Shift patterns for a341e

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

krayn

Does any one know what the shift pattern is for the ls400. I just got mine going and it seems as though it takes off in secound but when you put your foot down past half throttle it kicks back to first. Is something wrong or is this how they operate. Kris

Kris,

What do u mean by shift pattern. Do u mean at what rpm the transmission shift? I have seen the diagram somewhere from member before.

Some volvos ect actually take off in second gear unless the driver selects first on the shifter. Is our tranny set up like this??? Or does it always shift 1,2,3,4.

Chris,

Most European autos start in 2nd unles overridden. This is to stop wheelspin in the snow and ice.

Only in the last 10 years have Mercedes stopped doing this and allowed 1st gear starts due to traction control.

My understanding is the 341 starts in first. With the lowish torque available and the weight of the SC400, LS400 and (I guess) the Crown it'd need to start in 1st.

Hi
I read somewhere (can't remember if it was on here or not) that the LS400 trans sits in 2nd gear when stationary to reduce rear end squat. It then shifts to 1st gear when the throtle is pressed........???

tobes, i think your kinda right.. i also read that when it is shifted from (let say) park to drive, it goes to second gear then quickly goes to 1st.. it does do this to prevent squat-- if you notice when you shift most cars form park to drive it tends to squat or lower dramaticaly because of the low gear ratio in 1st.. chris may be onto some thing--some volvos use the same type of trans from the same manufacturer-- but i think each auto manufacturer can tailor what the trans does to what they decide is best for the car they use it in..that sounds confusing, doesnt it? oh well..:???:

My half cut was a toyota crown majesta. 1996 model. It has the same ecu as the 96 LS 400, ie the trany and engine is controlled by the one ECU. On the console there is a swich that goes to the ecu for "power" or "snow". I asumed this just changes the shifts latter in the rev range but it may tell the trany to take off in second when "Snow" is selected. Im not sure as I still have not got the exhaust on yet to propely drive it arround. It is going into the exhaust shop this thursday.

i did some more checking,, and lexus did have some problems early on .. there were TSB s on trans that had some elctrical probs and the car would start in second..
and you are prob correct in thinking that the switch for snow does start the trans in second..one last thing.. some 341 transs do have a different 1st gear than other trans--like the 340..

I dont think my power/snow button is working correctly as when the button is pushed the shift pattern does not change, nor does the o/d button. But I can confirm that it does take off in first but changes into second at aprox 15km/h with light throttle.