Finally running (sort of)!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
What better than an off road buggy with a blown 1UZ in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I have! (kinda)

Cept it can still seat 5, take me camping, hunting, to work, off and on road fun..... Ultimate all round vehicle I reckon (once it's flaws are sorted.)

I can now run the bogans in their SS's for fun, or do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSooXqhodts

Camera doesn't do it justice, that bottom ledge is taller than just about everyone here's car! And that's not even what we'd call an A grade track hehe...

sorry to say the 1uz is givving me problems regarding getting it approved road legal.

grtz Thomas

Again sorry for the thread hijack .

Thomas,

What problems are you experiencing with getting the 1UZ legal in Holland?

Would it be easier to get the car tested in the UK and simply import a finished, SVA/IVA tested and approved car back to the Netherlands?

Cheers,

Tony

The engine is now out of the truck and we'll start pulling it down on Monday.

Clearly it has a blown head gasket (at least) as the cooling system was still under pressure 8 days after it last ran.

Depending on the condition of the bores and pistons I'll give it rings, bearings and gaskets and see how it goes.

I'll keep you posted as it is dismantled.

Thanks to John Cribb & David (Lextreme) for goading me into removing the engine as I was tempted to leave it lie.

How's a 15 hour engine removal sound. One very tight fit in the engine bay with little room to work around it.

I actually expect it to go back in easier than it came out

Detonation.

A combination of a lot of errors.

The broken cam drive clearly didn't help it. The poor thing was detonating at idle!

Then we got we got it going and it blew the ECU MAP line off. More det.

The supercharger appears to be leaking oil into the rotors so it has a thick oil film in the manifold, and all over the rotors. This reduces octane rating and adds to detonation.

I have no idea how it went at the tuners, as the tune it had in it was for a N/A engine when we understood it to be for a supercharged engine.

Followed by a bad batch of fuel.

If we'd tried we couldn't have given it a harder time.

Oh well maybe the next engine will last 1,00km or 600miles!

But wait. It was awfull fast!!!

Next version will be fully intercooled and run water spray bars and chase more horsepower.

Maybe not quite so much boost this time.

Glad your back in the saddle.

You can test the coolant to see if it had a blown head gasket the same is true of the oil it's easy to see which way things were going.

I suspect all you will need is a couple of head gaskets and spank it on the ass and drop it back in.

Just saw your post, the tuner should have his nuts put in a vice for running a NA tune, the timing would have been way too advanced.

Ahh hindsight if only.

Nothing beats a good tuner !! Hope it's just a freshen up..
It takes some pressure to blow Cometic head gaskets !!
Unless heads lifted ??
What where the plugs like ?

Yavuz is doing the tune.

He IS NOT the man who put in the N/A tune.

Once its reassembled I'll give it a short run then park until Yavuz can fit me in.

I plan on running the same boost.

Nothing beats a good tuner !! Hope it's just a freshen up..
It takes some pressure to blow Cometic head gaskets !!
Unless heads lifted ??
What where the plugs like ?

Reading above .. I don't mean Yuvus didn't tune it right.. Far from it!!
Meaning a good tune is so very critical from the start...
I would seriously consider lower boost for the first 600 / 1000 kmlrs till rings have bedded in...Or some sort of bypass control ??...
Not meaning to critical.. Just hate seeing good engines wasted !!!
Rod you've put "a lot" into this .. I know your pain !!!

So a set of gaskets etc for mothers day ha ?? Lol...

Axtually I'm looking at running it without the supercharger belt for a few hundred K's.

That will make a low comp engine and the tune can handle it easily.

I agree Yavuz IS the man for good tunes in Sydney.

We pulled the heads today and no1 cylinder has failed.

There are no signs of detonation and the gaskets are in geat shape.

What there is, is a clean segment on the intake side of the head gasket around 20mm long between the cylinder and water jacket where water has been moving accross.

I suspect either the head lifted (but why such a small amount and not the whole head or even just 1 cylinder) or the deck wasn't machined when the engine was built and there is a small deformity there or a spot of corrosion that has failed.

I'm taking the engine to an independant engineer tomorrow to ascertain what he feels went wrong.

Once I know the problem I'll either lean on the guy who built it or throw more money at it.

I also noticed you can rock the pistons noticably when at TDC which is in keeping with the rattle it has when cold. I suspect there was too much clearance allowed with the new pistons. This is either a new block or a new set of oversize pistons.

We did notice it had bad carbon build up which is in keeping with the oil residue all the way through the inlet tract. The PCV isn't connected to the inlet so it isn't engine oil.

All we can assume is the supercharger is leaking past the seals and the oil is being sucked into it under vacuum. I had noticed oil being thrown out the breather on the supercharger's snout so this would be the result of boost.

Tomorrow should tell me where we stand.

The piston clearances may be fine, depending on brand Rod so don't stress that one just yet.

The SC oil is a weird one, unless a simple seal failure?...are you running a bypass?

HG sounds like an assembly issue fromsuch a 'clean' leak??

Justen,

The engine rattles when cold but smoothes out when warm.

The supercharger is most likely a seal failure so I'll pull it down and see what I find.

I'll post a photo of the gasket tomorrow.