Project Thread Supercharged 5 speed SC400 - 2nd go with bigger goals

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

SuperRunner

So my original project was an intercooled M90. I made a custom intake with custom runners and a top outlet M90 out of an intercooled ford thunderbird. I made a custom water/air box which mounted to the top of the intercooler, then down into the intake manifold.

Lets just say I was very disappointed in the amount of boost I got from the M90, even with the smallest pulley possible. In fact, the car ran hardly any different with the water pump for the IC turned off. Only made a very small difference on super hot days. I did however get a chance to get it dyno'ed. With a 50shot of nitrous I made around 300rwhp with 350ft/lbs of torque. Not impressive at all.

Late last summer I hooked up my AEM from my supra, dropped in some 440cc injectors and ran E85. With this I added as much timing as I could get and still make power using my butt dyno. With my 6-7psi on the charger(non-intercooled at this point due to pump failure) I still got 35 degrees of timing. I also bumped the rev limiter up to 8,000RPM and it loved it.

There were two drawbacks at running the motor that high. The first was the fact that the M90 loses effeciency after about 12,000RPM. I have about a 2:1 pulley on the charger and I run the motor to 8,000RPM the charger was seeing 16,000RPM. Much too high for the poor little guy. The second drawback was that the transmission didn't like it either, and failed on my within 2 weeks.

So now to remedy these two problems. For the supercharger I decided to use the M112 off a Ford Lightning. This will allow me to run the charger at a lower RPM and still gain more airflow. Since the M112 is a bottom outlet I also had to completely re-design my intake setup, so starting from scratch now. For the transmission I will be installing an R154 with my own custom bellhousing and a custom flywheel used from a slightly machined 3.0V6 truck/4runner I however would love to get an aluminum flywheel later on.

This image will continually change to show my updated final status

sc400_sc.jpg

LOWER COMPRESSION?:eek: NO WAY!!!!!

I will probably run this M112 with the smallest pulley, and a 100 single shot. I also run on E85.(I also have 50gallons of E98).

Here are the latest progress pics.

I finished up the intercooler. Was a bit of a pita, and I should have done the fittings slightly differently as well as the front end tank. I should have welded a 1" plates to the front of the end tank to extend the bottom part of the tank to meet flush with the front of the manifold. This would have allowed to drill and tap holes for the mounting bolts without hitting water, and I could still drill and tap holes for the AN fittings instead of using a 1/4" mounting plate for the mounting bolts and welding in tubes for the AN fittings. If that made any sense what so ever.

I then drilled and tapped, and inserted the studs for the charger

m112_ic.jpg

Now for a test fit of the charger

mounted_m112.jpg

And this is what it looks like with the hood closed. Sticks out about 2 inches more than my previous setup.

m112_hood.jpg

you got more info on your idler pulley setup ?
This stuff really makes me smile, i love seeing a supercharger sticking out the bonnet :)
Have you checked you intake temps with the pump on/off ?

Attachments

• transfer case input shaft sizes.jpg
    transfer case input shaft sizes.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 199
  • Transfer case Input shaft links.jpg
    Transfer case Input shaft links.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 198
The idler pulley on the right is a 2J timing bolt tensioner. I welded 1" aluminum rod to the cam sensor bracket, although I am not sure how I like this yet as it causes the whole bracket to move a little and I am concerned about the rotor possibly hitting the cap. I will try tighting it a litte more. I have seen other setups like this so I wonder if they are having the same problem.

The pulley on the left is from an unknown vehicle. I will try to find out what it is from by referencing the part number. The bolt hole was just a tiny bit to small for the stock tensioner shoulder bolt, so I did have to drill it just a tiny bit. Works perfect though. I will probably swap out the 2J tensioner with this same one.

I only started it up for about 30 seconds last night. There are still a few things I have to do before it can really run:

Intake with throttle body
relocate upper water pipe
purchase new water pump for intercooler

Then it still needs to become drivable. My pedal assembly arrived today, but I am still waiting on my flywheel from the machine shop. I also still need a driveshaft made up.

Attachments

• Shifter Pins 01.jpg
    Shifter Pins 01.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Shifter Pins 02.jpg
    Shifter Pins 02.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 198
Are the tensioners adjustable ?
or are they fixed ?

How long do you reckon till its running and you have a vid ?

fixed, but easily replaced with some adjustable ones.

For video, depends on the machine shop and when they get my flywheels done. Got 5 sitting over there just waiting to be machined. I will however try to get it fully running with a temporary top mounted throttle body and get some vid of that this weekend.

Lex, thanks.

Well, motor has been overheated severely twice and it has almost 180,000 miles on it.

What I want to do is see what I can get out of this thing before it pops.

My main concern is the head gaskets with stock bolts, and with the overheating they may fail much earlier than a more fresh stock motor. I also would like to put in some 272 duration cams and springs, then dyno before and after to get a nice comparison as to what nothing but bolt ons can do.

quick question mate, what width and length are your top and bottom plates for the manifold ?

Attachments

• UCF11[1].pdf
    40.8 KB · Views: 11
Top plate is 10" wide, but I don't know the rest of the dimensions off the top of my head. I might be in the area today, if so I will stop by my shop and get some measurements.

I didn't quite get it running over the weekend, but I did relocate the water pipe and I spent several hours cleaning parts on the motor and re-doing some of the wiring. I did order some tundra headers though, so sometime next week I will pull out the motor to slap those on.

Also I never tightened down the bolts on the cam sensor bracket, so once I tightened those down, the idler pulley was solid.

i ordered some alloy plates for top and bottom, just makin sure they are big enough :)
just need some to do the sides, ive got an intercooler for the chargecooler.
all i need is a shorter snout and i can get take it into college to use there acdc tig
even the snout from an m90 fits.
you still got your m90 mate ? sell the snout ?

I will get back to you on that M90 snout.

So I got the SC running, but not with a mounted TB yet. Just had a little small TB I had laying around, and set it on top of a plate I had over the inlet. So far soo good.

I did however manage to ruin my IC core. I had one small leak to fix and when I welded it, one of the tubes grounded out and made a pinhole. I tried to fix, but it only made it worse, so I will have to build another. Oh well.

Got my clutch today and I will pick up my flywheel tomorrow, then the transmission can go in and I can work on getting a custom driveshaft.

I decided I wanted to get the thing running with a throttle body attached so I started working on my "street legal" intake. It is almost done, just need to do a tad more welding with some plate around intake tube, and then weld on the Q45 TB flange.

top_intake1.jpg

top_intake2.jpg

top_intake3.jpg

its ok about the snout, i did a mock up and the jaguar charger is the perfect length :)
thats a nice intake mate, mine will be a little easier as its rear entry

what I am excited for is a top entry intake. I want to find a throttle body with 3 butterfly valves so it is low profile and wide. Or if some one of those blower hats with the 3 valves are strong enough for 20 in/HG.