LS400 Air Box modification, CAI, BFI

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Death By Bass

nah, it'd make it worse, as the engine is now sucking in warm air from the engine bay, AND there is nolonger the air dam effect that the stock air intake got... lol

oh well.

nah, it'd make it worse, as the engine is now sucking in warm air from the engine bay, AND there is nolonger the air dam effect that the stock air intake got... lol

oh well.

This is an old thread but I missed the above response. DBB is incorrect. Anyone that has followed my posting knows that I have always stated the importance of avoiding hot underhood air. My modification isolates the airbox from underhood and provides cooler air in larger quantities than the stock design. It also does NOT remove the stock air dam of the stock system.

Track tested back to back multiple runs showed 1/2 mph gain in the quarter mile. This would indicate 5rwhp. It also increases the sound of the engine.

This is an old thread but I missed the above response. DBB is incorrect. Anyone that has followed my posting knows that I have always stated the importance of avoiding hot underhood air. My modification isolates the airbox from underhood and provides cooler air in larger quantities than the stock design. It also does NOT remove the stock air dam of the stock system.

Track tested back to back multiple runs showed 1/2 mph gain in the quarter mile. This would indicate 5rwhp. It also increases the sound of the engine.

I'm not incorrect.

any performance increase is nothing more than coincidence.

if you think the car FEELS faster, its simply because there is more induction noise, and its playing tricks on you.

why exactly do you think it will gain power? when its sucking in warm air from the engine bay now?

the stock intake had as much potential air flow as the NA engine would need, it was also nice, cool air...

so, how is it that you expect your modification to have made any difference?

I'm not incorrect.

any performance increase is nothing more than coincidence.

if you think the car FEELS faster, its simply because there is more induction noise, and its playing tricks on you.

why exactly do you think it will gain power? when its sucking in warm air from the engine bay now?

the stock intake had as much potential air flow as the NA engine would need, it was also nice, cool air...

so, how is it that you expect your modification to have made any difference?

Are you just TRYING to be argumentative?

Try READING what I posted. I have addressed EACH of your points.

This mod demonstrated consistent back to back improvement in actual 1/4 mile performance.

This mod has both COOLER air and LESS pressure drop to the filter.

Please review the following thread if you wish to comment further.

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9480&highlight=filter

Are you just TRYING to be argumentative?

Try READING what I posted. I have addressed EACH of your points.

This mod demonstrated consistent back to back improvement in actual 1/4 mile performance.

This mod has both COOLER air and LESS pressure drop to the filter.

Please review the following thread if you wish to comment further.

I've read it, and I dont actually believe it, you haven't actually given any proof, you've just said it was slightly faster down the 1/4 mile.

that proves nothing, where's the dyno readouts? multiple dyno readouts, all done on the same day of course.

with and without the mod.

otherwise your so called improvements are nothing more than talk.

I've read it, and I dont actually believe it, you haven't actually given any proof, you've just said it was slightly faster down the 1/4 mile.

that proves nothing, where's the dyno readouts? multiple dyno readouts, all done on the same day of course.

I think the REAL reason for your comments is that I said you were wrong. Your response is to accuse me of being wrong. Waste of time really.

I did so because YOU chose to pull up a 2003 thread in 2006 and make an incorrect assertion. I missed your comments until another member pulled it up here in 2008. Your comments were wrong and needing correcting for the good of others looking for facts.

Since the old pictures do not work I made a new post and provided the link

Here is your incorrect quote followed by the corrected details

oh well.

Anyone reading through the posted link and pictures will understand that I stress the importance of AVOIDING underhood heat with proper sealing of the structure. They would also see that removing the seal from around the headlight assembly will provide large quantities of cool air from the high pressure area at the cars front.

This mod actually has COLDER air than the stock setup. The large stock ducting absorbs heat from the radiator. To some degree this heat is then available to the air flowing through it to the air filter housing. Here are two pictures showing this large ducting for reference. Note this is AFTER my mod:

Now lets address your pointed comments above.

First of all this forum is designed for learning. Disagreements are going to happen. I request that everyone try to respectfully post any counter points. Maybe you do not mean it but your comments are accusational. You state I provide no proof and then site my testing calling it questionable. Carefull here. Anyone reading how I did the testing can argue that it was either reasonable or not. To accuse my statements as "nothing more than talk" is a direct jab at me. Maybe you do not feel I have earned any credibility. Others may dissagree.

You then want DYNO proof. Really. Suggest that I dyno a 5hp mod. Not very cost effective. Actual racetrack testing is the PREFERED method most actual racers choose. Dynos are helpful tools but how a car actually performs is the best data.

By this point it should be CLEAR that the mod I outline does not add heat to the air intake. Some could argue that my multiple back to back same day testing is inconclusive. After 30k miles on my car I can state that the only observed negatives to this mod is more engine noise under acceleration (most would like the change) and the filter seems to get dirty quicker (more flow?)

lol, ok, we'll just disagree, Im happy with that. haha

I still haven't had an explanation as to how you think cold air is getting to the air filter when its sucking hot air in from the engine bay, haha.

but hey, as long as its faster in your mind thats all that matters :?

lol, ok, we'll just disagree, Im happy with that. haha

I still haven't had an explanation as to how you think cold air is getting to the air filter when its sucking hot air in from the engine bay, haha.

but hey, as long as its faster in your mind thats all that matters :?

Ahhh... what?

If you took the time to review the link you would see the "explanation"...

The assembly re-installs as stock. The assembly is surrounded by foam to PREVENT hot under hood heat from reaching filter. The assembly creates an open area between the filter and the headlight assembly. The headlight seal is removed (apx 1" x 24" = 24sq/in) creating a path around the headlight assembly directly to the filter. Straightforward, simple and inexpensive. Similar to Peter Scott's BFI from planet soarer.

Aparently you are unfamilar with my post history. I have been a strong proponent of cool/cold air intakes for 20 years. This requires blocking the hot underhood air and providing a solid cold air pathway.

You are correct that hot under hood air is a performance negative. You are incorrect in accusing me of making that error.

so, in reality, its not going to make any difference? haha

still waiting for some actual proof btw, not just typed words, which mean nothing.

so, in reality, its not going to make any difference? haha

still waiting for some actual proof btw, not just typed words, which mean nothing.

I have clearly outlined how this mod makes a small but measurable (by race track testing) improvement. I have the timeslips. 6 passes. 3 with, 3 without, all same day, test time aprox 1.5 hours. Most here at Lextreme and at CL trust my "typed words". That you do not makes no difference to me. My only concern is correcting eroneous posting.

"Proof" can be assigned by my debunking your accusation of hot air ingestion with my design. I have clearly posted how your assertation is incorrect. Proof if you will within the confines of forum posting. You did not make that claim in your last post so you might finally agree.

A quick picture from my other thread showing the foam sealing around the air filter housing sealing out underhood hot air.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Bass, you're out of order.

If you want to have a rational discussion about this, fine. If you want to attack the person, take it private.

jbrady - dont take any notice of death by bass.... he is a troublemaker on a number of forums and has been banned from a few as well...he's just a pimple faced teen who thinks he's god.

jbrady - dont take any notice of death by bass.... he is a troublemaker on a number of forums and has been banned from a few as well...he's just a pimple faced teen who thinks he's god.

I appreciate the support.

That said DBB seems like an intelligent guy that probably has a lot to add. Just wish he would not use terms that are insultive.