for 4runners/tundras/sequoias because of all the minor differences and body/frame/wiring.

By having the flare, the user can pretty much customize the exhaust downstream all the way to the muffler tip.

Anyways, thoughts? I just put this together real quick and dirty with images from this site and ebay pics. Anyone have old 4runner manifolds laying around? Been looking online, but no dice. I'd be glad to find a local shop here, but not gonna drop $600/side for dealership stock manifolds to design and test.

Cheers

shuman

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 10