clearance issues. HELP!!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cav079

Hi Guys,
I am fitting a 1uz to my 91 hilux 2x4 and the alternator is fowling on the steering box. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you overcome it?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Phill......

Hi Cav079,
quite a few hilux conversions have faced this problem, and it can usually be solved one of two ways:

The first is to make a stand off that spaces the steering box out from the chassis rail by about 10mm. The second only works if you aren't running the AC compressor, and that is to relocate the alternator to the other side. Here's a pic of what i fabricated up a few years back (hope the attachment works):
http://lextreme.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3820&d=1149195580

hope that helps

Muzz

Thanks mate that would great. if you still have the dimensions of the block as well that would be a great help.

it should bolt straigh tin

just remove the shield on the alternator then grind down the small lumps on side of alternator

i have a 92 hilux and everything was easy since i bought a castlemaine sump

i have power steering box which is wider than non power steer and still fits in straight

just throw the sway bar out if yr goin auto and get a 2003 sway bar

i ran no spacer no cheating

crown auto box bolted to factory spots on gbox xmember

then i made engine mounts which bolted to engine then to facotry 22r hilux rubber mounts which then bolted to factory hilux chassis

only took me 2 hours to fabricate if u have tools and knowhow

run the alternator wiring thru the engine covers so u dont have them running across front of radiator make it much nicer

and ecu wiring run thru factory wiper motor grommet

rest is history

this only works on a crown 1uz

other 1uzs have bigger exhaust headers

one more thing there are 2 types of alternators

small and bit bigger

my small one died one day and i fitted bigger one and still had no issues