1uz Power Steering pump issues

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

elliotaw

Have a 1uz in my ford capri (still building).

Made up a set of power steering pipes for it last week and today tightened it all up and filled the pump reservior with fluid. Started the motor and I have no power assistance at all.

I pulled the pipes and attached them to a really old ford pump and hooked it up to an electric drill and it works fine so theres an issue with the 1uz pump somehow.

I tried swapping round the two vacuum hoses as I dont know what way they go but that made no difference.

Is there anything particular to these pumps ? Need a special fluid or way of bleeding ?

Any other ideas ?

Cheers,

Elliot

The two vacuum lines only make the engine "idle up" when you wind on lock.

I've always just filled it with auto trans fluid fired it up and wound it from lock to lock to get the air out and all's good.

Are you sure you have the oil flowing through the p/s box the correct direction.

Cheers for the reply Rod. I've sorted the problem now. When I rebuilt the pump it was done at the same time as the alternator, starter motor and god knows what else. Everything was stripped down nut and bolt. Parts were were sent to one shop for plating and another for polishing and everything came back in one big box of mixed up parts. I dont have any manuals so just put everything back together from memory and the few bad internet assembly drawings I could find.

The problem with the pump was I had assembled the control valve and spring back to front. It's really bizzare, when you hold the parts in your hand they actually look like theyve meen made to fit together the way I put them together.... anyhow... its all working again !

I have been putting the odd clip of my project up on youtube.

Heres with my new home made open headers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lZRlB6s9K4

Heres with some cats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeeFCv_Ecw8

Going to hand make some mufflers next.......

Elliot