Really Pissed!!! Want your opinions, please

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

SC400TT

Hey Guys:

As you all know, I have been planning, designing and working on my Twin Turbo project for my SC400 for a while. I tried to be careful and screen who would be the welder to fabricate the plumbing for my project. I selected a company after talking to many...There were other possibilities I was considering above this guy, because this type of work was all they did, but on each one of them I managed to hear horror stories about either poor quality work, or keeping someones car for 6 months to a year or longer, and still not getting the work done.

I discussed these concerns with this welder/fabricator, and he assured me that he could get the job done within 2-4 weeks, no longer than 6 weeks if he ran into problems. Since I heard nothing negative on the guy, I went ahead and hired him to do the job. He has had my car since May 20, 2005...

It is now August 18, 2005, and he still has my car. This is what he has managed to get done up to this point:
1)Removed my exhaust from the cats back
2)Removed the two manifolds and heat shields
3)Remove the radiator and fan
4)Dremel out 6 of the primarys from the Stainless steel Tundra headers I provided
5)Cut and shape the four runners on the passenger side and tack weld them in place in the flange

That is it. He gives me every excuse in the book, and maybe works on the project 2-4 hours every 2 weeks or so if that. I have caught him in several lies telling me he was working on my car during a specific day and time, yet I had been over to his shop during that period of time, and he was not there. He is a 1 man show, so no one was there.

Initially, our agreement was 50% upon commencement of the work and 50% upon completion. But during the first 2 weeks, he mentioned that he was very low on cash, and would need more money because he needed to order some materials, and that once he got started, it would need more work. I, against my better judgement, paid him the rest in advance to help him out, and hoping he would be motivated by the gesture to complete the job in a most timely manner. That was obviously a mistake.

Guys, please do not beat me up for paying him inadvance...I am a business man, and tried to help him out as a gesture of good faith. I knew it was risky, but I took a chance. I will not ever make that mistake again.

Anyway, I would love your opinions...He has obviously not lived up to our agreement, but what do you guys think? Am I being unrealistic by expecting him to be farther, much farther along by now?

Thanks,

Ryan

i would not be happy at all, however i have seen this happen to a mate here, personally i would take the car back and get a solicitor to send him a letter asking for some money back, i dont know how much it has cost you to get this done, and how much it would cost to get this little amount he has done so far, or just get the letter to him anyway sayin you want it back and complete on a certain date ( dont be unrealistic or youll get a reall shitty job done ) or you will take him to see judge judy

Lextreme said:
Kiss his ass until he finish this project. Otherwise, you would spend alot more money if you tow your car to another shop.
Lex, I think I will let you kiss his ass...I here you are a real good ass kisser...

Ryan

Ryan,
I'd be inclined give him an ultimatum - either finish it, give the money back, or it's off to the small claims court

The longer you leave it the less of a chance of resolution...

Muzz

Yeah, ultimatum time.
I'm surprised when I hear these things, because most of the exhaust shops around my way have had nothing by praise from everyone who has gone there.

The guy that did mine, had the car for about 6-7 working DAYS, and in that time, managed to build a set of custom tuned length 4-2-1 extractors.
Anyone who has seen them knows that its not a quick knockup job either.

Also any place that asks for money upfront doesn't get my business.
As you said, you gave him the money against your better judgement. You should have stuck with your judgement.

Sure, if they guy was building you something out of titanium, that would end up costing thousands, then he has the right to ask.
But for a 'simple' set of twin turbo headers, its not several thousands worth.

Ryan,
I feel you pain. I went thru 3 different shops that were highly recommended by multiple people before the third shop actually got it done. Fortunately, I didn't put any money down until progress had actually started on my car at the third shop. It still took them a month to complete.
I would have to agree with muzz and peewee. Even though I didn't have money up front, I still had to resort to an ultimatum on the first two shops. The first shop actually paid for the towing to the second shop because the owner had a guilty conscience.
Good luck

i hear of these storys all the time
its just what they do mate
so as lex said just let him do it suck up his arse
visit him everday as often as you can
annoy him by been there all the time
at the end of the day im sure you will be happy with his work
and just from experiance
if you take him to small claims he will still get paid for the work he has done and even then
he can opt to just pay you back at a dollar a day
reality sucks :(

i know its probably not what you want to hear
but its just a few people i know have had to go though

v

I've been waiting over 3 months for some TIG welding completed.

Fortunately I'm not in a hurry.

I may just visit the welder tomorrow to remind him I'm still alive.

Rod
I took my plenum down to a guy in Ashbury for some fab work and he called me that afternoon to say its ready and to come and pick it up. Now that is a quick turnaround.
Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
Brett,

Can you post up his name, address and contact numbers.

What was he priced like? It really doesn't matter what he costs, at least he does it.

Attachments

• DSCF0474.JPG
    DSCF0474.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0481.JPG
    DSCF0481.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 23
would it not be a bad idea to have a list of people that have done work for the members here
i mean you could post a price the time it took and a pic of the finished artical
leat that way you hopfully know what your getting into

v

I say give the guy an ultimatum,3 months wait and catching him in several lies maybe it's time to KICK his ass not kiss it.

vvega said:
would it not be a bad idea to have a list of people that have done work for the members here
These are all in TX.
Cartech - Good, but expensive
Henderson Performance (HPT) - Good
Dynotex - Bad
Lethal Performance - Bad