Type IV ATX trans fluid

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I'll change my trans fluid tomorrow. (didn't buy it yet)

is there something better i can put in my SC400 trans than Type IV ???

I'll also add an external oil cooler.

Another question :

is there an oil filter inside the trans? is it easy to change? should i install an external oil filter too ???

There's been a raging debate in the Supra community for years about whether Type IV is really necessary. Some tranny gurus claim that Dexron III or IV with some of this stuff: http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf_hfm.html will work as well or better than the OEM product.

Some owners have had the misfortune to take their cars to a "Jiffy Lube" type place and had a whacked out HS dropout do their tranny fluid change, and have had to have their A340E's overhauled - and I know one of these guys personally.

I always played it safe with my A/T and stuck with the OEM product, but FWIW, my tranny gave it up at 96K and I'm having it rebuilt now....

I changed fluid for Type IV in my Cressida and the trans works really nice. And I'm not sure to understand well the graphic of the lubeguard product.

stock fluid seems to be better than with their product?

And I do all my oil changes myself, no Jiffy lube or places like that, i heard enough horror stories.

Lubegard sucks!? lol!

TTIV-I.jpg
TTIV-II.jpg

If your transmission calls for TT-IV. That's what you need to run. A TT-IV spec fluid. If you have the money & the need, or desire, use a TT-IV spec approved synthetic. AMSoil fits the bill there.

Same as everything else AFAIK. For that, you need to ask over at Bobistheoilguy.com, where people that actually are deep into it may know. (& little is out for TT-IV).

Synthetic is going to be more stable at high temp, last longer & not start to burn. Everything you need in a transmission getting alot of power dumped into it!

well I flushed the trans this afternoon. It was about time, the oil was really dark. took 9 liters to flush all the old fluid, then 2.5 to top fill the trans. didn't make a ride with the car to see if it's smoother but it can't hurt.

Using a coupling on the return line and an old compressed air hose to dump into the oil tub, no spill, clean and quick job, it took 30 minutes, about 3-3.5 liters of fluid on each run, then add 3 liters into the transmission.

Coolness. Don't forget the powersteering fluid, brake fluid, differential, and coolant.
Most people never do those. Differential fluid/oil just gets a nasty smell to it. Normally b/c when you go to change it, it's atleast like 10 years old! LoL!

I thought i'd add to this post even though it is old for the sake of people who use the search feature.
The SC400 transmission does not use a filter. I thought it was odd, but they seem to perform well without one.

Then my mitchell must be real stupid, because they mention there's a filter, and in the TSRM they mention the A340-E has a filter inside the trans, and the lexus also uses the same A340-E.

I bet 20 bucks there's a washable metal screen filter inside that transmission. it's just they never sell the part because they only wash it in brake cleaner then reinstall it.

Then my mitchell must be real stupid, because they mention there's a filter, and in the TSRM they mention the A340-E has a filter inside the trans, and the lexus also uses the same A340-E.

I bet 20 bucks there's a washable metal screen filter inside that transmission. it's just they never sell the part because they only wash it in brake cleaner then reinstall it.

A screen isn't necessarily a filter. What if you broke or lost it, they'd still have a part number for a filter if there was one.

They all have filters. Technically Toyota calls it just a strainer most of the time & it does have a small metal screen to pick the fluid up.

It doesn't filter so much as it reaches down into the pan like an oil pick-up tube.

flush or just change

I'm a little skeptical about a complete flushing the a/t fluid, and would probably go with 4 separate "drops" over the next 12k miles to dilute as much as possible with AMSOIL fully synthetic, any thoughts on this? I don't trust anyone else with the flush and don't want to chance messing things up by doing it myself. I plan on changing the strainer after the first 3k use of the synthetic. What do you think?

LS400GUY