Turbo Selection for 4.0L

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I agree faily well with the article. I tried 4 different turboes on my 22RE motor (2.4 litre but only single cam 2 valve) and my final setup was a T3 stage 2 turbine with a .48 housing and the TO4E-60 trim compressor. I revved that beast to 7200 rpm and made 300 hp at 6200. Torque was over 300 lb ft from 3200 till past 6000 where the head could not flow enough to keep up. If I kept that motor I was going to switch the compressor to a TO4E-46 trim as it was a much better fit for low rpm boost. The 60 trim was in it's efficiency peak at my redline where the motor was giving up. I also ran a Buick G.N. turbo T3 but lightened turbine wheel and a custom (just for Buick) about 60 trim T3 compressor. I used a .36 AR exhaust housing and had 13 psi of boost before 1800 rpm, but fried it due to oversped on the top end. Switched to a .60 AR housing and it spooled slower, but still made 13 psi before 2800 and still could not keep up at high rpm. My first hybrid was still the TO4E- 60 but with a T3 stage 3 turbine in a 60 AR housing, it spooled VERY SLOW not making 13 psi until 4000 rpm. Turbonetics swapped out the turbin side for the Stage 2 .48 package. They over estimated the flow of my 2 valve head. I figure that 2.4 flowed like a fair 2.0 litre 4 valver. But it would not rev up like one.

The Lexus 1UZFE is closer to a pair of 3SFE motors if you look at torque curves and redline. The 3SG(T)E has a much better flowing head on it. I have wondered if a serious nutcase could graft the 3SGE heads onto a 1UZ?? It would be a huse project as the GE motors use 2 cam pulleys on each head and the left bank would have to be turned around backwards. It would be very interesting to see flow bench numbers from a 3SGE and a 3UZFE to see how they compare.

Gary M.