Brand new kid here...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

nateframe

Hi all, just registered here on the boards. I would like to learn more about doing conversions with these engines. Lets face it, the 350 swap is getting old. Time for something new. Lets take a car here, say a datsun 240, or something like it. What exactly must be done in terms of wiring to get this engine to run? Are standalone wiring harnesses available? The mechanical part I assume is just like any other engine conversion? I know these engines can be made to produce some serious power so I would like to know all about them, and see photos of any conversion anyone would be willing to share.

thanks, -nate-

Now that's a real mouthful in one post... Welcome to the forums.

Yes, the SBC conversions with their big double pumper Holley's are getting pretty old and just don't turn heads anymore. But a twin turbo or supercharger setup on a "new technology" fuel injected, DOHC V8 is pretty cool.

Not many "kits" yet for conversions - it's still pretty much DIY. There are adaptor plates and bellhousings available from Australia and NZ, as are the engine internals. Here in the US, there are some go-fast engine bits being sold, but not much yet.

If you're interested in doing a 1UZ specifically in a 2?0Z vehicle, have a look at www.hybridz.org. That's a friendly place and those guys have stuffed nearly everything into their Z's. Do a search there with "1UZ" and you'll get a number of hits, but be sure to come back here when you want to learn more about this great motor! It's all been done already, and there are lots of photos and good technical writeups. The search engine here is your friend....

thanks for that link. I was thinking about the 5VZ-Fe swap with a trd supercharger or custom twin turbo/intercooled setup. But there is no replacment for displacment. Am I required to find an entire donar vehicle with the ecu and complete wiring harness? Or is there a better option?

Post an ad in our classifieds section stating what you want, although on this forum, you probably won't find many people selling 4 cylinder motors. If the V6's look attractive, Toysrme is the authority on those.

This place really is more about the UZ family and the V8's of the future.

Also start monitoring eBay for engines; we've seen 1UZ's going for less than $500 on eBay.... To be sure, these motors may have cut harnesses, and may not have all the driven accessories, but all that can be worked around. And if you're doing a swap, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to retain the OEM ECU - think about doing a standalone, especially if your plans include turbo or supercharging.

Attachments

• 1urmains.JPG
    1urmains.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 8
could you ponit me in the direction of these standalones. I have seen them for cars like my DSM, at around 1500 dollars, is the price the same for these engines. Sorry, I don't know much about the aftermarket engine control systems out there. It sounds attractive, because you dont have to work around the factory ecu.

Here is another stupid question, but are the UZ engines "efficient". Like say I put one in my jeep that currently has a 4 banger and gets 18-19 mpg. Say there was no difference in driving habits, would this engine get better mpg? I know many who do fuel injected vortec swaps get an extra 3-5 mpg, because the engines are so much more efficient than the amc inline engines.

What manual trannys can these be hooked to easiely. An r150F?

thank you very much for all your help. -nate-