MAJOR Suspension Help!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

trini14

Guys I'm Back. I need some insight. I will outlay the symptoms below.

FYI - 1999 GS400 (Silver Black Interior)
183,000k Running Purty:)
No Modifications

1. Extremely Severe tire wear. On the Inside.I went through A "new" set of front tires in less than two and a half weeks. With Normal driving.....

2. When I am driving the car has major trouble staying straight, in the sense that the steering wheel keeps moving in my hand when I go over anything other than smooth and perfect tarmac, manhole covers (the worst) reflector, even going across the white paint ((above say 40mph)that divides lanes cause the car to feels unstable. It is the same on the rear, except on the rear, I have great alignment, tires wearing normally. The rear end feels like it floats from side to side when it goes over anything other than smooth tarmac

3. I hear clunks as I go over something deep like a small hole, bump or lock the wheel and turn at low speed(below 5mph)

4.I don't hear any grinding or feel any strange vibrations while in motion

5. I have to hold the wheel white knuckle style when I'm driving because it feels that when I go over a road obstacle the steering wheel really wants to follow whatever direction the front wheels are going.

I have been told ball joints, steering rack bushings, sway bar bushings, and last but not least control arm bushings.

I am very inclined mechanically. I just need some insight on proper diagnostic steps.

Please Help Team Lextreme!!! ;-):confused::confused:

well beffore u can do alignments u must see if ur tie rods and balljoints r good
hav the car in the air on a 2 post now shake the front wheels side to side with each hand 180 degress across each other and see if u feel any play doing this will identify any tie rod and inner tie rod play do it on both sides
shake the wheel up and down with one hand on the top and one on the botom doing this will identify any balljoint or wheel bearing
if control arm bushings r shot then hav a assistant push inward on the top of the tire and u would hav to look at the control arm and see if u see play

if u hav wear on one side it could mean your toe or camber is way out but before all alignment issues u must check ur tie rods balljoints and wheel bearing

i hav had the rear of my car feel lik its floating or swerving turned out to be rear bearing

oh yea and with the car on the hoist shake the rear wheels sides to side wit hands 180 degrees from eeach other and see if there is wheel bearing play
good luck !

if u hear clunks that sound lik a deep and hollow clunk most likly its your stuts
to diagnose this go to the front of ur car push down on the hood wit one nee on the bumper push down wit all ur weight (you r jouncing the car) and let go and the car should bounce 1 .5 times if its more then its the struts same with the rear

and yes balljoints will be enough to make ur car feel unstable

get the car off the ground and start shaking wheels. With the steering wheel locked, nothing should be able to move unless a balljoint or bushing is bad. The wander in the front could be strut rod cushions or loose tie rod ends. Hard to say w/o seeing/feeling it.