Methonal Injection Harm???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

glory

Ok, i ordered my Aquamist 2d system and i have some concerns.
the Aquamist company says 50%Meth 50% Water is acceptable for use in their pump, but what about my engine?

2uzfe, toyota V8 , Cast block , Aluminum Heads,intake,TRD spec (Eaton M90).

I say Toyota Spec. because the blower has two injectors they had designed
to flow fuel onto the blower lobes on the backside of the unit. Now i read somewhere that Eaton advises against gasoline being put through the blower unit.

questions...
Do you think Toyota had the TRD blower internal seals,gaskets changed/upgraded to deal with the gasoline in the blower housing?

How could i find this out? Who ,if anyone,would i call and ask?
(TRD offers no info to customers from my experience.)

Do you think a 50/50 mix H2O/Meth would harm the aluminum blower case, seals,gaskets or the Aluminum intake runners?

I also am wondering if methonal is so harsh on certain metals then why would windshield washer fluid not eat away the metal around the windshield or the wiper arms themselves?

Am i worried about nothing?

Glory,

Please dont take this in a negative way. I would not worry about methanol eating up you intake. I would worry more about the engine under boost. Most kits on the market today are not corrosive resistance. That is why i stated before about quality parts.

Lextreme said:
Glory,

Please dont take this in a negative way. I would not worry about methanol eating up you intake. I would worry more about the engine under boost. Most kits on the market today are not corrosive resistance. That is why i stated before about quality parts.

thanks Lex, i know it seems like im worried about nothing to you but thats cause you have run these setups befor and im just trying to be extra carfull asking everyone who knows about this stuff befor doing it.

perhaps you could offer me a suggestion as to where to place the actual injector.
if you look at a pic of the 2UZFE in a Tundra you can see the large tube feeding the throttlebody.
so would you place it close to the air box giving the mist more time in the air tube feeding the blower or...
would you place it right at the 90 degree bend in the air tube just befor the throttlebody?

thanks for your help on this, your about the only person ive talked to who has actually run water/methonal injection so your word is basically gospel to me : )

i think your getting metho and methanol mixed up.

metho is stuff you buy in a bottle from the supermarket which is achole. used in windscreen wipers and is not crosive.

methanol is the race fuel. it is a petrolium product it will crode parts of your fuel system.

hope this helps a little

V8 Hilux said:
i think your getting metho and methanol mixed up.

metho is stuff you buy in a bottle from the supermarket which is achole. used in windscreen wipers and is not crosive.

methanol is the race fuel. it is a petrolium product it will crode parts of your fuel system.

hope this helps a little

maybe i am but i swear i was at a parts store the other day and the windshield washer fluid clearly stated it had Methonal in it and it.
not to mention when i contacted my local race fuel dist. he told me they had thought of selling windshield fluid because all it really is = methonal+water w/blue dye+ weting agents.

can you tell me how?

Lextreme said:
Post some pictures on your engine bay and intake and we can suggest where is the better choice on injector.

id love to do this but i dont know how to post pics on this site.

Take some 640 x 480 and click "Post Reply" and look on the bottom "Picture Management" and browse where your pictures are located. Either in your hard drive or storage media and just upload it.

Methanol (CH3OH) is methyl alcohol or "wood alcohol" it is is produced naturally in the anaerobic metabolism of many varieties of bacteria (rortting wood). Methanol is not a petroleum byproduct and it is not corrosive, however it can degrade some types of rubber used in car's fuel supply systems. Gasoline is typically C8H18. Ethanol (the type you drink) is C2H5OH and Nithromethane is CH3NO2.

You shouldn't be having to worry if methanol is corrosive to the engine or not, because you should be fitting the water spray nossle just after the throttle body anyway.

If you have it before the blower, yes you might damage the blower. Water will not vaporise anywhere near as well as gasoline will. I've heard of a water spray system being used on centrifical superchargers and turbo's ok, provided the nossel mists nicely. Either way, wear will occur. Not because of the corrosion factor, but the abrasive action of water hitting the impeller blades.

Also, if you run an intercooler, injecting into the intake before the supercharger allows you to run the risk that when the air charge is compressed, it will cause the water to re-condense and pool. Then if you realy get stuck into it, you can end up with it sucking in a **** load of water all at once. Resulting in detonation (water doesn't compress), or worst case a hydraulic lockup.

The whole advantage of the aquamist systems is that they inject water at high pressure (50 psi), so they can be injected into the air stream after the air is compressed.

As for methanol being used, everyone you talk to will give you a diferent answer or opinion about it. Yes does help cool the combustion charge it also give a little extra hp as it burns as well, but it is also corrosive and in time will damage your pumps. Its easier to just run straight demineralised water, and if you discover that isn't enough, then consider running a larger nossel(aquamist can advise you based on the engine capacity and boost level you are running).

Methanol and alloy tanks don't go together too well. You will get a build up of a white aluminium oxide powdery stuff in the tank, so I'd imagine the same is true for the blower housing. If you go down the methanol path, use a plastic tank.

there's my 2 cents worth...

Cheers
Ian.

pics of the engine bay and blower.

1st - i have no choice but to run the mist befor the throttle body.
im not going to plum anything into my intake for this mod. this will cause the mist to travel through the blower lobes which aquamist says is fine to do.

2nd - at what point do you guys think would be the best location for the nozzle along the air intake tube?
thanks