Some 1uz swap questions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

praufet

So like many others with the accursed 3vz, I am considering a swap. The $500 cost of a junkyard 1uz is shifting me towards this swap. I have a few questions though. First off I I know the sc400 is a rwd drive car so would that be better than swapping in the ls400 1uz? Will it bolt up to my 5 speed manual transmission if I get an adapter plate or custom bellhousing? I know there are places in AU that sell parts for this swap, are there any in the US? How hard/expensive would it be to make the motor mounts for the engine? I plan on having a 1" body lift will this in combination with the rear sump version (whichever that one is) be enough to keep from having to make a custom sump? Right now I am just trying to price it all out. Thanks for any and all help.

Read the post of 1UZFE in V6 4RUNNER by Dave. Basically you'll need a Celsior (front sump) and 2" body lift to eliminate the need to modify the sump. You will need to relocate the steering dampener though.

I'm currently going through the same (almost) swap and I can say this is the easiest way. I'm doing it to a diesel Surf - almost identical engine bay ect.

Hope this helps.

Why the front sump over the rear sump? Also I was hoping to avoid a body lift as large as 2", just not my taste. Would I have to buy a custom bellhousing or is there a bellhousing that will bolt up to the engine and the transmission?

there ya go, may have to look into it. Anyone know of a diff drop kit for the second gen? I know of some for the 3rd but not the second. Also, any links for bellhousings or adapter plates?

The rear sump would sit right on top of the diff and the mid sump sits the rear of the sump on the front of the diff. The front sump clears the diff and almost clears the steering - only the last 50mm or so sits on the steering. The reason for the body lift is it allows you to sit the engine high enough to sit above the steering and it only costs AUD$50 (if making them yourself). This would be far less than modifying your sump.

Do you have IFS or solid?

Would I have to buy a custom bellhousing or is there a bellhousing that will bolt up to the engine and the transmission?
I assume you are buying the engine only? If so, do you plan using your original tranny? Man or auto?

Let me know and i'll reply with the answer for either (to long to write both while i'm at work)

I have IFS and a manual transmission, though if easier and more cost effective I wouldn't object to switching to auto.

For the 2nd Gen a diif drop is a piece of cake. Just make to 30mm spacers out of Nylon or solid alloy like the ones in the pic (objects 3rd accross from the left), and get new longer high tensile bolts. These just go on the two rear mounts, and the diff pivots on the front crossmember. This site will show you a bit more info too, but it mainly covers a ball joint lift install.
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/customsuspension.htm

aab.sized.jpg

That seems like a real popular mod in AU, hasn't quite caught on in the States yet. Any ill effects with the balljoint lift compared to just a torsion bar crank?

I've done both, ball joint lift and tosion bar crank. I've got about 3" lift out of it, but you could push it to 4" if it was for "show" only.

But there is no ill effects, handles the same, wheels alignment is all fine, the only problem I had is my Rancho Shocks weren't long enough. I've got new longer ones going on soon.

praufet said:
I have IFS and a manual transmission, though if easier and more cost effective I wouldn't object to switching to auto.

From I've learned, the auto is cheaper. (and should be easier)

For a manual, you need a custom bellhousing - probably other things as well. Look here:

http://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhousings.htm

http://www.dellowauto.com.au/main.html

http://www.1uzquadcam.co.nz/

For the auto, you need a stock 1UZFE bellhousing. The a340_ family of autos bolt right up to the bellhousing. I'm looking to do an auto. Probably an a340f out of a T100.

Not sure what torque converter to use either.

I "think" the ECU for the 1UZFE will control the tranny if it has the right number of solenoids... I'm trying to figure out which year to look at for engine, ECU, tranny....