6 speed Getrag swap into a supercharged 97 SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Scott, nice work on that new tranny crossmember!

I assume that OEM crossmember in the pics is the one that came with the 6spd you bought?

Was it the thickness of the UZ to Getrag adaptor plate that caused the tranny to shift rearward by that amount?

Did the shifter pop up further to the rear than you were expecting?

Guess the next thing is a shortened driveshaft?

Scott, nice work on that new tranny crossmember!

I assume that OEM crossmember in the pics is the one that came with the 6spd you bought?

Was it the thickness of the UZ to Getrag adaptor plate that caused the tranny to shift rearward by that amount?

Did the shifter pop up further to the rear than you were expecting?

Guess the next thing is a shortened driveshaft?

The OEM crossmember is my factory SC400 one. If not for the adaptor plate it would have lined up perfect. Actually it was 5/8" off and the adaptor is 3/4. I would say that is what cuased it to not line up.

Its really funny. I cut the tunnel and installed the top tunnel part from a supra. It is located by 3 things, 1 - the cutout line, 2 - the factory E-brake holes, 3 - the front threaded holes that mount the airbag ecu. I lined all those up and the the shifter hit dead center in the cutout. What is unknown is where it will come thru my stock console, I'll be checking that out tommorow.

The drive shaft looks like the TT front portion is the right length, the rear of the TT shaft is 5 3/8" to short. I will send it off to get modified.

Interesting - I didn't realise that was the original A/T crossmember you were trying to use.

When we do 5spd to 6spd or A/T to 6spd swaps in the Supra, we always use the 6spd tranny crossmember. Wonder if one of those would have bolted right in for you?

Interesting - I didn't realise that was the original A/T crossmember you were trying to use.

When we do 5spd to 6spd or A/T to 6spd swaps in the Supra, we always use the 6spd tranny crossmember. Wonder if one of those would have bolted right in for you?

Thats a good question, that sure would have been easier. wonder if anyone has a picture of one so I could compare.

My blue car started out life as a 5spd with the GE motor and it now has the full GTE and 6spd with the big diff, etc. I thought I kept some photos of the crossmembers but can't locate them.

Here's a link to a photo showing the Supra A/T xmember (top) and the 6spd (bottom):

DSC04125.jpg

According to my friend MohdH who wrote this article, he says the opposite of what I just said - that the 6spd cross member won't work in the A/T bodied Supra. Hmmm...... Mohd is one of the most knowledgeable guys around for the MKIV Supra, so I'm sure that's not a misprint.

But I also know that when my 5spd car was done, we used the 6spd crossmember.

I'm sure you have it already ,but here's the link to the full article: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to_6spd_swap/index.html

I'd bet there's a few of those A/T crossmembers laying around the tuners' shops like BoostLogic, etc. if you wanted to give one a try. A number of guys have done 6spd swaps now. That or you might find one on SF.

Your custom one is sure purdy though.

The tranny adapter does not adjust the tranny forward or backward from its proper position, at least on a Supra chassis. If a 2JZ and V160 in a SC work with a v160 mount, then a 1UZ and V160 should also work in a SC with a V160 tranny mount.

umm...i got off the phone earlier today with Curt from Elmhurst Toyota. He sells parts on supraforums.com and provided the supraforums with the complete swap guide parts list and prices.

he stated to me that the automatic supra transmission crossmember works perfectly with the 6speed v160/161 transmission and does not sell customers that crossmemeber if they have an automatic transmission standard. he did say that the w58 crossmember is different though.

scotturnot, you're pretty damn sick with all your cnc skills

the spacing is different per each crossmember.

i just want us to all clarify exactly which is which, and which works.

so is this right?
automatic TURBO = manual TURBO = SC400. same crossmembers

is that a picture of a N/A automatic crossmember or a TURBO automatic crossmember for a supra?

Well, My SC400 crossmember looks like the lower one in cribbj's post. If that is a Supra manual one then thats what the SC400 comes with. The top one appears to be close to what would work, if that is a supra auto its worth a shot.