6 speed Getrag swap into a supercharged 97 SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Thats a huge effort!

I remember people saying I would need a new tunnel when I did my manual conversion, turns out I didnt when I test fitted it, I would have hated to have to put a new tunnel in! Well done...

Update on drivability, with the extra diff mount in its a lot better off the line...

Thats a huge effort!

I remember people saying I would need a new tunnel when I did my manual conversion, turns out I didnt when I test fitted it, I would have hated to have to put a new tunnel in! Well done...

Update on drivability, with the extra diff mount in its a lot better off the line...

Still pretty grabby, or is it getting slippable?

Scott, that work looks just like what a Supra mate had to do with his A/T car when he put in the Getrag. I was just looking for a link to his writeup, but am not able to find it ATM.

More Progress today!
Decided to tackle the clutch pedal. I know others have done it but all i have to say is Damn! That is a paint to put in. Prepare to bend and flex in ways you never knew possible. Here are som pictures.
When you get everything unbolted and out of the way this is what you see. See the oval knock out? Thats where its going.
DSCF0769.jpg
Under the mat there is some circles, These are not knock outs but at least they let you know wher it is mounting.
DSCF0771.jpg

I used a hole saw for the 1 1/4" hole and a drill for the smaller ones.
It looks like this when you are done drilling.
DSCF0773.jpg
Here it is in engine bay.
DSCF0772.jpg

After learning several new words the pedal assembly is in. Note The brake pedal was swaped to and thats no fun to get to either.
DSCF0775.jpg
One of the electronics boxes had to be relocated.
DSCF0776.jpg
DSCF0777.jpg

Now that all that fun is done its back to the transmission.
The input shaft pilot bearing presses in the crank shaft but it is a very narrow bearing. I am concernd about keeping it in the optimal position, if it were to work to far forward in the bore it would no longer support the shaft. I decided to machine a spacer to hold it in the exact spot it needs to be.
DSCF0765.jpg
DSCF0764.jpg
Here is the spacer
DSCF0766.jpg
Here the spacer is in the crank
DSCF0767.jpg

Next up is the starter, remember me saying the starter gear will hit the transmssion? We I did some measuring to see what kind of clearancing I needed to do and here is what I did to fix it. Its not to bad but if you dont do this you will have big trouble.
Here is the stock Bell housing.
DSCF0756.jpg
Here is what I had to take out.
DSCF0758.jpg
DSCF0759.jpg

Also i dont like the way there is a gap open to the clutch right on top that water can run in. I decided to make a cover.

Here is the gap
DSCF0760.jpg

Here is my cover.
DSCF0761.jpg
Bolted on
DSCF0762.jpg
DSCF0763.jpg

Looking good, when do you expect to have it done and running?

Well, I am shooting for mid to late Feb. The actual transmision part should be done in a couple weeks but I am doing a bunch of other modifications at the same time. I cant wait to be shifting gears!:)

After learning several new words the pedal assembly is in. Note The brake pedal was swaped to and thats no fun to get to either.

Scott, just a heads up about a problem we sometimes encounter with the Supras and heavy clutches. The clutch pedal bracket for the Supra is only spotwelded to the firewall, and with the addition of a heavier clutch, and "spirited" use, it can break off. Some have drilled through the bracket and bolted it through the firewall (as you have done with your install), and have added a doubler plate to keep it even more rigid, as the firewall is not that thick.

If you're already there, and it's torn down, you might want to think about the doubler plate, rather than have to tackle that mess again in the future.

p.s. great idea about that pilot bearing spacer!

Looking good Scott. Putting a lot of hard work into the car making it very unique indeed. It is nice to see one of the first sc400 6sp.

That pedal is a pain in the butt... also that (what i believe to be) steering wheel tilt computer thing will now not have a home, duct tape right? Also, when i put my tranny on the engine i never noticed there being a gap there where the starter comes forward, wish i wasn't 400 miles away so i could check it out!

always moving forward, i love it! keep it up Scott and the best of luck! When this is all done, i might need to road trip to KC and meet you there or something, my friends want me to go there anyway sometime so now i just have another reason to go!

OK, Last mod to the adaptor ring. I dont like how there is nothing holding the rings together for the upper half. You can see them want to seperate if you use bolts to long so I decided to fix it. Couple more holes and some countersunk bolts and its all fixed up.
DSCF0786.jpg