Piggy back ECU gains?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

I recently hooked up my SAFC piggy back ECU and proceeded to tune it rich and then lean and could not gain more then 8whp no matter what I did...I have read reported gains as much as 20whp with Safc only, tuning on several SC's..... I realize when you tune to run lean you get more power but at some point you run the risk of damaging your motor at higher rpms..Also if you have the capabilities to tune the timing as well then HP gains should be made as well....However, I still just don't see how you can pull more then 15whp off of a good tune unless your stock ECU is way out of whack to begin with...Am I right or wrong? Do I need to find a new tuner?

I recently hooked up my SAFC piggy back ECU and proceeded to tune it rich and then lean and could not gain more then 8whp no matter what I did...I have read reported gains as much as 20whp with Safc only, tuning on several SC's..... I realize when you tune to run lean you get more power but at some point you run the risk of damaging your motor at higher rpms..Also if you have the capabilities to tune the timing as well then HP gains should be made as well....However, I still just don't see how you can pull more then 15whp off of a good tune unless your stock ECU is way out of whack to begin with...Am I right or wrong? Do I need to find a new tuner?

i know this is an old post, but if you are still wondering about this, keep in mind that by leaning out your fuel curve with the safc, you are also increasing timing. when the ecu sees less air flow, it goes to a higher timing map because it thinks there is less load. the only way to tune to fine tune with a safc is by using a wideband 02.

Don't sweat bringing up the oldies but goodies...Some of the best threads are in the past as I have a recent tendancy to search, seek, find and post...:sleeping:

Using a wideband 02???......Please explain further if you would be so kind.....

How do you tune using a wideband 02? My SAFC is plug and play, I not sure I understand...

ok, well, a wideband 02 sensor is a super accurate 02 sensor used mainly by turbo car tuners to find what the a/f ratio is. by monitoring your a/f as i'm sure you know, you can add or remove fuel with the safc as necessary to achieve the optimum (for power) a/f ratio under full throttle. i have yet to find out what the optimum power a/f is for the 1uz though. on my mitusbishi turbo's, it's typically around 10.8 to 11.5 to 1.
wideband kits are available on ebay and several other online performance shops.

Ok, got it thanks..... Do these wideband 02 Sensors sit in place of the stock 02 sensors? Or is this something you just ad onto the exhaust to read the flow in addition to the stock (4) 02 sensers?...

No..... It is for tune only... its not for everything use. You will burn it out if you do that. Beside they are not compatible with oem computer. You can install them into the exhaust pipe with a bung or clip it into the tail pipe for sniffing.

David you're thinking of the laboratory quality wide bands like the Horiba units.

There are others on the market (I own & use one by FJO) that are "nearly" as accurate, use the 5 wire NTK O2 sensor, which is mounted just downstream of my turbocharger, and are left in all the time. They're accurate from around 9.5:1 out to around 18:1 AFR