BMW V12 Project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Arggghhh, I just found this Cosworth DFS for sale, fresh & complete for $24,900, but am already fully committed to my 6.0L V12.

http://www.can-am-cars.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=144

So, RU ready for this one?

"I coulda had a V8!"

No, not really..... I don't think I'd be tempted to change course unless a complete, low mileage Ferrari V12 was dropped in my lap for well under $15K, and that ain't about to happen.....

Cool to have one of these, but still that's alot of money for an engine, which you can't service yourself. I would spend half of that on the engine and the other half on a purpose made alcon braking system, that would probably make more sense

BTW there was a ferrari V12 testarossa engine on ebay italy a few months back that went for 13.500 euro's I think, was in good nick though but withou ancilleries.

grtz Thomas

Thomas, it would be way cool to have a TR engine, but I don't think I'll have the space for a boxer layout.

I would seriously considering altering the chassis to acoompany one, that would make for one low point of gravity on a GRP bodied car.

far too expensive for me though. they're not that big I'm told by the way, only wide in the wrong places for good traingulation in the rear chassis, but that can be fixed as Saker did on the 6 cyl subaru's.

grtz Thomas

In the '40 there's a battery box on one side and a lube oil sump on the other, which fall right where the cylinders would be.

Then there's the "bundle of snakes" exhaust, which would be a "real" challenge with a boxer motor! The only easy thing about this would be the intake, and even that could be a bear, considering the rear deck only has a central opening for the stacks to poke through, not two separate openings on the sides.

Haven't posted in awhile, as have been busy and more than a bit strapped trying to do two projects at the same time. Nevertheless here is the 6.0L motor I bought last month; it's currently sitting at the engine builder's place waiting for money to be pumped into it.....

The plan is to leave the long block alone, put the ITB intake on it, change the valve train over to the M73 roller setup, but put some hotter cams in it too, dry sump it, and adapt it for electric coolant pump(s). The dizzies were pulled off previously, so we'll put the M73's front timing cover on it to get the cam pickup, and we should be set to use the MoTeC M800 or one of the new Bosch boxes.

Just have to get my 1UZ a little further along, and let the hotrod budget recover a bit before focusing on this puppy.

finally i can read the bloody thing... !!!

there are not many things i can say, aside from wishing you lots of money and luck to finish this thing !

btw: the videos are nice but there is nothing like the real thing!

the third round of the FIA GT championship was hosted in Bucharest, Romania, i bet you don't even now where it is lol, and for those that don't know about it, in the GT1 class you can see Lambos, Maseratis and so on

the sound of the Lamborghini V12 is ORGASMIC, i had paddock tickets, and was right above their stand, and heard it crank the engine.... words can't describe it ! not to mention my girlfriend going crazy, she this fetish for Murcielagos and it was the first time she (and me) heard one

the LSx has nothing on this engine (there where a few C6 ZO6 corvettes)

and speaking of vettes, what do you think of the idea of shewhorning one of these M70s in a C4 ?

Welcome - you're Raca from GT40s.com, right? Hope you enjoy the Lextreme site. It's a pretty laid back crowd here, without a lot of restrictions on topics (seeing that I'm running this thread about a non-Toyota engine going into a non-Toyota car).

I completely agree with you on the sounds of a V12. The ones that got me hooked were the F1 V12 Ferrari's of the 60's and those shrieking Matra's were unlike any engine I've ever heard before or since. Pure music to a gearhead's ears!

I think dumping the ancient pushrod V8 in the 'vette and putting a modern OHC motor in it like one of these, or a V10 BMW engine would finally help bring the 'vette into the 21st century. Great idea!

BTW, this engine is only a little longer than a SBF or SBC, but it's a good bit taller because of the 60 degree Vee configuration. Might be a tough squeeze.....

a good bit heavier too. even made all from aluminum. i wish MMCs were viable to production engines, then everything would be a lot lighter.

My G50/52 is finally finished and was delivered to Fran Hall's shop last week. The engine builder is currently waiting for me to start diverting my salary to him, before he does much on the engine, hehe.

I'm trying to finish the 1UZ before getting too heavy into this V12 project.

DSC02568.jpg

DSC02576.jpg

DSC02567.jpg

Cheers Graeme, yeah that 2x4 didn't add too much bling to the photos did it, hehe.

Just as an aside, anyone outside the US who's looking at buying a big ticket item should check to see how much it costs from the US. Our dollar has taken a real pounding recently, so things like this transaxle, etc. should look pretty attractive if you're working in Euros or GBP, etc.

Looks mint John, best of luck with your projects, I'm an avid follower :)

And yes, dollers to the pound right now is looking pretty good, which is why I am considering a FFR Cobra kit all the way from over there because even with fraight chargers it will still work out cheaper than a local kit here like the Dax kit.

No no, just saying with the current exchange rate from pounds to dollers its probably cheaper to buy and import an FFR from the US than it is the buy a DAX (DJ Sportscars) cobra replica kit over here in the UK.

woooow an UPDATE !

man that thing looks great

if I where you, i would put on display in my living room :D (until the rest of the parts are needed ) :D:D:D:D:D:D