New LS400 Owner ('96)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

V883

Hi again.

You may remember me from such cars as the Supercharged 1UZ Cressida that I was battling. Well, that car's in the shed now (for sale or conversion to a circuit car) and I am now the proud owner of a (way too high and way too quiet) one owner with full Lexus service history and 180k 1996 LS400 . It's dark grey with a grey interior (no creams for me) I feel special. Almost bought a black one but it was too expensive. This is a great car and comes with all the books and full trunk (boot) equipment except the little torch. None of the bottles have been opened, I've got my little Lexus towel and the gloves have never been used.

So, what is the first thing to do this fine automobile? There is so much to do. Muffler delete, intake mods or should I just chuck the blower on this one at 4 or 5 PSI? I need to have it lowered and some stylish wheels and tyres. I want to turn this into a Luxury Sports (LS?) sedan. It's got to look good, sit right, have more power and sound much better - not as loud as the Cressida but I still want to hear the V8. I wonder if the extractors will fit?

I have some problems with it though (in order to make it flawless). The door lock switch (in front of the power window switch) on the passenger side front is loose and seems broken and the radio doesn't light up at night (very upsetting) and a few of the segments from the digits are missing (mostly on the the song timer counter). Is it possible to replace these stereos? They seem very "built in". If so, I have an excellent one in the Cressida

Anyway, that's all for now I'll send some pics (not much to see - a stock 96 Ls400 once I get it home (I'm writing this from my motel room on my drive back from Sydney) but I couldn't wait. The first thing I had to do was run and tell Lextreme (as a collective). Thanks for reading. I look forward to many discussions on how to turn this cool car into a super sedan the likes of which I have become accustomed.

Congrats! I had a 1990 LS400 and now a 1995 LS400. The newer model felt alot more power then the older model. In the USA the 1995 to 1997 has the same upgrades.

Hi again.

You may remember me from such cars as the Supercharged 1UZ Cressida that I was battling. Well, that car's in the shed now (for sale or conversion to a circuit car) and I am now the proud owner of a (way too high and way too quiet) one owner with full Lexus service history and 180k 1996 LS400 . It's dark grey with a grey interior (no creams for me) I feel special. Almost bought a black one but it was too expensive. This is a great car and comes with all the books and full trunk (boot) equipment except the little torch. None of the bottles have been opened, I've got my little Lexus towel and the gloves have never been used.

So, what is the first thing to do this fine automobile? There is so much to do. Muffler delete, intake mods or should I just chuck the blower on this one at 4 or 5 PSI? I need to have it lowered and some stylish wheels and tyres. I want to turn this into a Luxury Sports (LS?) sedan. It's got to look good, sit right, have more power and sound much better - not as loud as the Cressida but I still want to hear the V8. I wonder if the extractors will fit?

I have some problems with it though (in order to make it flawless). The door lock switch (in front of the power window switch) on the passenger side front is loose and seems broken and the radio doesn't light up at night (very upsetting) and a few of the segments from the digits are missing (mostly on the the song timer counter). Is it possible to replace these stereos? They seem very "built in". If so, I have an excellent one in the Cressida

Anyway, that's all for now I'll send some pics (not much to see - a stock 96 Ls400 once I get it home (I'm writing this from my motel room on my drive back from Sydney) but I couldn't wait. The first thing I had to do was run and tell Lextreme (as a collective). Thanks for reading. I look forward to many discussions on how to turn this cool car into a super sedan the likes of which I have become accustomed.

Bill, congrats on the LS400. I had a 96 before my 99. What is the problem with the Cressida? So much work and it seemed like a great project.

Anyway, remember the 95+ engines have the weaker connecting rods, weaker pistons, higher compression, lightened crankshaft and interferrence design. Doesn't your Cressida have a Bullit 1UZFE? I would install THAT engine!! I too hope your extractors will fit. Those are very nice work.

Hi Lex & JB. One of my first actions was to post here. I haven't even got it home yet! I'm posting on the journey home (Sydney --> Adelaide via Canberra). As I'm writing this I am in Hay which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by the magnificent Hay Plains which has (slightly bumpy) magnificent straight sections that go for miles and miles. I love the open road.

If I don't get a good enough offer for the entire Cressida I'll dismantle the "Bullet-style" motor (bullet's engine failed - this is a new one based on the same specs and heads...etc) and throw the blower on with low boost (4-5psi?) just for a nice 'pick-me-up'. I am really enjoying this engine for being a hassle free stock smooth as silk - super quiet engineering feet that it is. I've never had a chance to enjoy the 1UZ in all it's finery and magnificence. My intro was the Cressida with it's modified arrangement.

I have never been in such a quiet car before - it's almost eerie. Thank goodness I have my heavy music to keep me awake (Foo fighters "Pretender" is getting a great workout!). But these cars are truly a work of art. This is the newest and most luxurious car I've owned to now and I want to enjoy it's silkyness for a short while before "we" get to work on it.

My plans for the car are...
1) Uprated and slightly lowered suspension (I'm about to embark on a couple of laps around Australia visiting people who bought my DVDs - long story) and I'll be doing tens of thousands of miles so I'll need firmer suspension but not rock hard circuit style (like the Cressida). I need to tune a suspension system so that I still maintain most of the amazing ride plus stay firm when it gets taken into a corner at speed. I had a few wide eye moments yesterday (used to the Cressida I suppose) but I will do it right with plenty of input from all you guys - Bilstein, Koni? Variable rate springs?

2) Your (JB's) intake mod for some fresh air and that extra 10HP - I've already started looking for a filter cover to modify - I have Dremel at home.

3) Stereo: A few of my digits are missing some segments and there are no stereo lights at night. I'm wondering what fits in that space or (I'm reasonably happy with the sound so maybe just a new head unit (I'm bracing for the cost) or repair just to keep it stock appearing. I could really do with an MP3 player so some mods or a dongle might be the go. I can use the cassette to take an adapter but it looks messy and my cigarette lighter already has a double adapter on it for my GPS and phone charger so I'l looking for a better solution. Open to suggestions but I haven't finished going back over every post with the eyes of a '96 LS400 owner. It'll be fun I'm sure.

4) Engine needs a boost: From what I can remember, I can boost this engine a bit without needing to modify the computer. In the Cressida I had Autronic ECU but I'm starting from stock with this car. The car is pretty good as it sits right now (I'm over the massive power requirments I lusted over earlier preferring the relaxation of a factory install for now). I'm on a "subtle" buzz with this car.

5) Wheels: Many wheels out there to choose from but I want to add class not WOW appeal. I'm thinking about some stylish factory alloys maybe from new model to keep it all in the family. Tyres will be need to be at 60 series as I'm not into "rubber bands" as a look and if I go with too short a tyrewall I fear that firstly it will not look good (I like to see some tyre) and second of all it will leave my wheel wells looking empty.

Apart from that, I'm a happy chappy having picked up what feels like a brand new car for one tenth the new price. Very happy at the moment.

Thanks for all your support. I'm open to suggestions of threads I should read to catch up (saves people typing everything again) and being a stock 96 there's no need to post pics but a nice suprise is that I thought I was buying a grey car with grey interior but from the colour name there is some green in it which looks great and is a nice surprise (not into beige or cream interiors at all).

Nice car !....looks exactly like my 96 Ls400 ! :cool2:
Very comfortable but lacks powerrrrrr.....very interested in seeing what mods you gonna do........

Attachments

• IMG_0701 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0701 (Large).jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0703 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0703 (Large).jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 8
Nice 400 there Bill. Looks like the same color as my 96 was, called Quartz in the USDM.

Not sure if the programming is the same but on my 96 I would often cruise at 70mph. Full throttle then causes a 2 gear drop down to 2nd and it would hit 5000+rpm for a couple seconds before shifting to 3rd. Gave a better snap than my 99 at 70mph due to the 99 having different ratios and drop down points. Try the 70mph and let me know if yours does the above.

Already did. I bought the car in Sydney which is about 1000 miles from where I live. At about the speed you mention if floored from high third it will drop back down to second, flash to 6,000rpm then change. It makes for quite effective overtaking.

I'm trying to find a air cleaner cover to do your mod at the moment.

I have a slight wind noise coming from around the door somewhere which they are going to have a look at.

I'm looking for a set of springs that will lower the car about an inch and some quality shock or strut inserts to improve the handling. Any suggestions? I've also heard that nolathane (hard rubber) bushes around the sway bars helps a lot. I'm after only mods that improve the car's performance.

I've spotted these wheels on ebay - will they fit?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220216551301&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

Looking for a radio to replace mine as the repair option is insane and takes too long (4 weeks in some cases) and has to go to Sydney. I'm heading off for an around Australia trip (using back roads wherever possible) so I can't be without my music.

Speaking of music, I also want to introduce some V8 rumble - muffled, classy but definitely present is the approach I'm after with this car. I want to hear it occasionally when I take off and definitely when I overtake.

The colour according to the owner's manual is called "Moss Quartz Mica Metallic". The interior is called "Agate". Both agate and moss are greens so instead of buying what I thought was going to be just a dark grey car with grey interior I got one with green tinges and overtones. With the green glass tint it makes a nice combo which I am very pleased with. Not very often you get more than you ordered but in this case I am glad I bought this car - very glad.

I also want to improve the lighting drastically. Anyone with any suggestions? I like HID but not sure what type of bulbs come standard. For all I know all I need is a light alignment. I've seen some very bright lights advertised and would like to upgrade my lighting to give more on low beam and much more on high beam. I like a lot of light on the ground before me. I've suffered from poor lighting for ever in ever car so this time I want this car to be perfect for me.

I'm also (of course) considering putting a small puff into it using the blower and all brackets I already have for the Cressida. Can someone refresh my memory please? How much can I "waft" into the intake (psi) without causing any dramas at all? 3 or 4 or 5 psi. I'd be happy with 3 or 4 with this compression (10.4:1) and the thinner rods. I'm aiming for a noticeable boost but nothing that would detract from the reliability in any way.

All help, suggestions and links appreciated.

For some nice wheels, look here:

www.rbwheels.com

My LS400:
(need to lower the car and also better wheels, but the car is now "under construction", built 1UZ with T88-34d, BL auto etc etc....)

2005084631972348004_fs.jpg

Love simple photoshop lowering so I thought I'd give you a taste of what your car might look like with a bit of lowering and a nice set of (randomly chosen) wheels.

lexus-wheels-mod.jpg

P.S. [off topic] I think car guys would make excellent options traders because they have specific goals (e.g. wheels, suspension, stereo, engine mods...etc). The main problem with options trading is that people let profits turn into losses. If you are only after small specific profits (like a car folk do) then it's a fantastic way to earn quick fast cash. Made $3700 on Friday using $17k - I'm sure you could all think of many purchases that you could make with $3k. But I don't want to turn this into a business thread. Contact me through the website for further queries. I will treat any Lextremers with special interest.

:laughing: .....mate, please photoshop as many wheel setups as want !....that gives my many new ideas which wheels to choose when my car is finished !!! :biggthumpup:
(Damn, i wish my car was finished and could get wheels like you shop'd !)

....Actually, i have decided to continue with the 1UZ LS, but selling the GS300 (Aristo) because this car isn't made for high speeding (i live close to the German Autobahn) and certainly can't handle the 4 digit HP we are targetting with the 3UZ...we will now probably look for a 4WD Nissan Skyline !

The '96 LS is a much better constructed car !!!...always reminds me of a Mercedes but waaaayyyy cooler...
ETA of the boosted 1UZ LS: 2-3 months from now....

Keep us informed. If you see any wheels you want photoshoped on let me know and I'll be glad to oblige.

anyone know the differences between '95 & '96 LS400?

Congrats! I had a 1990 LS400 and now a 1995 LS400. The newer model felt alot more power then the older model. In the USA the 1995 to 1997 has the same upgrades.

I'm having a devil of the time trying to get the '95 oem LS 400 repair manuals, however I may be able to get the '96 manual, are there any significant differences between the '95 & '96 models? Thanks.

LS400GUY

I'm having a devil of the time trying to get the '95 oem LS 400 repair manuals, however I may be able to get the '96 manual, are there any significant differences between the '95 & '96 models? Thanks.

LS400GUY

Should be identical.

Thought yours was a 96?

Attachments

• The-Fish 002.jpg
    The-Fish 002.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 91
  • The-Fish 003.jpg
    The-Fish 003.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 91
  • The-Fish 004.jpg
    The-Fish 004.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 90
Should be identical.

Thought yours was a 96?

J.B.,

thanks for the info. I have a '95 LS (love it!), my wife has a '98 LS. Amazing, both cars had significant tech upgrades from the previous model years, it wasn't planned that way but we're happy just the same. Cheers.

LS400GUY

Bill,

what make/type are the wheels you used...they look kinda good ! :arms:...please tell me where I can find them....

Maybe 5 spoke black/grey wheels would look good too...what do you think ?