1UZ in a 280SE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

RichZilla

I bought an '81 Mercedes 280SE with a trashed motor last week for $450.

P7070620.jpg

I disconnected most of the engine bay stuff and removed the auto on Saturday. This weekend I'll be removing the engine in preparation for the 1UZ that should hopefully be arriving next week.

The plan is to fit a complete front sump 1UZ and auto trans using the Toyota ecu. Having wired many of these up before, this will be easy for me.
I may also somehow integrate the toyota shifter into the merc as the old merc auto was only 3 speed. Or I'll put an overdrive switch in somewhere depending on how much effort is involved in making the toyota shifter look right in the merc.

I'm planning to use the 1UZ hydraulic fan pump to run the Merc's self levelling suspension. This should hopefully not cause too many dramas.

I'm yet to decide on an exhaust, but it'll be fairly quiet. Probably something like twin 2" or 2.25" using twin in/twin out mufflers.

The engine bay in this thing is massive, so the 1UZ should fit no worries. I'm not after power, just something with a little bit of go and something a bit nicer to work on than the mechanically injected six that's in there.

Now, the question is, what to do with the other two cars I have. There's no chance I'm gettting rid of my VG30DET powered Z31 300ZX. Which leaves the old LD Astra. Don't want to get rid of that thing either - unless the merc can use less than 10L of fuel per 100km!

Update

I pulled the Merc engine out today and discovered there's a ridiculous amount of room and there! Maybe for two turbos later....

No longer is this thread relevant to this forum. I called to buy a 1UZ front sump engine and auto on Monday, but none were available until september. Called a couple of other importers, but nothing suitable.

So I have a VH45DE coming for it tomorrow instead.

I finished this conversion about 6 months ago and it well and truly put things into perspective about how good the 1UZ is. The Merc weighs 1620kg, and obliterates many a car on the road. I finished putting a 1UZ into a VS wagon at work and quickly discovered the lack of torque compared to the VH. If you have the room, go the VH! It is just as well built as the 1UZ, and its cheaper.
Imagea039.jpg

mind posting some conversion pics?

any sump dramas?

what exhaust did you use?

stock gearbox?

there are a number of people on here who like the VH/VQ motors just as much as their UZs.

it would be greatly appreciated if you could post up the infill information!

Pics and details here: http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/266156
I went with a forward facing log manifold for the driver's side which went under the inner pivot on the lower control arm. On the passenger side, I made a rear facing log. Then went with twin 2.5" cats (because 2.25" ones don't seem to exist) into EF falcon sedan rear muffler bodies in front of the diff, then into a dual 2.25" SS 18" long 6" round rear muffler. Quiet at idle, but sounds crazy when you boot it. I have surprised/angered so many people in this car. They totally crack the shits when they get beaten by an old merc.

It got hail damaged at the end of last year and my enthusiasm for the car has died. I'll be selling it shortly.

shame considering the amount of work put into it.

it sounded like you just "dropped" it in, but clearly there was more to it than that.

i'm amazed that you got it thru licensing with the crossmember left open (where you cut for the starter). did you end up plating the top?

That was a very nice setup with that engine.

Did you get that stock computer with the engine ??
For long time I am seeking for VH45 with the ECU .. but I didn't find !!

It is a strong engine with less price .. ~ 300 USD

Yep got both standard ECCS ECU and Auto ECU with the engine. A bit more expensive than $300 US here, but still $200 cheaper than a 1UZ.