1UZFE BUILD THREAD

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Patrick1uz

COST CHART
  1. 1UZFE MOTOR 400$
  2. Crank Bearings 350$ shipped
  3. Crank Polish 90$
  4. Engine Bath 90$
  5. PVC 12$
  6. Powder Coat FREE :D

So I have noticed this forum pretty much died?
Not to sure what happened?

Little background on me, A Canadian that has been into cars since I was 10... always had a love for going fast and quick
Cars I have had were,
87 CJ-7 with a 350 monti block
94 eg civic with a b18
(multiple beaters)
a 1988 fox body punched out 306 around 500 horse

Well this build is starting like 3% into thew build aha.
year and a half ago I picked up a 92? sc400 for 300$ the guy was going to run it in a derby but I stopped it, thing had like 180xxxkm on it.

So I took the motor out scrapped most of the car and had the engine sit there on a stand till recently.

So I moved for work(temp for a year or 2), away from my shop and all my tools, but happen to have a small one car garage I can build my engine in.
On the plus side I am a military mechanic, so have any tools I need accessible to me.

So a question about the 1UZFE
Anyone have the link that shows the difference between all the internals ( RODS PISTONS CRANK ECT)

Heres just some starter pics
Hopefully I can update it a lot

2db5dw8.jpg
On the stand chilling
2db5dw8.jpg

11h40wi.jpg
Pistons out

2nvc6e9.jpg

nvr70l.jpg
Crank out

Last edited:
Patrick, welcome to Lextreme! Yes, the activity of the forum has died off, but a number of us are still here although we don't post much. Glad to hear you're going to start a build thread - the UZ's are great engines, but they're expensive to extract power from because they were largely ignored in the aftermarket. Most of the go fast parts come from Oz or NZ, although a few enterprising souls in the US still offer clutch kits, etc.

To answer a couple of your questions, the early engines had the strongest rods. Lexus economised a bit on the later ones. Cranks stayed the same AFAIK, and so did the cams until the VVTi engines came out.

Look forward to your build and ask away if you get stuck. We're a friendly bunch here and most of us would like to see the forum become more active.

I will post some small updates monday, long weekend here in canada, time to go see the woman

Well nothing done this weekend, due to it being a long weekend here in Canada; so it meant going to go see the wifey.

What I did manage to do was find my old powder coating equipment ! Time to do a test, I'll post some pics when I finish

I'm jealous you get to see your wife only on holidays.

I get to see mine every day!

Lmao nice when it comes to the build as shes not there to see the wallet empty ...
But other wise were basically best friends so it gets boring without her haha.

I was told it is expensive to build a 1uzfe, my goal is 500+hp; so I will keep a tab in the first comment to see how much it adds up to.

So ordered some parts
- Crank bearings
- PVC
Ummm yeah that is it haha.

I have the block going in tomorrow to the machine shop, give her a good cleaning, check the cylinders and the deck.
As well since the stock crank is forged; shes going for a cleaning and a polish, as well see for any cracks ect.

So for the mean time I started on the valve covers.

They were super dirty...
21mw0hv.jpg

So got to a algae bath and then sand blasted

2urv0ns.jpg
nnksj4.jpg
dv6mo.jpg
23wso6d.jpg
qx2mag.jpg

So once the covers were clean, gave the bolts and washers some attention
24gpwkl.jpg

cleaned
200uxj7.jpg

painted washers, came out pretty clean
a9uy3c.jpg

More in a few mins

Very nice!

Is this powder treatment available for a range of colours?
Subjected my cam covers to chrome treatment a few years back, looked nice 1 year, then the chrome started to get wrinkles and peel off.

Am not familar with powder treatment. Do you do it yourself or do you send the parts to some powder shop?
Expensive?

What did you do to nuts/bolts? Just thoroughly clean them or did you subject them to some sort of treatment beyond cleaning?

The powder treatment works for a range of materials?
Alloy, aluminium, stainless, cast iron? etc

361uz
Thanks. It will be slow cause work but will get there. Everything i can will be powdercoated! I do it all myself so its super cheap.
Ill post a pic later this week what its going into. Going to pick it up!

Very nice!

Is this powder treatment available for a range of colours?
Subjected my cam covers to chrome treatment a few years back, looked nice 1 year, then the chrome started to get wrinkles and peel off.

Am not familar with powder treatment. Do you do it yourself or do you send the parts to some powder shop?
Expensive?

What did you do to nuts/bolts? Just thoroughly clean them or did you subject them to some sort of treatment beyond cleaning?

The powder treatment works for a range of materials?
Alloy, aluminium, stainless, cast iron? etc

A massive selection of colors! from translucent to solids to chromes to dulls.
Was the chrome treatment just a dip style?

I do it all myself, the setup was pricier but doing all parts after is super cheap, I am not to sure what shops charge down in the states. here is canada its like 70-100$ a rim I think

The bolts I soaked in the bacteria wash we have at work, eats most grease off parts. I then just ran it through a wire wheel, did not coat them in anything as they go into my heads.
I redid the washers for shits and giggles as I ordered some new ones.
The heads of the bolts I might paint with a pen when they are installed, or leave them as the stainless color.

Powder works on most im pretty sure, I have done all sorts of parts in the past.
Aluminum heats quicker so have to watch the flow out procedure as you can burn powder
Rough metals you could pull off more coats to trey and smooth out any imperfections I think??

Just example of colors available

p16044-Copper-Penny.jpg

p15999-Extreme-Chrome-Bonded-Powder.jpg

11872-hotcoat-powder-blasted-steel.jpg

thanks for that info

yes dip-style chrome, with lax cleaning before dip I suspect¨

I will for sure ask around if people here know about this powder treatment.

Soo went and bought a spring comp to get the valves out
Not doing to much as my woman came to visit me, means less production! aha and lot of fishing lately; another hobby.
2vio3k7.jpg
dvrh5e.jpg

I have come to a conclusion something had to be running super rich or having an EGR SUCKS.
earlier I took the EGR apart and it was SUPER caked in carbon and deposits.
As well the valves, intake ports and exhaust ports are CRUSTED hard, I will be doing some port work once the heads are all cleaned up.
One head at a time tho!
Later will have to bench test them check the volume of each combustion chamber, see if I can buy a kit somewhere, princess auto?
fa0ryu.jpg

I have just had both cylinder heads off in order to change the oil seals on the valves.
I have 4 different valve tools, none of them even close to fit the 1UZ head/valves.
Took hours and hours to fix all 32 valves, the most time consuming bit was fitting the keepers after the seal was changed.

If you could be bothered I would be interested in seeing a pic of the tools you are using on your valves.

You have a cleaning job to do on the heads it appears. My heads, pistons and valves looked quite OK actually.