Relocated Starter Motor

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
As part of my preparation for my Lightning intercooled supercharger I needed to relocae the starter so the intercooler could sit in the V where the starter used to live.

I have relocated it to the bottom of the engine. It lives between the two transmission supports on the sump.

I am using a mid mount sump with a rear mount oil pan which is offest to the left and slightly rearward. This give me room for the starter laid (slightly) on its side. I need to mill a section out of the sump and do a little tig work but nothing a competent welder (no me!) can sort out.

One advantage is the starter can be removed without disturbing anything else. The starter hangs 50mm lower then the sump but considering the starter is stil labove my front diff housing and 600mm off the ground, it is safe as houses.

Looks like I will have the only 1UZ-Fe with two starter motors as I will leave the original in until I remove the manifold for the supercharger install.

One day my supercharger will turn up from America and I can start on that.

pics, pics please...... one more advantage would be when your start goes out... you dont have to take both upper and lower intake out... that will save lots of time.... post some pics.. very interesting...

The brackets I made on the weekend are away being replicated so I can fit them fully.

It was really quite simple.

I have had a further play with the sump and I may just get away with changing the oil pan and not needing to cut up the original sump. It will be a mm either way.

I'll keep you posted. I want to try a proper fit this weekend but it is Fathers Day in Australia so I will be off with the familly do the "Fatherly" thing. And I thought that was teaching your sons how to pull an engine?

Zuffen
Nice work the other advantage would be matching to a flywheel then you could keep the ring gear of whot eveer it is the flywheel and clutch came from.
Not the best for me though it wouldn't last long 80 mm of the ground. will keep it in mind for all people doing a 4x4 conversion.

400ZED,

I hadn't thought about the flywheel situation.

You could use and old Holden flywheel (with the mounting bolt pattern changed) then use the old faithful 1 tonner pressure plate and whatever clutch plate you wanted.

For people doing 4x4 swaps (and there are heaps of them check the outerlimits4x4 Site) it would be perfect.

Once I get the adaptor back from some welding I will post some photos as it may help someone one day.

I had a further play with it last night and I may just make it fit under the sump without cutting into the alloy. All that would leave is for me to make an adaptor between the sump and oil pan to move the rear mount pan sideways.

Peewee,

I thought about waterproofing the starter but when I looked at it's location in relation to the chassis I concluded it was perhaps 10-15mm lower than the Range Rover Starter. I've drowned the original starter more times than I care to remember and it still cranks the old Rover motor over.

I think I will put a shield around it to stop driving spray off the road hitting it all the time but creek crossings will beat anything.

I pick up the adaptor this afternoon so hopefully I can get it fitted tonight and get some photos.

You're forgetting that 1uz starters are prone to failure.

90% of people who use a 1uz for a conversion have to rebuild the starter, otherwise she jsut wont crank.

But seeing that its in an easy to get to place, it is probably worth ignoring.

Peewee,

I wouldn't want the 1UZ starter in the standard place on a 4x4. Imagine trying to fix it in the middle of nowhere.

Don't forget if you did the relocate you could use another starter motor alltogether. he benefit of the 1UZ starter is it is so small.

I didn't get the adaptor today. BOC Gases burnt down in Sydney last night and the steel man ran out of gas. Can't have too much in reserve!

Maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Strange both engines I have cranked over no trouble.

removing the original starter takes 1 hour , leave the top manifold bolted to the bottom , just remove the head retaining bolts and wiring plugs and rails put it all to one side then remove starter
the starters should be good for 250 000 kilometres hassle free.