1UZ into a Triumph TR6

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sonoramike

I bought a 1uzfe allegedly from a 96 SC400 with 44k miles. It came with mostly complete top to bottom, side to side - the computer and engine wiring harness are intact, catalytic's still installed on exhausts with sensors, and an A340E auto trans all bolted up with cables and trans harness. pictures to follow I'm sure. couldn't turn the deal down.

I'm really new to this motor, but love the way it runs in my 92 SC400 even with 198k miles - buttery smooth with gobs of torque. I was going to use a big block Buick 455 in my swap since I'm more familiar with old Detroit iron, and have done all the machine work on the BBB and just need to assemble it. But I like the Toyota motor so much that I decided that I'm changing horses midstream and am selling off the 455 to help fund the Toyota install once I get the 1UZ running. But I have a huge learning curve in front of me that I'm looking forward to. Long term I think this motor holds more "fun" potential and I'm sick of working on Rochester carbs -- all hail EFI.

So I'll begin at the beginning - I'd like to fire the motor up to confirm running condition but I need some help in getting going.

1) how do I ID the year - is there a badge somewhere on the motor that would have that info? I have the electronic service manual pages d/l'd from Toyota TIS but can find no reference in it for a serial # location.

2) I don't have any of the ignition circuit/harness (that I'm aware of), what sort of wiring config can I cobble together to get the thing started? I can get the starter motor wiring worked out, but the not sure how to spoof the ECU into starting the motor.

3) I don't want to run the power steering pump or the AC pump, is there a serpentine belt setup that will allow me to remove these so that I'm left with just crank, alternator, and water pump? need to move alternator up higher too.

I've been hip deep in the search screen but can't come up with much info to help me yet - suggestions/comments/links? Any and all help going forward very appreciated. Oh, and if you're looking for Buick 455 parts I'm your man.

1. There are some rumors on this topic in our forum. Do a search and let us know if you find anything.

2. Head to a local junk can get the harness. Save lots of down time and headaches.

3. You dont need PS or AC if you dont want. You can move the alternator higher by relocating it. Do a search on Engine Build Up II and see my alternator relocation.

1. There are some rumors on this topic in our forum. Do a search and let us know if you find anything.

Honest to god I have spent mucho time on the search page, I know that's a gentle nudge and I appreciate the restraint from using the sledge hammer on me - but for the life of me I can't find anything about how to ID a motor, probably not using the right keyword or something. I swear I'm usually pretty self sufficient :ugh1:

2. Head to a local junk can get the harness. Save lots of down time and headaches.

local yards have 0 lexus cars in stock, but I'm keeping an eye peeled. in the meanwhile my prudent use of the search page found this: http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4435

3. You dont need PS or AC if you dont want. You can move the alternator higher by relocating it. Do a search on Engine Build Up II and see my alternator relocation.

reading now, thanks.

btw - any news on availability of 36-1 trigger wheels? I'm up for 2 if you have them. http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5977&page=4 - bottom of page 4

looks like you still have the PS pump inline?

attachment.php

Mike there should be a tag with a barcode on the timing cover. If you can peel that tag off, and bring it to a Lexus dealer and scan it, that might give you the year of the motor.

The tag will probably peel right off - then you could take it to a dealer and see what kind of info they can get from it.

No guarantees, but it looks like the sort of thing that a dealer could use to get the style, year, etc. from.

There is a serial number plate on the lower right front side of the block. Here's a pic showing the location, and a closeup giving the info from my block. Seems like I already asked a dealer parts guy if he could give me the year with this serial number info, but he couldn't. I didn't ask about the barcode tag, however.

Attachments

• jailbar 011.jpg
    jailbar 011.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 4
got that plate info off of mine and called the dealer, that 'Serial Number' plate is actually the VIN of the car that the motor came out of. Turns out I actually have a 1UZ out of a Feb 94 SC400. Mystery solved

Dohhhh, it does have 17 digits doesn't it...... I missed that too. Guess I need to find someone to run a CarFax for me too. I'm pretty sure my motor came out of a '93 SC400.

BTW, I talked to several techs at a Lexus dealer today and they said that barcode on the timing cover tag is used only by the OEM during assembly, and it has no useful information for the dealer or the owner.