1uz hilux 400 hp

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
So dyno'd the ute today, few issues....
first run was with intercooler and filter,
Was round the 185-190kw runnin 1lb.
Figured something wasn't right removed the filter
Went about 190-195kw not much more boost.
Put a vacuum line on the discharge of the charger and it read 5-6lb,
3rd run we removed the intercooler and ran a straight,
Was 210kw 800nm on 2.8lb...
Still not the boost I was after, anyone come across this before? I'm running the stock 6" crank pulley and a 3.125 supercharger pulley(my understanding that combination is good for about 10lb)Vortech v3 (new), intercooler I need to look into but if there is any advise on that also would be awesome as well! Only thing I can think of is bigger crank as I don't wanna go any smaller on the sc side as that is pretty small already
Cheers

My Opcon ran a much smaller SC pulley and had no problems with slip on an 8 rib belt.

Seems you need to swap one or the other.

Are you sure there are no restrictions on the inlet side?

Centrifugal blower Rod, totally different kettle of fish to positive displacement.

I'd guess your BOV is leaking or a leak somewhere. No way you can pressure drop 6psi from SC outlet to TB unless there's a leak or the shittest intake piping ever built ;)

Got a pic of the setup?

Justen,

I was referring to belt wrap not being a problem on a smaller pulley.

Never had any experience with a Centrifugal blower.

Belt wrap wont be an issue for this....definitely sounds like a leak as boost sounds about right at the compressor outlet and you can't lose 6psi as a pressure drop along the intake...1 or 2 at most unless he's used garden hose ;)

I ended up contacting CAPA Australia who I bought the unit off and showed them the dyno straight away he said belt slip (boost was a perfect straight line up till about 4000rpm then just dropped of rapidly).
I questioned the intercooler problem and what I have is a plate and bar I need a tube and fin as these are more suited for blower application as turbos are pushing more psi over flow where is a blower is more flow over psi? Meaning SC would be producing less heat??? That may not make sense that last bit but how he explained it seemed to make sense haha something like turbo is spinning at 90,000+rpm, blower is spinning 50,000rpm, less heat....
Anyway I put a Thermo gun on the 4 of the pulleys that are driving the charger and the two on the crank side showed about 50 degrees and the two on the charger side showed 80 degrees, so may look at a different set up for the belt tensioner on the charger side rather then a spring loaded one go to a mechanical one before I start spending money on it again.

Haha no garden hose running all alloy 2.7" same as charger output with only 4 rubber joins not a lot of piping really on the SC side to intercooler the pipe is only long enough to join to rubber joiners together (150mm) and after the intercooler about 600mm of pipe. Will do pics at some stage just don't have them on my computer yet.

As a quick check hit the belt with some " belt grip " 1st. Not a long term solution but it'll solve any slip short term and confirm that's the issue. I'm a bit surprised it's slipping as they don't have anywhere near the load of a posi SC and not hard to get them spinning big boost with no slip. Anyways, the grip stuff is easily sourced at any auto parts store.

So I needed this running pretty much just for our wedding (next weekend) then back off the road it goes to fix these issues so I'll get back to them down the track.
Took the intercooler out and put a straight pipe in its place and put it back together went for a drive went well until oil it pissed out all over the exhaust, I found the rear cam seal blew out and dumped oil the question is, what do I need to know when I replace it in terms of rtv and what not I will make a bracket to sit behind it like the opposite side has but At 2.5psi I don't think that'll create to many problems but when I start heading towards the 8-10psi i think there will need to be something done anyone else come across this before. Cheers

Crank case breathers aren't great. You were lucky, I blew out the rear main seal. I just made the two cam cover breathers flow as well as they could...ideally you would weld on new larger fittings. I also just ran mine to a catch can with no PCV...so not strictly street legal but solved the issue up to 25psi :)

lucky I asked I was just going to put a bracket behind it and put it back together but then thought what will give way next, so on the intake I just loop both the fitting together then for the cam covers just run a hose from each cover to a catch can? Think legal might be a bit lower on the priorities ATM haha thanks. what about the cam plug has anyone done one before?

All sorted made it to the wedding so now just to take some time and work out my options I put my intercooler back on and took it for a drive it is definitely restricting it so I've been looking into water/meth injection what's the go, seems a pretty simple system not cheap (not a hp bang for buck but more detonation provetion) I kinda liking the idea it's not a daily driver so I'm not worried about keeping it full when ever I go for a spin... what's the go with these can I run more boost? And from what I have read it seems to drop the temp so I'm thinking of flagging the intercooler completely and running the meth system?

Dynoed today on a hub dyno only able to do one power run and had the pull of the throttle at 5000rpm due to lack of fuel, reaching 10psi at 289kw 536nm no water/meth, with the pulley set up looks like it will get up to 15psi At about 6200rpm with water/meth. Might be worth a try see how it handles it... Apparently I need 1000cc injectors does that sound right? Only have 315 in there arm...

I was making lot more power at 21.5psi and running 440cc RX7 injectors.

Didn't run out of fuel.

Big injectors make it hard to get the engine to idle nicely.

Yea I read that on these forums that the 315cc would be fine for that power but the guy doing the dyno said he was maxed out on the duty cycle might need to look at fuel pump and fuel lines, which I have just change to an intank fuel pump and larger fuel lines but maybe I missed something in the process... 315cc should be good up to 350kw? I'm thinking of going to just 330kw and halting it there

I built a twin turbo van which pulled 378rwkw which was running 440cc MR2/7M black injectors. Duty cycle was into the 90's(further into the 90's than I would like) with slightly fat AFRs in the top end. Base fuel pressure was low 40's. Working on my calculations I was worried my injectors were a little small and in reality I feel that they are just a bit too small. I would like to go up to around 550's.

If I apply the same calculations to your power goals from a supercharger it comes out around the same size. I always like to go a little bigger but not too much. I did do a VVti with 1000cc injectors and it was crap down low.

Tuners do have a bit of a different idea of how they want to work but I agree with yours that your 315cc injectors should be maxed out at 289rwkw. One really basic way I use is one CC per RWHP for a safe sizing. 330rwkw is around 442rwhp so 440cc is close. Thats how I do it but others have different ideas.

oh yea that's an interesting way to look at it 1cc per rwhp I am thinking I will try the 550cc ones and that should be plenty and give me a bit of leeway if I ever try something else.. Looking at the graph it was at 5144rpm AFR rising 13-1 and if I understood it right the injectors where 120 duty cycle

Duty cycle is the amount of time the injector is on for so they can't go over 100% as thats when they are on all the time. With some aftermarket ECU's they do a calculation to what they think the injector is on for so include base fuel map, acceleration fuel, temp corrections etc so if the ECu said 120 duty and the AFR's were 13 to 1 then they were well maxed. I would be going around 550 too. One option for secondhand apart from Evo/RX7 would be ST215 caldina injectors. Rated at 540cc.

Just got the paperwork to be precise 12.756 as attached... Yea he was pretty adamant there was no way he was going to continue tuning until I got bigger injectors he did suggest changing pulley to lower the boost for when we do hit top rpm but thinking I'll see what it does maybe change it later...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 15