Doing the 5 speed swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jakespeeds

I have just started really getting into building the kit for my own 5 speed swap. I have an entire sheet metal & machine shop at my own use, an engineering background and years of Solidworks. So this is just plain fun for me going from scratch. As I have started finding the parts I decided on a R154 MKIII turbo transmission. In getting all the parts together to adapt the automatic bellhousing to the R154 I knew I was going to have to adapt a hydraulic throwout bearing. So in looking around for one I like I found one at Speedway Motors. The nose of the front bearing plate on a R154 measured 1.3735. The Speedway motors hydraulic bearing part # 91025602 has an inner diameter of 1.380. The fit is factory like and self centers perfectly. Not sure how I will mount it yet. But thought I would post up a nice find.
121109-01.JPG

121109-02.JPG

121109-03.JPG

121109-04.JPG

121109-05.JPG

121109-06.JPG

Jake

The problem with that style bearing is that you have to space it out so far that it's barely on the guide tube by the time you have it out far enough to disengage the clutch. I went through dozens of different bearing setups before I decided on what bearing to use.. one of the ideas I came up with though is to make a custom bearing cover plate, or just build the cover plate into the adaptor. Which would actually be the easiest thing to do if you want to stick with that style bearing.