Battery Relocation

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi!
That could be ok but remember every splice or join is more resitance. Make sure the old cable and joints are good. Earth engine block and batt directly to body but once again use same size cable and make sure joints are good. Keep earth cables as short as you can.
Hope this helps.

Hey, thanks hiluxfan.

That brings up a few questions about the earth cables. I was going to ground in the trunk as close as possible to the battery, with a tee off that spot and a wire running up to the block. Figured electricity would take the easiest route, but is that unnecessary?

Thanks.

ahhh yes :D

just the one from the batt to body and engine to body just give the metal where you bolt it to the body a good cleah so you have nice bright metal ( no primer) and recoat it when done
neil

Yes you should not have to run an extra earth wire. Just make sure you bolt it to nice chunk of metal on the body. (Not a 0.5mm plate) I always put a bit of copper compound on the bare metal before bolting it up. This prevents corrosion in future.

never run a breaker on the main battery wire
new cars dont have them
like someone said use 35mm2 minimum or over here in autralia its called 2 b & s
its rated at over 200 amps maybe even 250
i have 4 b & s and i use that for most alternators and never on battery cable

with the 2bs wire i have run it from trunk to motor many many times and never have issues
i have also used thicker cable but only on a diesel and prob never use it again

even earth straps use same cable and it doesnt really have to be short as possible if u use
the correct sized wire i mainly use short earth straps for neatness
never had issues on over 100 cars done with battery in boot
i also use proper crimp terminals and proper crimping pliers

so since some people do this job and dont have the correct tools this can sometimes cause issues also make sure no paint it on engine as i have had motors and gboxes painted
and this caused bad earth between starter and motor or gbox
use correct wire and u only need one positive cable and one ground for motor and one for battery and u dont have to fk around with breakers or amplifiers
just remember anything added on is a dodgey fix and down the track any extra parts
or extra joins or shit thats not done right can fail and u wil be shitty
do it right and do it once heheheeehh

Ok let me verify sideshow did you just say not to use a fuse or circuit breaker on a battery relocation?

If that's what you said PLEASE change that, a 200amp circuit breaker within 24" of the battery on the main battery cable is a definite MUST. I've seen a couple freak of natures where something metal grounded between starter primary cable and block and burned the whole car down.

On my celica I have a circuit breaker in the trunk with the battery and another in the engine bay acting as a junction block

name me one factory car that has a breaker on starter cable
not many because they would blow the fuse once the starter
got old and slow
anyway only reason u need a breaker is if your going to do a shit
job and not support and protect the cable properly
anyway fitting a breaker is good protection
but like u said it was a freak of nature
and there is a million things on a car that can fail and burn it down
like fuel lines but u don't see stops on them
also on race and rally cars u can't afford the circuit breaker
to fail which is way mor common for a circuit braked to fail
than car to catch on fire
but if anyone is worried fit one and keep a spare cause they will
fail in a year or so in a normal everyday car

Finally have some pics, here is what I've done so far.

Cable ran under car
IMGP2981.jpg

Up under rear carrier
IMGP2982.jpg

Tight fit around sway bar
IMGP2983.jpg

Into trunk with battery box
IMGP2985.jpg

This is the fuse I was going to use - 150Amp, but there seems to be a debate here if it is needed.
IMGP2989.jpg

Tell what ya think! Or if my car will burn down.

Looks good, Sideshow is right and in a perfect world you'll never need the fuse but that one a in a million where an intake manifold nut/bolt a previous mechanic dropped down beside the starter that grounds out between the +ve terminal and the engine block, when it suddenly decides to dead short you'll be glad you put that fuse there instead of standing on the side of the road watching it burn to the ground.

Finally have some pics, here is what I've done so far.

Cable ran under car
IMGP2981.jpg

Up under rear carrier
IMGP2982.jpg

Tight fit around sway bar
IMGP2983.jpg

Into trunk with battery box
IMGP2985.jpg

This is the fuse I was going to use - 150Amp, but there seems to be a debate here if it is needed.
IMGP2989.jpg

Tell what ya think! Or if my car will burn down.

fking iPhone is annoying heheh
just don't use a resetable circuit breaker
as they fail in afew years

Breaker / Fuse Location

I have already relocated my battery in my 1UZ Hilux and it is working perfect. I just got a 150amp breaker to install. I would just like to clarfy where in the circuit is the best place to locate it?

Sideshow says do not put it on the main battery wire, if so, then where should it be installed?

i said dont use the breakers because the fk up after awhile
but if u do want to run one then close to batt pos terminal

Lightweight battery

The battery in my '98 LS weighed 24kg (55lb) and I considered relocating it to the boot. After much thought, I ended up replacing the stock battery with an Odyssey PC680 5kg (11lb) $250... So i got rid of 19kg (41lb) of ballast from the front left wheel. The Odyssey whilst very small, turns the starter faster than the standard battery.

There's the SuperMiniBattery that has just come out for jump starting. It weighs 4kg and packs a wopping 1200 cranking amps... Their $250 on eBay.

Attachments

• batt 002.jpg
    batt 002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 4
  • batt 004.jpg
    batt 004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 4
  • SuperMiniBooster.jpg
    SuperMiniBooster.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 6
Looks good. I cancelled my relocation for the same reason, but I have'nt been able to find any racing batteries up here in Canada town. No thanks to terrorists, summit racing couldnt ship my braille battery across the border

With my battery relocation top the boot, I'm looking at using 2ga cable to the alternator, with a separate 4ga wire to the fuses etc in the cabin, and leaving the starter cable as it was, coming off the alternator. I wonder if the Odyssey PC680 would be up to the task given the extra cable length?

Odyssey PC680

Why would you put a PC680 in the boot ? But if there is a reason i guess it would be fine... just use the biggest cables you can get hold of... or that you can afford ! If it were me, i would use 1 guage heavier than what 'they' say you should use....