Need help. Only one coil firing

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Spooledx2

Gents,

So after the starter ordeal(still trying to sort that one out) I finally had a chance to return to working on the car. I fired up the car and it seemed to be running rough. So I backed it out of the garage and pulled out of the driveway. It had no power and felt like it was running on 4cyld's. I pulled it back in and started to look at it.

The first thing I did was pull the coil wire off of the lower coil and no change, I noticed that it didn't have any spark what so ever. So I thought sweet thats the problem. I went to the parts store and picked up a new coil and plugged it in.... No change at all....

After doing some searching on here I went out and did the ignitor test and swapped the plugs, to see if I could get it to switch the fire from the good coil to the dead one, no change at all. Which is great because they want 320. for a new ignitor at the parts store.

Next I looked at the plugs going into the coils themselves and followed the wires up to where they plug into by the oil fill cap. I unplugged one at a time and the engine died when I unplugged each one. The lower plug basically came apart in my hand..... old brittle plastic crap. Does anyone know if the plugs themselves can be replaced? Is there a Lexus/Toyota part number for them.

0103001534.jpg

0103001536.jpg

I also noticed that the wire down by the Serp belt had been worn through and had a little bare wire showing. Not sure what this runs to but , I will fix that before I continue.

So basically I am lost. Where do I go from here? There still isn't any spark from the coil at all. I have ruled out the ignitor's I think, but what would be the next course of action/ every time I unplug something the plug breaks, and this is something I will address when I drop in the new motor this spring, but until then I would like to get it back on the road.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Ramon

Ramon,
First off I would fix the plug that broke.

Whilst some won't agree with me, seeing you plan on pulling the engine I would dismantle the plug and join each wire to its correct mate and insulate them and leave them. Why struggle with putting new plugs on if it only has to run for a few months. The plug is only there so you can remove the tail end of the loom.

The damaged wire goes to the cam position sensor. Check it hasn't damage the conductor too much and if it hasn't insulate it.

I would keep checking the wiring for damaged plugs that aren't making a good connection.

You know both igniters are OK otherwise the fault would have swapped from one distributor to the other.

You also know both coils work as you have a new one on the driver's side.

Short of having a faulty cap, rotor or HT lead to the distributor on your driver's side you're left with wiring.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:D

Thanks once again Zuffen.
I read your post and got to thinking about the lower of the two plugs shown below, and how it was so badly broken when we reinstalled it. I wondered ,could I possibly put the plug in 180 deg. out since the outer shell was broken and there was no real way to tell how it went? So I took it apart and rotated the plug 180 and plugged it back in. The car fired right up, and I now have a ton of fire to coil and it runs right.
0103001534.jpg

Once again I love this site and truly appreciate all the help and knowledge you guys give to all of us(mainly me) moron newbs. :D I agree 100% Since I am yarding the motor out in a few months I will, wire it and insulate it well and leave it.

Whats the availability of a new harness or at least one that isn't broken to hell?

Thanks again gents, for all the help.

Ramon

Don't even think about a new loom from Toyota. Not sure if you have any offspring but it would cost you one or two of them if you purchased a new loom.

If the broken plug is on the small loom that goes down the front of the engine you should find one from someone on this Site. Try posting a Wanted ad.

I have the small loom's plug and may have the main loom's plug but I'm sort of the other side of a large pond from you.

We were all Noobies once. It was only 5 years ago that I had never seen a 1UZ!

Glad it sorted itself out for you.

Enjoy the car.

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated. Hopefully the new motor will have a good engine side harness, maybe I will look for a front clip or something.

I love this car, and the motor. Even thinking about putting a 1UZ in my Porsche 928...... Much cheaper to get parts for.....

Thanks again and cheers!

Ramon