4.7 V-8 Valve Adjustments

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Bergmen

Brand new 2006 V-8 Tundra owner here. Dealer told me this thing had hydraulics but when my factory service manuals arrived (Volumes 1 & 2) realized it had shims under buckets.

Postings in other forums have advised me to forget about it, they seldom need a shim change. But if it ever does, holy cow, there goes the weekend!

Have any of you out there had to change one or more shims? If so, how many miles on engine? More than one shim?

As a mechanical engineer and long time Japanese auto and motorcycle owner I have been critical of a general sense of lack of modernization of the valve trains with respect to being maintenance-free. This is one system that should never need attention in this day and age.

JMHO

Dan

Hey Dan,

Welcome to our forum. There are 32 shims in your engine. You can pretty much forget about it. I am not sure which dealer you went to but I would stay away from them. The shims are on top of the retainer and the bucket is over it. They would almost never go bad.

I love the 06 2UZFE motor. Why, it has oil injectors under the pistons. Very cool. I thought about doing that for my 2uzfe but my builder said I would have massive oil issue because of the piston rings clearance issue.

Hey Dan,

Welcome to our forum. There are 32 shims in your engine. You can pretty much forget about it. I am not sure which dealer you went to but I would stay away from them. The shims are on top of the retainer and the bucket is over it. They would almost never go bad.

I love the 06 2UZFE motor. Why, it has oil injectors under the pistons. Very cool. I thought about doing that for my 2uzfe but my builder said I would have massive oil issue because of the piston rings clearance issue.

Yeppers, have never been back, I do all of my own work on all of my vehicles and have for the last 40 years or so. I don't go to dealers for anything regarding service or repair anyway, I just like to ask them questions to see where they are on the stupid scale. The salesdroid was actually a pretty good guy on all other fronts so I was okay with him. I have never encountered one who was a gearhead anyway so I wasn't surprised.

I took a look at the oil injection system in the manual that you mention here and it is very impressive, a great idea to be sure.

At a 60,000 mile check interval, the suggestion is they don't need much attention but if they are having you pull the valve cover with a feeler gauge in hand, the potential for a shim change is there even though it sounds very slight.

At 90,000 miles when the the belt-ectomy is required is when I would do shim swap if necessary. I like them running loose, since my experience is that clearances tighten over time. I would presume this engine is no different.

Thanks for the quick reply. Since you have quite a bit of experience with these engines, I can certainly take your response very seriously.

JMHO

Dan

Swapping shim is very hard for the VVTi (98 and newer motor). It require that your timing belt to come off. Pre 98 V8 engines doesn't have to do that. Your engine shims are under the bucket and pre 98 shims are on top of the bucket and cams doesnt have to come off.