Higher AMPS Alternator

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I am running 3 electric fans and at night the lights are on. These items just suck all the energy out of the alternator. I have a stock alternator and its not enough amps. Anyone know where i can get a higher 185 amps alternator besides JP1's 185 amps alternator?

Try Alterstart in Dallas. Their website sux, but if you get the right guy on the telephone, he'll sort you out. I bought a 185 amp alternator for my Supra from them for less than $250, and have been well satisfied with its output. I too have electric fans, a Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump driving a current hungry Supra fuel pump, a prelube pump, and some other electric gadgets.John

Do u know the website and which model it is for the Supra? I know alots of Toyota parts are compatible. Would changing to a smaller pulley help much?

Missed your earlier post, and yes Bobby is the right contact. I had one small issue with the fit of the alternator on my Supra, but it was easily rectified by milling one of the mounting bosses down about 7/32". Here's a pic:

I talked to him. He stated the internals are new but the cast housing is reman. I think most high amps alternators are reman with different internals.

Sorry about the huge image; I really suck at posting pics.David, feel free to redimension that pic if you want, or delete it altogether if it serves no value.

Newer V8 Tundras (I think 03-on) have 130-amp alternators on tow package equipped models. I have no idea if it'll fit though.

PS Dave check your PMs,I have some good news for ya :)

Standard crown alts are 100Amps yes no?

I have
6 driving lights
4 fans
winch
air compressor
plus a heep of other stuff to run.
The old one on my 2.8 wasn`t big enough and the ligths would dim heeps if the compressor kicked in.

I still want higher then 100amps but it will do for now if it is that size.

Gut's,

100AMPS it is.

I ran 2 100 Watt Super Oscars and 2 100 Watt Oscar pluses plus the usual other lighting, navigation gear, raaios, intercoms and dust lights (55Watts each).

I never had a problem with the lights dimming when the compressor kicked in and my old unit was 100Amp unit.

Once your winch batteries are charged they shouldn't make any difference.

I'd suspect voltage drop in the wiring. I know everyting from my Oscar plus reversing light down is relay driven. At a guess I would say my car has 50 relays in it. This is the only way to ensure you get max power where you want it. I run dedicated feeds to the relays so I don't keep sucking power from one overworked little wire. Each driving light and head light ect, has it's own power feed to a relay to run just that one light.

Same.

2.8s only have about a 50 or 60 amp alt, what ever it is/was it was under 100amps.
All cables in my lux are way over sized, eg my winch has 70mm cables, my starter has 50mm cable I could go on if you want. Remember I am a sparky by trade and my normal navi (best mate) is an auto sparky by trade.

Thing is I have to allow for night stages in which I might have to winch which as you should know can pull up to 400amps.

Have you thought about running a second alternator to feed the winch batteries. It wouldn't be too hard to mount a second alternator above the airconditioning compressor.

When we raced we didn't use winches as it was mostly desert work so not much to anchor to. Iif you got stuck you backed up and hit it harder!

Back up and hit it harder, yep sounds the same to me lol

If I was to mount a second alt it would be a 24v one which would charge a pair of batteries hooked up in series that feed a 24v winch, has better/faster pulling power and less amps because of the higher volts.

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 222