w58 in ls400, what a p.i.t.a

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Let me try again

Early Vss - 83181-50010 Listed for USDM until 08/92 but listed for some other markets for the whole range of UCF10. Seems pretty much lexus only

Later Vss - 83181-24040 Listed for a wider range and also seems to be used in some models back until 1989.

The early sensors I tested today are JDM and 4 pulse per RPM. There is also a later auto at the back of the shop with a VSS in it. I didnt test that one.

Funny enough after playing with sensors this morning I had to sort out a suitable sensor for a conversion in the shop. I ended up fitting an Isuzu one as the toyota ones had the plug going the wrong way and I didnt like the look of it. No issues with pulse count as it is having an aftermarket ECU which I use as an signal modifier. Will have to modifiy the signal into two different outputs to run the trans controller and the speedo.

Here a little up date on the conversion.

Ended up getting a 93 cluster, rewiring and using a marlin crawler screw on speed sensor. Also changed out the cnc 3/4 clutch master for a Tilton 1 inch master , the feel is much nicer and has decent adjustment. so any one that is going to use a t56 throw out bearing should use at lest a 7/8 to 1 inch master. I also didn't like the stock final drive gear ratio with the w58, so I changed the diff to a 98 gs400, 3.26 ratio, I cut the front mounting points off a 93 gs300 rear cross member and welded it to the ls400 cross member and used the stock ls rear diff cover.

And one thinking about doing a stick conversion on a ls400 should think about a diff swap as the three mounting points on the stock diff aren't enough, the diff flops around too much and makes it feel like clutch chatter.

make sure you have a camera under the car when you do the "2-step" launch with the M90 and W58!

I make sure not to buy to good of tires any more , I have had pretty good luck with w58's tho , only had one send gears flying and that was from having bad bearings and the main and counter shaft seperated. It was also in a car with 315/35/17 drag radials, a twin disc and a 67mm turbo.

But for the amount of work that went into this I wish I would have spent the extra cash up front and did the 350z 6 speed.