Convince me - 1UZ+avgas

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mental

Ok, I have been doing alot of research lately on the 1UZ and am at a logger head.

I race a Cortina in a small club in Victoria, Australia. I am planning on moving into up a class next season and have narrowed my choice of engines down to 3. The almighty 351 Cleveland, a 1JZ-GTE or a 1UZ. The class rules are NO Nos, No FI V8/10/12. Anything else goes really.

To be competitive I have to have around 400+ FW/HP. I know I can do that with a Clevo or a 1jz-gte without to much hassles. The 1UZ is a can of worms at the moment.

Definates for install:
Custom Mandrel Exhaust, short with no mufflers.
Bigger Injectors
Avgas
Megasquirt II running either factory timing gear or Ford EDIS.

Will also be running the A341E auto as well.

Now the old rule of more revs = more power applies here and the best way to achieve more grunt is to make her sing. Current gearing says 7000+ is going to be right in the ball park for a clean run down the straight without having to hunt for another gear. And this is a reeeall benefit as the straight is to short to be looking for gears.

Questions:
Will milling the heads result in a change in CAM timing?
Is 400fw/hp possible with standard cams and intake?
Am I -going- to have to go ITB (damn it looks horn)
is 7000+rpm possible with standard heads or is it going to choke? (engine is from a 95 sc400)

Fire Away!

im pretty sure there is quite a bit already on this site for engines like you want. do a big search. the general theme is cams, head work, itb's, higher comp pistons, balancing, revs, more revs, individual coil packs, etc etc etc

at least these days alot of it can be got off the shelf, so it shouldnt be too hard for you. ie. 400+hp easy with enough money.

ps. dont you mean rwhp?

Ok, Definates for install:
Custom Mandrel Exhaust, short with no mufflers.
Bigger Injectors
Avgas
Megasquirt II running either factory timing gear or Ford EDIS.

Will also be running the A341E auto as well.

You need a decent fuel AND ignition computer.

Questions:
Will milling the heads result in a change in CAM timing?
Is 400fw/hp possible with standard cams and intake?
Am I -going- to have to go ITB (damn it looks horn)
is 7000+rpm possible with standard heads or is it going to choke? (engine is from a 95 sc400)

Fire Away!

Yes - cam timing will change
No - not with std cams or manifold
Yes - ITB's required
Yes - 7500+ rpm with std heads and cams + ITB's (NOT with std lower manifold though)

Engine dyno graph at
http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6898
post #9

You need a decent fuel AND ignition computer.

Yes - cam timing will change
No - not with std cams or manifold
Yes - ITB's required
Yes - 7500+ rpm with std heads and cams + ITB's (NOT with std lower manifold though)

Engine dyno graph at
http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6898
post #9

This is what I wanted to see I guess (as much as it was expected, it still dissapoints me)

Conservative estimates have me at $8000aus for:-
engine + gearbox
cams, springs and seals
ITB setup (custom)
forged rods and pistons (for desired comp)
Megasquirt + WB o2 sensor + injectors
Various odds and ends (efi fuel pump for example)

Problem is, if I was to spend 8k on a clevo I would have an easy 550fw/hp and room for more go in the future. 8k on a 1JZ-GTE would be an absolute ball tearer from 3500-8000rpm ... so there-in lies my dilema, how much is left in a 1UZ after all the above??