18000 mile 1UZFE, where to put the money in a mild High performance rebuild

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

XT-1

180,000 mile 1UZFE, where to put the money in a mild High performance rebuild

Okay so I was able to score a 1991 LS400 and the only drawback is the mileage....180000, I am putting this and its harness into my 1992 Toyota 4runner.
What should I replace/rebuild on a 1UZ? what parts can be reused and what should be replaced, as well as when I am in there what should I upgrade to produce a bit more reliable HP? any tricks to do while inside one of these? I want RELIABLE horsepower, the kind you can still drive cross country with.

whats does a "typical" rebuild consist of on one of these?

yes I will post the build of the 4runner in the "projects DAIRY" lol

any internal parts? just a hone/rering or upsize on pistons at that mileage?

Attachments

• CompressorInlet.JPG
    CompressorInlet.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 2
  • TurbineInlet.JPG
    TurbineInlet.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 2
  • TurbineOutlet.JPG
    TurbineOutlet.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 2
no, its a good idea to replace all the bearings and rings. you should get better compression. if you dont the new rings and bearings will certainly last longer, so you wont have to worry about them on the trail(unless your just unlucky). 180000 is a lot of miles, so it would be wise to at least check the valve seals, and to check for any other overly worn parts. a general cleaning would also be a good idea, on the upper end atleast.

If the engine is using oil replace the rings... These motors can handle those miles if maintained properly, no problem.... I would maybe take a good look at the water pump and timing belts but that would be it......

These motors are tanks...

Anaema,

How many of these engines have you worked on?

I repeat dont disturb the short block unless you plan on putting in low comp pistons etc.

I agree with Jibby, If it's using oil strip it down.

I would do a compression check. Inspect the oil in the sump, maybe pressure check the cooling system if posible. Why strip it down if its ok? You can check most of the critical stuff hence the above. Water pump, timing belt and idler+tensioner I would change while you have it out. I did head gaskets on mine to just to be sure. Everything else like distributor caps, leads etc you can do if they prove faulty later. Listen to what everyone has to say on here+your own judgement and you wont go far wrong. Mechanicaly if the motor has had a regular service/oil swap I dont see why it shouldn't be good for another 180000 so long as its not been standing unused for a long time. These motors realy are that good.

Attachments

• judo 017.jpg
    judo 017.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for all the advice, I will post up the compresion #s here and let you guys decide- I figured that these would be like any other Toyota engine. If taken care of 300000 miles is not a unobtainable # to get (I have cracked open an L.C. engine *FZJ80* gasser @300,000, and it still had the cross hatching on the cylinder walls!!) and many of my 22rs looked like new when doing my headgaskets and head studs @200000 miles.

I wanted to ask people more familiar with the 1UZ (like you guys here) about anything to do or look for.
And from the PM items Lextreme mentioned to compression checking/oil consumption is where I will go with this before I tear into it (hopefully not saving some $$$ for other mods for the conversion).

I will post up the compression #s in a couple of weeks and see what you guys think.