V8 Conversion on 1989 FJ62

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cavecreekcruiser

I'm looking to convert my 3FE w/auto 4speed A440F to a V8 still undecided on transmission.

I also own a 2000 Tundra 4x4 and was reading about putting the 2UZFE 4.7L in the FJ62. Of course there were issues beteen the A340 transmission and the transfercase. At the end of the string I read, they were talking about a custom adapter to connect the A340 auto trans to the transfercase, but the string never finished the conversation.

From best I can tell, my FJ62 has a HF2A transfercase.

So, any experience or input on the subject?

Why a 1UZ?

I've been derailed for a while due to cash flow (buying second home). I'll be doing more around 2Q 2006.

Let me know how the cluch install goes.

What year 1UZ do you have? Is it fuel injected? Do you know what it came out of?

Most of what I've read about the 1UZ Versus the 2UZ, show the 1UZ being more for Lexus cars, (98 - 2000 vvti 1UZFE, rated 300hp in GS400) ('95-'97 1UZFE, rated 260hp, LS400, 96-S400, etc..).

I did read that the 2UZ w/standard trans will fit into the FJ60 series LC.

In reading I found that the 1UZFE has an 3968cc aluminum block, a shorter stroke on the crank, and has aluminium heads, all giving the motor a faster rev for the sports car versus the low end torque needed by a large Off-road vehicle.

Just wondering what you've read that made you decide to go with the 1UZ?

I priced the 2UZ and had to look hard at the Chevy 350 again, but I still have not decided. I'll make the final decision when I have cash in hand.

The problem with the UZ engines is the bell housing is kind of small. I think the largest clutch that the aftermarket is supporting is a 10 inch clutch. This, in my mind is too small to launch a 4500 lbs vehicle, with any reliability. You are correct that the 2UZ did have a manual transmission in the 100 series cruisers, and the clutch is almost 12” in diameter. Toyota does it by having a two piece bell housing that will allow this to happen. The problem is it would have to be ordered from a county that had it imported (i.e. Australia) and the H55f would not bolt to it. The pattern is more along the line of US imported trucks or 4Rrunner. Ordering it through Toyota here in the states could be done, but it would be a very long drawn out ordeal. You would have to find a dealer what would work with you and use the Toyota EPC parts system. This would allow them to look at "Worldwide" vehicles. (Vehicles not imported into the US)

I picked my 1UZ out of a pick your part for a dirt cheap price. It originally came out of a 92 SC 400. Thought it would be nice to have a Toyota engine in the Cruiser. But after allot of thinking, I’ll probably go with a Vortec V8 with a NV 4500 behind it. Parts are easier to get a hold of, clutch is 12 inches and if you get a LQ9 6 liter, it puts out 345 hp with 385 lbs/ft torque. An advanced adapter has the NV4500-->split case cruiser t/c for around $650.

Let me know which way you decide to go.

Dave

We've taken a similar journey!

Looks like you've done a lot of the same decision making as I did. I really wanted to stick to a toyota motor and Trans as well. I really like the V8 in my Tundra (2UZFE), so I thought I would look into that for the FJ62. The cost and availability is a definate issue. That's why I went back to the 350.

I still want the H55F standard trans and that should not be a problem. I thought I found a adapter to bolt the housing to the 350, and have notes from another guy on his clutch install. My old PC crashed, so I have to do some data recovery off email before I can get my hands on that.

Send me a note at [email protected] and I'll send you what I have.

Thanks for hooking up!! This is not a simple task and every mistake costs $$!

Mark