Newer Hiace V8 Conversions

JZH

Fair enough, Kelvin! It's good to be busy doing what you love. If I need to get moving on this before you've had a chance to make up a proper kit, I'll just PM you about the parts I want to purchase from you.

Do you have any thoughts about using UR engines? I see that George_R can also de-immobilise them. It's unlikely, but there is a scenario in which I might end up with a donor Tundra 5.7 (the whole vehicle).

Ciao,

JZH

JZH

Time flies! ;)

Speaking of donors, here in the UK I think I can get a complete, running 2004-06 LS430 (6-speed verison) for under £3,000. Like this (mis-identified) 156k-mile 2004 model: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906239313697?postcode=se108ug&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&radius=1500&model=LS 430&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=500&make=LEXUS&page=1

Engine, trans, ECU, wiring harness, shifter, ECT switch, maybe the instrument panel, complete headlights/washers (to cannibalise for retrofitting to the Hiace), and I could still sell the rest of the body/chassis to someone for parts. It is an attractive proposition because I'd know everything at least worked before I started! It also makes proving the origin of the engine to the DVLA easier, because I'd have the registration document (V5C).

The alternative would be to buy the components separately--and I wouldn't have to deal with pulling the parts or disposing of the car later.

Hmmm...

Ciao,

JZH

gloverman

I have no issue paying a little more in the beginning for the right stuff all matching from one donor. My suppliers know if they send me crap I'll send it back and having good stuff generally saves time in long run.

JZH

Sounds like a plan! I've just checked with my local council, and even if I can't get anyone to pay me for the shell, they will take it away for free. I was afraid I'd be stuck with paying loads to recycle hazardous materials, etc., but it appears that my taxes are already paying for it...

Electrics question: Assuming I could physically fit the panel into the Hiace dashboard (somehow--I'm not above a little hacking), could I use the LS430 instruments instead of the Hiace ones? And could I possibly be so lucky that a Lexus multifunction steering wheel would fit onto the Hiace steering column? That would be awesome!

It's not clear to me what can/must be controlled by the Hiace's ECU, and what can/must be controlled by the Lexus's ECU. The engine and trans obviously need to run off the Lexus ECU, and I believe George_R had mentioned that the A/C idle up/mag. clutch request signal and (Hiace) instrument panel could be adapted to run off the Lexus ECU. I presume the cruise control would hook up directly to the Lexus ECU (as there was none on the Hiace).

I don't want to re-wire the entire vehicle, though, so if I have to run two ECUs anyway, maybe it's best to just keep things separate.

Cheers,

JZH

smallfry

You may well find that DVLA/DVSA will rain on your parade when you swap an engine nowadays. If you swap like for like and just want an engine number change, you may just get away with no interference, BUT, if you want to change the capacity, AND, God forbid change fuel type also, you might have to jump through hoops.

Provenance for the engine, official receipts, independent engineer report, to name a few. Be warned, If they want to inspect it themselves, and they find you have chopped the monocoque or the front crossmember in any way, you may end up having to have an SVA test and re register it, with all the fees ……….. its all about the money after all.