N/A Recomendations

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Cobra

Guys

The 1UZ in my Cobra is on its last legs. I plan to build up a new motor but I want to leave it Naturally Aspirated.
Can anybody advise me on what I need to include in the motor to make it a balls and all motor without forced induction?

Last edited by a moderator:
How much fast do you want to spend?

I would build it pretty much as if you were going to go FI but go around 10.5 or even 11:1 CR.

Pistons
rods
head porting
larger head studs
cams
itb's

Add it up first, you can buy a coyote 5.0 now for $6,500 + $1,500 for ecu and pedal harness etc.

I'd change the rods to some nice, lightweight forgies. Maybe consider titanium if you want to run seriously high RPM.

New bearings all around, and have them coated. Ditto with pistons.

Piston sprayers would be an option, but probably not necessary if you're staying NA. Still, it's not that hard or expensive to do once you're already inside the short block.

Have the crank polished, and possibly knife edged? Or consider going dry sump.

Serious head work, or get a set of Paul's CNC heads with oversize valves

A good set of Kelford cams and shim under bucket conversion.

This is going to be VERY expensive horsepower.......

If you can stand the weight increase, go with the 2UZ iron block & crank, plus bore it out as much as you dare. Cubes are always cheaper HP than anything else except maybe nitrous.

Are you going for ITB's or ???

Stage II regrinds can be done w/o the shim conversion, but you NEED the oversize valves for their longer stems. It negates the need for taller shims. Since your aiming for high hp, the larger valves will just compliment everything else.

How much fast do you want to spend?

I would build it pretty much as if you were going to go FI but go around 10.5 or even 11:1 CR.

Pistons
rods
head porting
larger head studs
cams
itb's

Add it up first, you can buy a coyote 5.0 now for $6,500 + $1,500 for ecu and pedal harness etc.

++++2

A bone stock early 1uz with a turbo or supercharger, OR, a later 4.3 3uz VVTi are the only decent options from a cost perspective. By the time you build a high power high RPM 1uz you will be WISHING you bought that new Ford 5.0 Coyote. Power block just dyno'd a crate motor rated 412hp and with headers pulled 465hp. This with a torque curve that the 1uz will NEVER match regardless of peak power. Ford Cobra Ford Coyote, sweet.

m5lp_1003_02_o+50_coyote_engine+coyote.jpg

m5lp_1003_74_o+50_coyote_engine+coyote.jpg

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...1_ford_mustang_gt_50_coyote_engine/index.html

How big is your wallet. You have lots of options really.

Is the power you have now ok? how much more do you need?

My thoughts
#1 Good bottom end refresh with rings and bearings. check oil pump. Basic port job on heads with sweet cams. Back into the hole , not huge gains but a nice street motor for a good price

#2 as with #1 but up the porting , bigger cams and ITBs. Still well priced and will sound awesome. I have photos of a 1uz ITB cobra motor somewhere that we did.

# 3 All in with light piston and rods , heads , cams etc etc etc and lots of $ $ $.

#4 VVti 1uz. Simple , light and pretty cheap. good power gains over early 1uz

#5 3uz VVti. Well priced with good power and pretty easy.

My thoughts anyway. We have 1uz VVti motors over here now going for 2k so they are well priced.

Cheers

Since you want n/a and some suggest the new Coyote engine, I figured in addition I'd mention the old (01'ish era, S62) M5 5.0 v-8 with double VANOS, itb's, etc. 400hp 369ft/lbs stock. They and are on ebay time to time with ecu/harness (sometimes with 6 speed) for a reasonable cost or car-part.com

Re-build with rods, pistons plus port the heads, some nice cams and ITB on a custom lower.

This should give you nice package with decent power and a nice top end for when you want it to sing.

You allready have nice headers so that's one thing off the list.

I would figure that would run $12-15,000.

You could sell off the supercharger gear for a few thousand.

OR a crate motor from Ford or Chev.

The Coyote is looking more and more attractive all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you compare the IS-F 5.0 versus the coyote 5.0, they have almost identical specs and identical outputs. 440hp, 380tq for the Coyote and the IS-F at 416hp, 370tq. Im guessing that Lexus has left a few ponies on the table thru the usual sound reductions but who knows.

If I could pick a monster N/A build I would scrap my 1uz and start with a 5.7L tundra 3UR. Its bigger physically than 1uz but 385hp and 410tq isnt anything to scoff at. Stroke that to 6.0L, standalone and a set of cams/headers could net 450-500BHP if tuned aggressively.

Judging from Cobber's avatar pic of the cobra engine bay, I think a 3ur could fit. The 5.7 has been out long enough so it can be expected to see them in junkyards for sale.

Oh, didnt think about capacity limits. Im a toyota die hard, so if it was my dilemma I would pick the ISF 5.0, hands down. If spending 6k on a crate motor is within the price range, im sure the lexus motor can be had for a similar price. I have ""heard"" claims about this motor responding very well to mods just like the coyote.