toyota T-18 with 1UZ.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

1UZ-T18

Hi i have just joined this forum and i have a few questions reguarding an engine transplant for my T-18 TE72 and i am interested in swapping...... u guessed it, a 1UZ-FE. i just need to find out the dimensions of the engine to see if it will fit but i am pretty sure it will as i have seen the AE86 sprinter with one in his engine bay and i think our bays are around the same size or mine could be a little larger as it uses a 1.8l not a 1.6l. i know some of u are thinking why would u do that but i think it will go hard for a car that weighs about 1000kgs with a quad cam 260hp v8. i have seen a few examples of my car with V8 conversions, one with rover 3.5l and one with a 4.2l holden v8 but not a 1UZ and i want to be different. plus id love to beat GEN3's HAHAHAHAHA. Also i need some idea of wheather i should get a half cut of just the engine, wiring, ECU etc? any info on the engine would be good for example which year V8 would be the best to get and what problems i might face when installing the engine or even what to look for when buying one. THANKS. pics of the car can be found at
HTML:
www.cardomain.com/id/toyt18
one more thing about the drivetrain. What gearbox and LSD diff would be best for my car and around 350hp from a modified 1UZ? also if anyone knows some brake upgrades that bold on my car from other models to get it passed through the pits would be helpfull.

I'll pass on what little information I know for sure :)

Half cut is your only option. That way you get EVERYTHING you need to do the conversion (even a schmick 4 spd auto box that is not too shabby apparently).

Most ppl seem to recommend getting a Crown half-cut with the separate ECU & ECT (tranny computer), that way you can change your gearbox easily. Prolly find them in the 94-97 year range. I think.

Things to look for? Obvious oil leaks for one, oil in the headers, compression for each cylinder, stuff like that. guys, what have i missed?

Cheers, Damo.

LSD?....nine inch, 3.5:1 with EA falcon discs.

the engine is a 700mm cube in dimensions. you will ned to convert to rack and pinion steering because the driver's side head will foul on the steering box.

get a front mount sump from memory. but dbl check that yoiuself, i've only ever seen one T18 engine bay.

tailshaft mods go without saying...

brakes....T18 brakes would have trouble stopping a runaway pram - let alone a 1UZFE powered pram! head over to www.toymods.org.au for brake upgrades.

and post pics when you're finished!

One thing to look for is the output of the standard auto trans. I got a 96 crown majesta half cut but the output shaft does not slide in or out and I had to convert to a slip yolk type. But the half cut is the only way to go. How many people are chasing little bits and piece that they did not get with there stand alone motor. Like coil ignighters, ecu, looms , air flow meters. It goes on and on. I think it works out cheaper to buy a front cut but be mindfull of your sump reqirments.

Definately get a Crown half cut with seperate engine and trans computers.
The crowns don't seem to have build years on them, I used a 130 series Crown Royal Saloon which I understand is around 1989. We put a battery in it and it came to life showing 120 000km on the odometer. The Japanese tend not to service cars much, as they don't stay on the road for many years like in Australia. For that reason I put a new cam belt in mine and one of the cam idler/tensioner bearings was a little noisey so that was replaced. I also put a new rear main seal in as it had a minor leak and is easy to replace with trans off. Other than that my 1UZ is sweet as, I dynoed it last Thursday and it is putting out 212 Hp / 161.5 kw at the wheels.(See my other posts for car details).
Regards.
Matt.