Who Needs a Supercharger Manifold?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
I think a number of us are in the market for a "universal" type supercharger manifold - something with a removable top plate that can be machined to fit whatever type of charger we're using. Here in the US the Eaton or Whipple would probably be the chargers of choice, where in Oz it would probably be a Sprintex or Eaton? I've just purchased an Eaton M112, so getting a manifold has just become a priority for me.

Can we get an idea just how many people need/want one of these manifolds for their projects? This should give the fabricators an incentive to step up to the plate with their offers, and perhaps a GP could be organised......

John

No idea of cost yet David; ATM, I'm just interested in seeing how many others are in the same shape as you & me, then perhaps some enterprising fabricator will step up and agree to make a few. I've emailed Tom @ Bullet, and Danny @ FAT to see what they'll offer their manifolds for.

It's a pity there's no one on our side of the pond, but the US 1UZ aftermarket just isn't as mature as it is in Oz. I'll bet that the people that come into the market early will do well, as PHR, Toyomoto and the other "old line" shops have done for the 2JZ motor.

John

vvti for me as as well. I think the vvti design would be best like the TRD 2UZ one, blower blows upward into a plenum and the runners are vertical, matching the ports for a nice straight shot into the cylinder. I would love to design/build this myself, but I am so far away from doing that. IMO the easiest way would be to mill the stock lower manifold and adapt a new plenum.

There was a guy in Texas selling a one off supercharger kit on ebay awhile back. I contacted him and we corresponded via email and phone. Communication was quite difficult since english didn't seem like his first language. I never really followed up on it but here are some pictures of what he built.

Red Supra said:
Is that for a VVT-i headed *UZ?

Don't believe so. If someone from Texas is interested, PM me and I'll forward his email to you. I'm not sure if the guy will appreciate it if I plaster his contact info on the internet.

Well, the kenne bell has a lot of documentation and tesing on the whipple 2300, their direct competition to their 2.2l blower. They are almost identical, and the kenne bell supports ~800 hp. The whipple uses a little more HP to drive, but nothing that should concern us. I also tried to get a kenne bell, but they will not sell just the blower. It would be great if whipple would do a group by, but not sure how many people we would need (5?).

My first choice was the Whipple also, but with these Cobra pulloffs going for $400 - $600 on eBay, they're hard to resist, and they come with an integral bypass valve - something that will have to be added and plumbed externally on the Whipple.

They may be 20-25% less efficient than the Whipples, but they're only 20% of the cost too!

Nothing definitive yet on manifolds, however I'm chasing a couple of promising leads locally (USA).

Sure wish Joel (Jordy's Ski Boat) would jump in here and build us a few.....

John

Zuffen said:
The Cobra take-offs are good buying but what would you do about intercooling?

The Eaton really does need a cooler.
Rod, I'm going to try MW injection in lieu of a dedicated intercooler. The process model that we ran a few months ago gave very encouraging numbers with methanol.

Additionally, I'll be running LPG with a minimum octane of 105, and probably more like 110, so the setup should be very resistant to knock.

John

One advantage of LPG is you'll always have a spare bottle for when your home BBQ runs out.

Has any one looked at fiting an intercooler unit in the manifold. Given the small outlet from the blower it would "do-able" without moving the starter motor.

Intercoolers are for chumps!

John you can run E85 as well. It has an octane rating of 100-105, but availability stinks! :)