nitrous on a 92 sc400?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

v8eurotrash

i see alot of turbo and supercharged articles on the v8 lexus, but why not any for them on nitrous? is there a safe amount to use if its a wet kit? i have catback exhaust, magnecore 8.5 wires, iridum plugs, msd dis-4 plus, sheilded cold air intake w/k&n filter and de-screened maf, 5-30 full syn. oil w/k&n oil filter for performance upgrades. future will be dragon torque converter, headers w/high flow cats and egr delete, electric fan, and supra lsd diff. so i want to know what a safe wet kit hp rating would be, and where to get the fuel supply from? all info will be greatly helpful. thanks.

Well hear is one on nos - It's safe as long as you don't shoot for a 150hp shot or higher and I have been using nos constantly for over a year. Here is a couple of pic's of my 100hp dry system. Oh and I also have all the other goodies you mentioned on my Sc400. Good luck, just remember it's $40 for 10lb refill, $60 for 15lb bottles which is not cheap if you use the nos every chance you get like I do....

got 150 worth.

I have been running a nitrous express 150Hp wet system on a completely stock 1uz out of a crown the trans has a shift kit and the manifolds are stock from there back is 2 1/4 off the manifolds which merge into a 3" s/s sytem to the back. The ute weighs in at 1500 kgs (3300 lbs) ready to run .

Todate my best time is 13.1 at 105 mph looking to get into the 12's i need a bottle heater as i only have 10 lbs bottles and the pressure drops off after a coupel of runs.
so far i have done 5 runs plus some tests . no problems yet i am concerned about the ability of the std fuel pump to keep up the fuel pressure and flow so before i run it again i will put in an extra pump.

Regards oz.

ozvenom said:
no problems yet i am concerned about the ability of the std fuel pump to keep up the fuel pressure and flow so before i run it again i will put in an extra pump.

Regards oz.

You may have got away with it for now put the increase of fuel is a must!!!!

You are running a liquid straight into the heart of the system which when it leaves the injector immediately expands into a huge volume of Nitrous oxide gas. This huge volume of gas needs a corresponding ratio amount of fuel to keep the cycle correct.

By dumping just the gas and not enough fuel, and then not retarding the ignition properly you are majorly running the risk of lean detonation, piston break down, and a whopping great repair bill.

I haven't got time to find it but if you do a search I wrote a full detailed post about Nitrous on my AC Cobra about a year or more ago. I wired in solenoids, an extra fuel pump and line, bottle heater, bottle pressure cut out switch for the heater, a programmable Jacobs Mastermind unit (which has an engine rev limiter and adjustable retard settings as well as programmable rev setting for gas to flow, at what % of total gas to flow, and gas rev limit cut off), plus other crap.

I did all this to flow 175bhp of gas (alegedly) on a 5.7litre engine. So for a corresponding ratio a 1UZFE should be looking to take a similar route to get 123bhp of gas properly!!!

Please please read it then ask me any questions.

Ta
Mark

Skid is right, I had to get a Walbro fuel pump and nos autolites plugs (cool temp) to handle the 100hp nos shot.. Heater cores on the bottles really make a difference on the nos output, I have two. It is night and day between a bottle being charged at 700psi and 1200psi... It sure helps on keeping up the pressure when the bottle is half empty as well. The 15lb bottle's keep low pressure to begin with so you really need the heater cores with 15 pounders. The 10lb bottles hold better pressure when charged. I can tell my nos shot goes well over the 100hp when the bottle is heated to 1200psi or more...tires just spin like crazy.....instant power at the rears with no delay what so ever.

True story, I once left the heater cores powered on while on a hot day like an idiot and went shoping for 30 minutes, came back to the car and saw the nos pressure gauge was peged at 1500psi+ off the scale. I started tapping the gauge thinking it was broken then realised what happened. Got nervous thinking the bottle might blow, hit the open road in a hurry and powered on the nos. WOW is all I can say because that was by far the fastest my car has ever ran...

for the record, pushrod and over head cam motor V8's love NOS, I dont know a V8 that cant handle a 100 shot dry. All the mustangs here have NOS. I had a 75 shot on my MR2 back in the day, and man did it make a difference, it was very fast! I plan on running the same kit on my MR2/V8 here in a few months. However I was wondering if anyone had a direct port setup? I would be interested in seeing how it would be mounted, I guess the tubes would run on top of the manifold. For now I will be using a 100 shot wet, because wet is where its at! its safer and Ive seen better power out of wet shots. Dont get me wrong a 100 shot dry on this 1uz,2uz,3uz will not harm it unless your a red light racer.

My kit is an NX express and it needs to be spaced 8 inches from the TB, also be sure you want to get rid of the coolent lines to the throttle body if you want to spray a big shot! it could freeze the Throttle body open.... just 2 cents...

Thanks,
jeff

This was my current justification on timing retarding, though i know its ULTIMATLY FALSE. The car has an automatic timing set which changes timing during different driving conditions (fast, slow, idle, red light racing). Therefore, my explanation to myself for risking blowing out my block is that while juicing the car, the ecu will automatically do the neccesary changes for spark timings. Seems to give an idea fo security, but maybe i over thought it or gave the car too muck technological credit. In due time i feel that i might be proven wrong the hard way.

Retarding the timing at higher rpm is a good idea with a larger nos shot of 100hp or more. Also it is a good idea to tweak the air/fuel ratio with a piggyback ECU to have the car run slightly rich to best accomadate the nos system. That is what I did with my 100hp shot system...(note: I did not retard the timing though) and have had no problems or issues what so ever for over year...Engine still purs.... Oh and I am only a red light racer, no harm here...

Things to think about, nos will only blow your engine at high rpm's and that usually is a result of running nos for too long a period of time while redlining the engine. This can happen without the above issues that I stated being address. So you do need to address a few issues when uping the nos output of 100hp or more for best and safe results...

Is there anybody with a wet system that can tell me where and how they tapped into the fuel line. A picture is worth a thousand words but I would be pleased with anything.

Thanks lots of good info already

I would like to know why is everyone liking the wet systems so much over the dry? The dry system works great and I am livng proof of that. I am also told it is safer and more reliable......that is the reason I went dry over wet....

the only problem with a wet system is you have to tap the fuel delivery line to the fuel rails, if your fuel pump doesnt supply enough pressure then the fuel rails will go lean, I didnt have a problem with my setup because I ran an aftermarket fuel system. A lot of dry systems starve the cylinders by not sending enough fuel, if you up the fuel pressure then a dry shot is about the same, however I like all ports to receive fuel and NOS. I dont know if a dry is safer and more reliable to the engine, but its SAFER than exploding in a lot of cases.

Example I was racing a mustang spraying 200 shot (wet), and his intake pipe came loose and it sprayed fuel on the engine and exploded beside my car, it looked amazing, but could have sent metal in my car and hurt me or him for that matter. Needless to say I won lol.

Jeff

I would say 150 shot or less dry and 150 or more wet. Yes it is a very good idea to get a high flow fuel pump regardless (like a walbro) because you definetely do not want to go lean with nos.... Did you know nos is not flamable by itself? It is a dry mist. Leaks are not a danger, different story when mixed with gas...Nos is much safer then gasoline believe it or not.....

With all due respect Lowboost, I really would like to know why you think being a red light racer using nos would cause harm to the IUZ's. You mention that in a earlier post, just curious as to your reasoning for that statement? I am only a redlight racer and from my experience and understanding is that the Iuz's are one of if not the best engines to use nos on, compared to all others. Reason being is Nos is stressful on the internal engine parts and reportedly does cause faster damage or failure to smaller engines and the 4 cylinders especially. Nos will even wear out larger American engines quicker. I can say when the nos is activated this is not a gradual increase in horsepower like accelerating normaly either with a supercharger or turbo, this is instand power and does cause abnormal or excessive stress on internal engine parts. However the design on the Iuz is ideal for nos and can handle the stress just fine and this is coming from nos pro's with years of experience...This is what I have been told.

No No NO!!!! I didnt mean any disrespect, and I dont think your harming your motor, I have experienced nitrous on 4 bangers only, I had a friend with a 4.6 mustang that sprayed 150 shot dry all day long with no problems at all even for over a year now! What statement did I make to offend you?

... Reading the rest of your above post is correct, the 1uz is great with nos, the parts wear out on a wet shot just as quick depending on how often or how big the spray is. I've done my fair share of street racing, from 45 mph to 145mph and I sprayed the entire time even in 5th LOL.

My conclusion, I have a 1uzfe, I have a nitrous kit (wet shot) from my previous car, and I know the effects of nitrous, my biggest fear is not blowing my motor, but leaving my bottle on and blowing up my car or having an explosion in a wreck. So who ever reads this please turn off your bottle heater! and have a gauge!

Hope this cleared it up,
Jeff

Also jibby, with your experience with NOS on a 1uz, do you think I could spray 150shot wet and the motor hold together ok?

Also I see your Throttle body in the top picture, where you deleted the traction control butterfly, who did that for you? I am interested in having that done to mine. Plus you wouldnt want to spray with that traction control butterfly there either would you!

Jeff