Engine transplant Laws/Rules ???? Eng. Size : Weight ratio ???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Drizt

Whats the laws for conversions in victoria, Australia of course ????

is there a capacity limit per car weight??

is there any rules in particular ???

say a stock car weights 1250.. and u wonna shove a different engine in there what are the rules...

Like can you shove any capacity engine in there ???

If the car used to have 4 cylinders and was a 2Litre... does that restrict what engine can replace it ?

I'm in Queensland and the regulations up here may well differ to victoria.
As with any modification you are well advised to consult the relevant transport authorities before performing any mods.

with our conversion the car will not be re-registered (unfortunately) and is intended for track use only.( but gees the power to weight ratio is going to be great)

You might find it helpful to just give a local engineer a phone call. I'm pretty sure you can get away with alot in a car that's 1250kg (nissan by chance???)...

you'll need to get the conversion signed off by a VASS certified signatory.

there are limits for capacity/weight, but they tend to be generous in the extreme. you could put a big block in a pedal car (almost...)

basically, the VASS guy will probably make you put all the pollution stuff (CATS etc) from the donor car into the project car, and make you upgrade the brakes to suit the upgraded power output. sometimes they crack the sads if the engine is as heavy as the rest of the car combined, but i doubt you'll have that trouble with a UZ (assuming you use an aluminium one...)

The current Vic Roads regs state that any increase in displacement must be engineered, but the scope is pretty broad. There is however a new set of regs being circulated to engineers at present. These are the hi(low)lights:
maximum of 2 cyl increase so no more v8 into 4cyl
max displacement of 3x gross for atmo and 2.5x for forced induction unless factory spec exceeds. ie a 1000 kg car can have max 3Lt
These are not law yet so if you plan something radical get some engineering paperwork and parts built/bought. If you can demonstrate a significant commitment to the project prior to the new laws you can ask for special dispensation.

DOC ADE said:
The current Vic Roads regs state that any increase in displacement must be engineered, but the scope is pretty broad. There is however a new set of regs being circulated to engineers at present. These are the hi(low)lights:
max displacement of 3x gross for atmo and 2.5x for forced induction unless factory spec exceeds. ie a 1000 kg car can have max 3Lt
These are not law yet so if you plan something radical get some engineering paperwork and parts built/bought. If you can demonstrate a significant commitment to the project prior to the new laws you can ask for special dispensation.
Thanks for the news.. although that sucks the big one....

DOC ADE said:

when are the new laws coming into place?

just fyi, this is the weights needed to fit 4L: ;)
1334kgs N/A
1600kgs FI
(unless the car came with a bigger engine from factory....ahh the joys of 1100kg Torana's :D)

It changes when you hit 1000kg. Under 1000kg, its the factor as mentioned above.
Over 1000kg, you can have bigger size engine.

Also, this is just a GUIDELINE for easy engineering.

You can to WHATEVER YOU WANT, provided you do the necessary safety and structural improvements to go along with it.

Check this thread on the Toyota Cressida forums
http://thermactor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1716
It tells you everything for every state of Aus

Chassis type is also a factor, whether is a mono-cock (spelling) or full chassis.
I have an EH holden which weighs 2460 pounds with mono-cock, and i can legally fit a turbo 4ltr in it.

Peewee said:
It changes when you hit 1000kg. Under 1000kg, its the factor as mentioned above.
Over 1000kg, you can have bigger size engine.

Also, this is just a GUIDELINE for easy engineering.

You can to WHATEVER YOU WANT, provided you do the necessary safety and structural improvements to go along with it.

Check this thread on the Toyota Cressida forums
http://thermactor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1716
It tells you everything for every state of Aus
Unfortunately the vic roads site side steps very well. It says almost nothing about what is LEGAL in VICTORIA. All states are different. We all need to move to Northrern Territory. As I said originally, my information came from a licensed engineer who thought the idea of using 1UZ for an engine swap was great! The new regs had been sent to him as an indication of what is being considered by vicroads. So if you're gonna do it in vic, do it now!

everyone on this board is a mono-cock (unless some of you are serpents, which are lucky enough to have two), but i believe the single-structure chassis type of which you are referring is "monocoque".

the rules change for every type of vehicle.

for four cyls, it's 3x for NA, 2.5x for FI for vehicles under 1100kgs.
for 6 cyls, it's 4.16x for NA and 3x for FI over 1100kgs.

if the car has a full chassis, "generally" you can go to the NA limit for FI.

this is as per Rino McKayze, the chief engineer at Wleshpool.

so, if my full chassis 6cyl weighs 1321kg, i can fit 5.5L turbocharged engine (4.16x).

pro240c said:
the rules change for every type of vehicle.

for four cyls, it's 3x for NA, 2.5x for FI for vehicles under 1100kgs.
for 6 cyls, it's 4.16x for NA and 3x for FI over 1100kgs.

if the car has a full chassis, "generally" you can go to the NA limit for FI.

this is as per Rino McKayze, the chief engineer at Wleshpool.

so, if my full chassis 6cyl weighs 1321kg, i can fit 5.5L turbocharged engine (4.16x).
so what would this mean for nissan s14 200sx ... they weigh approximately 1250kgs and start off as a 2L 4cylinder car ....

okay, so it's a 4pot over 1100kgs, no full chassis.

(edit, just read my post. clarification - a 4cyl over 1100kgs is weighted as a 6cyl - hence why a 13B turbo is legal in an RX4 but not legal in an RX2/3)

that puts it in the 6cyl category, so 4.16x for NA and 3x for FI.

so your maximum NA engine size is 5.2L, max FI size is 3750L.

this is according to the "blue bible" - each state though has it's own "interpretation".
eg. QLD DOT says a turbocharged engine has some weird multiplication factor (1.7x or some sh1t) - so divide the max FI size by 1.7 and that's the max ACTUAL capacity you're allowed.
so 3.75L / 1.7 = 2.205L turbocharged.

see the loophole there? :(