A650e feels very weak

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

eicca

1998 GS400. Even with the pressure dial all the way up, I can barely feel the gear changes at any level of throttle.

I drove two other GS4s which likely didn’t have the pressure dial turned up, and they change gears much more solidly.

My fluid is all fresh, but when I first had the car is was further on the brown side than I like.

It hasn’t gotten any worse over two years of somewhat aggressive driving.

But what are the odds a filter change would fix it? I’m thinking if there’s enough worn crap in the filter to kill it, I may as well just get a junkyard tranny.

I’m kind of strapped for cash at the moment so any sage advice as to the most cost-effective fix is greatly needed.

I nearly always start with a service on the trans which includes fluid and filter. Its a good opportunity to have a look in the bottom of the box too. Ive pulled a few pans off to find spare parts in the bottom of boxes that where meant to be good units. Also good chance to see how much crap is on the magnets. That said if its not slipping and hasnt gotten worse crossing your fingers might be an option.

There was definitely crap on the magnets, but nothing worse than the average transmission maintenance YouTube video. No big flakes or chunks or anything.

I had it WOT at 100mph a few days ago and the 3-4 upshift was nice and firm. Got a good shift shock out of it, way stronger than 1-2 or 2-3. I’m inclined to think it’s just wear on those particular clutches. A junkyard trans with accumulator shims will probably be the ticket. Until then I’ll drain and fill and just keep driving.

+2 There is a writeup for the a650e Is300 transmission accumulator shim that will help firm up the shifts without making them ridiculous...

I should update the resolution on this. Turns out the 25-amp EFI fuse was bad without actually being blown. Before you get out the pitchforks, I've removed and reinstalled the original EFI fuse dozens of times and reset the ECU dozens more with just the battery terminal. Never made a difference.

Only AFTER replacing the fuse with a brand new one for experimental purposes was there a significant difference. Now I have shift shock between first and second. That's NEVER been the case. It shifts faster and stronger all around, no slippage under any amount of throttle. Feels like a perfectly healthy transmission now.

That sounds really weird. Mine is soft in every gear but 5th.. I thought it was just clutch slippage. Where's this fuse? I might change it just for the heck of it lol

It's the 25A EFI fuse in the block right in front of the battery.

Small disclaimer, I used a 30A fuse because that's all I had on hand. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but maybe try it just to replicate my experiment exactly.

It's the 25A EFI fuse in the block right in front of the battery.

Small disclaimer, I used a 30A fuse because that's all I had on hand. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but maybe try it just to replicate my experiment exactly.
I ended up just getting a fully race built trans lol. Testing at the track in 3 weeks!