Newbie Help

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Reco2k

Hi all,

after looking through loads of threads on here I have got lots of great info from you guys and am firmly set on the engine I want for my project. I have an Mazda RX7 FD shape that I got as a rolling shell and plan to put a 1UZ-FE engine into it.
Now I want to stay N/A for the time being and as my next door neighbour is a Lexus mechanic rebuilding the engine is not an issue, what I wanted to know is before I buy an engine should I spend less on a non VVTi engine and build that up or spend the extra £150-£200 on a VVTI engine and use that as my base?

Once that is decided apart from the obvious of custom exhaust, ITB's, ECU remap and forged internals how easily could I get 400-450Bhp (flywheel) and what would be the best way of doing it?

Apologies if these questions have been asked before but being from the UK this engine isn't highly supported so find it difficult to get concrete info on what is need.

Also does anyone know what the standard internals are rated to in terms of power? Bearings, Pistons, Head etc

many thanks

If you plan on staying N/A, then the VVTI can make more power to reach 400-450 bhp. Since the rule to make N/A power is to have big displacement with high compression, you'll need to bore out the cylinders and use high compression pistons. Along with that you'll need to port/polish the heads, put on a complete exhaust system, ITBs, big injectors & fuel pump, EMS, and a really good tuning. 400 bhp is more reasonable/doable for this 4.0 L engine.

Most of us have FI on this 1UZ to make power, so it's kind of hard to tell for sure on the max potential of the N/A form.

Thanks for the advise, I have luckily got an offer I couldn't refuse on a VVTI engine, low mileage and will be turning up next week, I'm looking to rebuild it so it can hold upto 600-700Hp (looking to charge it next year) so what will I need to change to make it bullet proof?

thanks for all your help

600-700 bhp on a RX7 V8 will make it fly. LOL.

You'll need to plan from now as either for big N/A power or F/I. The big N/A setup shouldn't be boosted with F/I. For example, if you go big N/A, then you'll need high compression pistons. And then if you boost with high compression pistons, then it'll detonate the engine. We shouldn't go into details before a decision is made.

I think eventually I will go FI, I want to run it for about a year to get used to it at about 400bhp N/A then will charge it once I have saved up so don't really want to up the compression too much, will be running it on 99Ron fuel and will be running a link G4 extreme ECU any advice would be great :)

I wouldn't go any lower than 9 to1 with forced induction on a pentroof engine..
Good power can still be made N/A especially with std cams..
With good ECU, fuel delivery and tune ...
Head gasket thickness can change compression if you want to go
to the trouble..

Well I was thinking, that a head port, metal head gaskets, bigger injectos, individual throttle bodies and a decent exhaust system, will that see me to 400Hp at the fly with a decent tune?

Throwing in a set of cams with a good tune may yield probably 20-30 hp more. Kind of hard to say at 400 hp since it's 150 hp over stock. I'd say 350 hp makes more sense.